Chromebook and GS 07/15/2013 09:07 PM CDT
So I'm not certain where to post this but I am looking to invest in a chromebook here in the near future since my windows laptop is going to die here soon (yay for life support in the form of an oscillating fan). Has anything been done as far as developing an app for GS to be run on the chromebook's OS yet or is it something that could even be looked into?

>>We are the ones who will never be broken. With our final breath, we'll fight to the death. We are soldiers.
Re: Chromebook and GS 07/15/2013 11:56 PM CDT
Since the Chrome OS is basically a browser, it should run the Web-based front end that Simutronics released not too long ago. I'd check it out in a store before I bought it, though.
Re: Chromebook and GS 07/16/2013 09:15 AM CDT
>>Since the Chrome OS is basically a browser, it should run the Web-based front end that Simutronics released not too long ago. I'd check it out in a store before I bought it, though.

I'm able to play using the new web client on my chromebook.

>>Yeah, we've crossed into lalaland now. That's a crazy idea, and you know it! -Wyrom, SGM
Re: Chromebook and GS 07/16/2013 09:34 AM CDT
Play?

Or log in, take care of a few things, maybe monitor chats or sit quietly with friends, and log out?

I ask because I have tested any number of platforms, including tablets, smart phones, etc. In my view, 'play' is not yet possible on a great many of them, even though technology now allows us to connect and interact, for a bit.

In truth, though -- I haven't looked at the Chromebook. . . it's hard to 'play test' one in the store. ;)

Doug
Re: Chromebook and GS 07/16/2013 10:17 AM CDT
Well, there's a few issues, not just playing GS. I run lich for my day to day needs, IE, travels, gem purifying, et all. The first step is knowing I can play GS on the chromebook, then I have to hunt down Tillmen or whoever to find out if I can run lich on it as well. I want to be as prepared as I can be before my big switch over to a completely knew OS.

>>We are the ones who will never be broken. With our final breath, we'll fight to the death. We are soldiers.
Re: Chromebook and GS 07/16/2013 10:35 AM CDT
Given Doug's experience, I wouldn't chance it if this Chromebook is going to be your only (or primary) machine. I'd stick with Windows. 8.1 brings back some of the familiarity of previous versions (like the Start button).
Re: Chromebook and GS 07/16/2013 10:57 AM CDT
If you can get past the look/feel of the web client, you can play on the chromebook, IMO. It has a keyboard and touchpad, so after setting up a few macros and highlights in the web client, I've been able to get around fine. Well, as fine as I can without lich. :)

>>Yeah, we've crossed into lalaland now. That's a crazy idea, and you know it! -Wyrom, SGM
Re: Chromebook and GS 07/16/2013 03:18 PM CDT
I had a Chromebook for about 1 month a few months ago.

The Gemstone internet client did not work for me, but it might have been fixed.

(Instead I installed Ubuntu(On the ACER) and I was able to run pretty much anything I wanted. But in order to have a remotely usable Ubuntu, you have to have an intel based cpu. ARM based cpus(Samsung) don't have very much support inside Ubuntu.

I tested the Samsung ARM and the Acer Intel base book. The Samsung was really the top of the line Chromebook as far as form factor and usability. If it was Intel based I would still have it. The ACER was total garbage. The mouse pad wasn't grounded property so it would cut out if not plugged in. You literally had to hold the VGA port to use it correctly.

Essentially it boils down to this...

Don't get one. I tried REALLY hard to be able to use one and have it do the things I wanted it to do, but they just aren't there yet. I think they might get it right with the next gen ones though.