Chromebook and GS 11/18/2015 03:21 PM CST
The last posts I see on this are 2 years old.

Is anyone currently playing GS regularly on a Chromebook? Are you using the web client? Or something else? Any difficulties or does it run pretty smoothly?

Am thinking of getting a Chromebook for some extensive travel, and would like to be sure that I can play on it before I do!

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, dire warnings etc.

AEL
Re: Chromebook and GS 11/18/2015 04:49 PM CST
I can't speak to a Chromebook directly, but I can say:

I've played GS on an iPad 2 with an external keyboard and it was fine. No numpad stinks, and no Lich stinks as well.

The Chromebook would be similar. You'd be stuck to the web client, which is perfectly usable, but definitely not ideal. You'd have no numpad, so movement is more annoying, and without some serious jiggery-pokery (i.e., installing Linux or Windows) there's no Lich to help you get around either.

And don't worry, you're (probably) not bleeding, that's just a bug in the web frontend that's still not fixed.

If you want to powerhunt or do anything else optimally, don't expect it to go well. If you want to casually hunt, chill out, and RP in town, you'll be fine. In other words, pretend it's 1999 again.

Except you don't have a numpad. Or scripts. And Bards actually have their spells implemented. Okay, bad example.
Re: Chromebook and GS 11/18/2015 06:52 PM CST
Thanks so much for the info!

I've never used Lich, so its absence won't bother me.

I do use scripts though (for travel, and attacks, and some utility stuff) - and it sounds like you are saying those are non-existent in the web client.

Can one make macros? Some of my attack and utility scripts are probably short enough that a macro could handle them.

And YAY for mana spellup!

AEL
Re: Chromebook and GS 12/07/2015 07:06 AM CST
A belated reply, but my understanding is that Chrome OS is getting kicked to the curb.

Android was, anyway, a more promising way to approach this issue in my opinion. I have a tablet PC with a hardware keyboard, but I don't tinker on it too often. I had the basic impression that playing GS as I play in Linux wouldn't be entirely impossible.

The most simple way is having a Linux machine running somewhere, like your home, and using a terminal to SSH and play with Tillmen's profanity FE. I already use that terminal as my regular method to play (just I use it locally instead of by SSH).

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Chromebook and GS 12/07/2015 12:10 PM CST
>A belated reply, but my understanding is that Chrome OS is getting kicked to the curb.

It's supposedly getting merged with Android but still not discontinued, whatever that means. They sell a boatload to schools for use with the new computer-based standardized tests (PARCC/SmarterBalanced), so they have to continue to exist in some form.

>The most simple way is having a Linux machine running somewhere, like your home, and using a terminal to SSH

I agree that this is extremely straightforward for someone who knows what SSH is and how to use it, but I wouldn't call it the most simple way. "Have a Linux machine running somewhere" is a pretty high barrier to entry.

That said, I'm going to sit down and set up exactly that on my Raspberry Pi some day to see how it works, and will probably wire up some LEDs to do some silly status monitoring just because I can.
Re: Chromebook and GS 12/11/2015 10:14 AM CST
>"Have a Linux machine running somewhere" is a pretty high barrier to entry.

It sounds significantly easier than managing to get lich running in Mac OS. It pretty much works straight out-of-the-box in several Linux flavors I've tested it on.

>Daid: Pretty sure you have a whole big bucket as your penny jar. You never have only two cents. :p
Re: Chromebook and GS 01/15/2016 10:40 PM CST
Okay...so now I am many miles from home with my Chromebook, the web client, and an interesting situation:

When I log in and click "go play" I actually get to see the game screen perhaps 10-20% of the time. The rest of the time the page sits there with the GemStone IV logo on a black screen with "Connecting..." running along the bottom. And nothing more happens.

Any idea what is going on and/or how to overcome this "feature"?
Re: Chromebook and GS 01/18/2016 11:38 AM CST
Happens to me too sometimes in GNU/Linux. My best recommendation is download as many different web browsers as you can and find one that gives the least trouble. Not sure which browsers are available for Chromebook besides Chrome, but besides the obvious options (Firefox, Opera) maybe try Dolphin as well.