Grapple Update: Square-Off Pushdown 06/21/2017 12:48 PM CDT

The Square-Off Pushdown concept is to give the GRAPPLE attack a hidden (I think it'd be a bit
blotchy visible but...) roll of Monk vs Critter to determine a push-down effect from the initiative of the contact point. In other words, when a martial artist makes an attempt to grapple, they usually will have a moment where there is a challenge for who will seize the advantage from the position once the confrontation is physically occurring. To make this very clear, imagine professional wrestlers which are almost always fake and then see how they usually will 'square off' with each other by locking arms, then one or the other will usually throw the other one away. This is Greco-Roman in style but signifies the same thing. Grappling requires a split-second maneuver which yields the technical consequence.

This would be a game design boon for multiple reasons: 1, the use of the mechanic gives the Monk an advantage something similar to Ambushers but from an open contact point. This is true in reality for Monk style combat and would reflect that for the game. 2, the Monk will find themselves with a lot of doors opening up for their methods of attack (maybe even nullifying Stalk/Hide needs for those who use it for the push-down!) 3, It makes hunting more interesting.

The hidden push-down is something which would be different than a straight modifier from ambushing in my version and it would accompany a roll. Obviously the hugeness or smallness of the foe, their racial characteristics and level, all of these things will factor the push-down.

Finally, the effect needs to be instant. It is almost instant in reality and it won't need to be more than a line like 'Lothaltashin locks up with the Storm Giant!' just before the UAF roll with all the stuff to see if it worked but with/without a push-down.
Re: Grapple Update: Square-Off Pushdown 06/23/2017 11:33 AM CDT

The way the mechanics work, you already get a push down effect based on tier against your foe. You can use Ki focus to improve your tier against your foe if you are having problems getting there. Hiding and stalking are not really viable options for monks. You're better off as a rogue using brawling.

Russ
Re: Grapple Update: Square-Off Pushdown 07/11/2017 11:50 AM CDT

Thanks. Hmm... Well I still would like to see a push down of raw UAD. It makes sense and it's really good for the Monk in terms of realism. Grappling has that moment. Stalk/Hide is an option for many Monks I've read about on the forums, particularly very high level ones. My Monk is an experiment and right now is my favorite character to play. Great design, sleek. Spells have a lot of room for improvement but solid.