Any Mac Users? 09/16/2012 05:37 PM CDT
Have any Mac Users been able to connect via the Web FE at all? I'm running Lion 10.7.4 and I've tried it with both Firefox (14.0.1) and Safari (6.0). In both browsers, either a .sal file was downloaded or an attempt was made to download one.
Re: Any Mac Users? 09/16/2012 05:40 PM CDT
Yes, I have. But it is inconsistent. Not all commands seem to work smoothly. Isn't 10.7 Mountain Lion, though?

Doug
Re: Any Mac Users? 09/16/2012 06:17 PM CDT
10.8 is Mountain Lion. I tried when I had Lion, then upgraded with Mountain Lion, and still the exact same errors. Same errors on all three Macintosh machines. 2011 iMac, 2006 iMac, 2010 Macbook Pro. All the latest web browsers. Safari/Firefox.

It has yet to do anything outside of downloading the .sal file related to a character, which when opened, opens Avalon. Avalon under Mountain Lion seems to have a couple of new glitches as well (like typing inside the game window) when tabbing back to it and needing to retype commands, but nothing game-breaking.
Re: Any Mac Users? 09/16/2012 08:23 PM CDT
Thanks.

I'm on 10.6, Firefox 14.01 and Safari 5.1.7 for the Mac I have.

I guess I'll have to upgrade.

One thing of note -- I didn't see a SAL file loading. At all. Perhaps finding and renaming that file?

Doug
Re: Any Mac Users? 09/16/2012 10:04 PM CDT
Whenever I click "Go Play!" after making my selections, it downloads a file that's "charactername.sal"

It appears in my download folder as if I downloaded any kind of software, music or anything. But then when you click and open that file, it just opens Avalon and doesn't initiate any web-based anything.

It's done that since the WebFE launched. In the initial couple of days, there was a Simu post or two saying they were looking into it, but I think that was over a month or so ago now.
Re: Any Mac Users? 09/17/2012 01:25 PM CDT
I have run it on both of my Mac laptops and have not had this issue personally. I know this doesn't help in your current situation, but it's interesting that it's working for some and not others.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm using Google Chrome.

GM Tridin
Re: Any Mac Users? 09/17/2012 02:36 PM CDT
Are you running OSX 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8? (Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion respectively).
Re: Any Mac Users? 09/17/2012 04:54 PM CDT
10.7 on one of the machines and 10.8 on the other.

GM Tridin
Re: Any Mac Users? 09/26/2012 01:43 PM CDT
I give up. It doesn't work, and I don't get the feeling that it is being addressed.

Bacl surreptitiously wipes a stray crumb of chocolate cake from one corner of his mouth.

Opening his robe very slightly, Bacl lifts the rim of a champagne flute to his lips and takes a furtive sip.
Re: Any Mac Users? 10/02/2012 11:33 AM CDT
Please try this again. Part of the problem was with the actual page that handles the character and front-end selection logic and required a massive rewrite on the code side. We pushed out the update yesterday, so it should no longer be sending you a SAL file when you try to play.

-Michael
Re: Any Mac Users? 10/03/2012 04:03 PM CDT
Alright, so now when I select "GO PLAY" it takes me to the Avalon info page. I'm not sure if there's any option for a universal web browser-client anymore.

On the upside, it appear that I finally have the ability to use SCRIPTS while playing Gemstone WITHOUT needing other people's software, such as YASSE. Haven't tested that yet, but I did I read correctly that Avalon finally now has built in scripting? If so, cheers (if not, jeers).

Again, as a Mac user, my growing frustration over the years is being two steps behind everyone else using their web browsers to connect, scripting, etc, and needing to make extreme efforts just to be on the same playing field as far as access goes. Considering that Macs have long stopped being a fringe minority, it seems time that we have what is essentially equal support. I thought a universal client would give that to us. Perhaps this new Avalon version comes close as well, will have to test.

Bacl surreptitiously wipes a stray crumb of chocolate cake from one corner of his mouth.

Opening his robe very slightly, Bacl lifts the rim of a champagne flute to his lips and takes a furtive sip.
Re: Any Mac Users? 10/12/2012 03:35 PM CDT
>>>Please try this again. Part of the problem was with the actual page that handles the character and front-end selection logic and required a massive rewrite on the code side. We pushed out the update yesterday, so it should no longer be sending you a SAL file when you try to play.

-Michael<<< ~ SIMU-MICHAELM

I keep getting redirected to: https://www.play.net/gs4/play/avalon-info.asp when I hit GO PLAY. This is on a Mac running 10.8.2, Firefox or Safari or Chrome.
Re: Any Mac Users? 10/12/2012 06:03 PM CDT
>>I keep getting redirected to: https://www.play.net/gs4/play/avalon-info.asp when I hit GO PLAY. This is on a Mac running 10.8.2, Firefox or Safari or Chrome.

Same here, except on 10.7.(whatever the latest version is).