Monks utility? 10/30/2017 02:26 PM CDT
What does the monk do to contribute to society?
Re: Monks utility? 10/30/2017 03:03 PM CDT
>> What does the monk do to contribute to society?

Mine frequently espouses words of wisdom. Whether these contributions will result in the betterment of society remains yet to be seen.

On a more technical note - I find the Mindward spell to be helpful at cap (I generally hunt self spelled/what I can get of scrolls or items but I happen to have an item that casts this spell x per day and find it to be very useful).

If we ever see an ARTISAN BREWING skill I would expect monks to have the highest profession bonus in this skill! :-)

The profession is a bit light mechanically (in terms of utility to other characters) when compared to some of the other professions but they are also the newest profession on the scene and weren't around when a lot of the profession development / overall game balance was being developed. What thoughts do you have for expanding the monks role in making notable contributions to society? Keep in mind that simply adding net positives can be somewhat disruptive to game balance and may require additional changes to counterbalance or offset any new changes introduced.

-- Robert

Damp deeply exclaims, "It's a wizard's locked project!"
Re: Monks utility? 10/30/2017 03:10 PM CDT
I thought Provoke/1235 was their big addition?
Swarm On Demand.
Re: Monks utility? 10/30/2017 03:14 PM CDT
>> I thought Provoke/1235 was their big addition? Swarm On Demand.

My monk hasn't attained that level of enlightenment yet but that definitely is a new and interesting utility ability and worthy of mention!

-- Robert

Damp deeply exclaims, "It's a wizard's locked project!"
Re: Monks utility? 10/30/2017 03:33 PM CDT
Mine, either, but that's easily "usable for 3/4 of the game", like Tonis...
And lasts 3x as long, base.

(There's a Lore benefit for both: one [Bard] increases duration, one [Monk] increases the potency of the provocation.)
Re: Monks utility? 10/30/2017 05:31 PM CDT
If you are building a house but forget your hammer, a monk can be used to punch the nails into place.

Otherwise, I guess there is the spell mentioned, future recharging of shimmer trinkets with 1212, and increasing mental TD. Clearly we just need more Savant-esque monsters.

Personally, I think monks should be able to assess unarmed combat usable gear with the same requirements of warriors assessing all weapons.

Also, monks are good at exploding. See below v v v.
_ _ _
Wyrom gestures at you, causing you to explode.
Re: Monks utility? 10/30/2017 11:41 PM CDT
I was actually thinking about which profession I'd go for if I ever make another character and monks wound up pretty high up on of my list because of Provoke and because of how Mind Over Body would let me make any of my others do awesome in Sunfist.

A new perk or two would be nice, though. Maybe adding temporary weighting to UAC gear. Or an armor specialization that can only be applied to be robes? All of the other specializations get more helpful the higher AsG the armor, so that might be interesting.
Re: Monks utility? 11/01/2017 09:46 PM CDT

>I thought Provoke/1235 was their big addition?
Swarm On Demand.

It's not all that swarmy until you put some serious points into the lore skill. At the base, I think it's only 10% more. When it was first released, every cast made it like you were inside a warcamp with the amount of creatures spawned. Eventually I'll get back to that point through lores, but that eventually is not today.

Other additions though, are 1216 which is a group spell thats a flat 30 DS
and 1213 which lowers the cost of stamina for everyone in the party when they use something that requires it.

Russ
Re: Monks utility? 12/04/2017 07:23 PM CST

I’ve thought this myself with the brewing skill. I would love to be able to create various drinks for people that raise stats or cast a spell or whatnot. Something useful to contribute to the world. Less strenuous than alchemy please!

Also, would be cool to see something where a monk meditating grants everyone in the room an extra + tiny % exp per pulse, or regeneration of something useful. A good reason to have people seek out monks, and could help those that do gather in the common areas. Maybe one of the empty spells could become something of this nature.

Mechanically I love the different paths you can take with a monk. I personally would like to be able to help the friends I adventure with in more ways than “you got 1213 up?” And mstrike mstrike mstrike 1219.