What happened? 06/03/2016 07:41 AM CDT

I made a post about not being able to play the game with my Obama phone and it got deleted.

Don't you guys have an option to click an x next to all those graphic icons to close them so I can see what's going on?

Don't you guys have an in game keyboard interface so that I don't have to keep using my phone's everyone I type something?
Re: What happened? 06/03/2016 07:45 AM CDT

I was able to sign up, create my character, and log in just fine. It's just all that stuff is in the way.
Re: What happened? 06/03/2016 09:26 AM CDT
If it's any consolation, even on a tablet, there's like 1 or 2 lines of screen visible on the web interface without a bluetooth keyboard.

... even with the keyboard, there's only about 11 lines of text. On a tablet.

If the room description would scroll or something, it would make emergency access via mobile devices tolerable.

~L.
Re: What happened? 06/03/2016 09:27 AM CDT
Also, @Starmood, your original message is at:

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Software%20&%20Hardware%20Help/General%20Computer%20Questions/view/154

In a different category. Nobody deleted it.
Re: What happened? 06/04/2016 01:59 PM CDT
If you're actually serious about wanting to play GS on a smart phone, firstly I think it's fair to say this is a pretty unrealistic situation to expect Simu to seriously support. I'm not saying you're the only one, or even that it's that crazy but ... it's a text-based MUD. It's just not the kind of game which lends itself well to being played on a device that was never envisioned when the game was first released.

Usually people might do that to quickly trade off an item, or to pop in to buy a raffle ticket, or something utterly trivial before they go mad with the relative impossibility to do almost anything.

There is, however, a very excellent third-party option that you can pursue, but you'll need to be pretty tech-savvy (or have a friend to help) to go that route. The idea is you will run lich and the game itself on a computer at your home, SSH via a terminal application to your computer from your mobile device, and run Profanity FE on your computer at home piped to your phone. You could initiate all this from your phone, so it doesn't require you to be logged in to the game on your computer when you leave the house, etc.

So far as I know, this sort of method was actually a reason Tillmen wrote Profanity in the first place; I doubt it was the only reason, as I got the impression he might also play the game this way on a PC as well. Personally, I use it whenever I play (which is on my laptop), because I play in GNU/Linux and there is no official FE, and I had grown tired of Warlock.

https://github.com/matt-lowe/ProfanityFE

Then again, when I had an android tablet with a hardware keyboard, I found the terminal options and even SSH support to be abysmal, so you can probably expect to try a lot of different programs before you finally get something that's tolerable. Though if the free options in these departments have not improved in the intervening years, there are higher-quality apps of this nature for sale as well.