Cry For Help Improvements 12/10/2010 07:43 AM CST
Looking over the description of this spell, it doesn't appear that it can be activated when Empaths need it most: When in serious trouble. Am I mistaken in believing that this spell cannot be used while in RT, Stunned, etc? It seems like the best way to change this spell would be to make it stackable with a very long duration. When needed, you activate the spell via a verb (Cry might be appropriate, but would lead to a lot of funny "Oops" moments.) and you send a mental cry for help as the spell works now.

I'd also like to see some sort of a defensive benefit to the spell, keeping with its theme. Nothing major. Perhaps 1-3 times a day, an empath can use this CRY verb with the spell when under duress to enduce a small amount of RT on their opponents. Attach a warding roll to it, weighted negatively via the status effect(s) the Empath is suffering.

Example:

Look:

[Marketplace Crossroads, Old Ta'Faendryl]
You see OTF. It's awesome. Stuff is broken all over the place, but it is still better than your crummy old town.
also here: An Ithzir Scout, an Ithzir Scout, an Ithzir Janissary, and an Ithzir Seer.

An Ithzir Scout fades into view striking at you!
AS:+421 - DS:400 + AvD:30 + D(100):90 = 141
...and hits for 48 damage!
Ithzir Scout's strike takes your leg off!
You fall over like a wuss!
You are stunned!
>
Cry
You issue a piercing physical and mental cry for help, casting your thoughts out to any who might be near.
>
Your cry is loud enough to possibly startle your enemies!
An Ithzir Scout is struck by the sound of your cry for help!
CS:Blah - TD:Blah + CvA:Blah +D(100):Blah =156
An Ithzir Scout winces with hesitation!
>
CS:Blah - TD:Blah + CvA:Blah +D(100):Blah =144
>
CS:Blah - TD:Blah + CvA:Blah +D(100):Blah =120
>
An Ithzir Janissary is struck by the sound of your cry for help!
CS:Blah - TD:Blah + CvA:Blah +D(100):Blah =107
>
An Ithzir Seer is struck by the sound of your cry for help!
CS:Blah - TD:Blah + CvA:Blah +D(100):Blah = 42
An Ithzir Seer is uneffected!

Should you have already expended your cry allotment for the day, the spell will simply function as it does now, with the added ability to activate it in any status ailment except for Silence? and Sleep. Thoughts?
Re: Cry For Help Improvements 12/10/2010 03:24 PM CST
Looks like a mass version of Carn's Cry/Bertrandt's Bellow.

With that said, it'd be neat if an empath, grouped up with a warrior using warcries, could use their Cry, in a super-charged version, and cause disruption like effects.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Cry For Help Improvements 12/10/2010 04:02 PM CST
They could even leave out any combat related effects. The primary idea is to allow empaths the ability to use a spell that does nothing more than to cry for help..when they actually need help.
Re: Cry For Help Improvements 12/12/2010 04:14 PM CST
The only actual use I've found for Cry for Help is to annoy clerics that you know are in/around town to come help you with a body. And there are better ways to do that.
Re: Cry For Help Improvements 12/12/2010 10:52 PM CST
What would empaths like to get out of the spell?
Re: Cry For Help Improvements 12/13/2010 03:36 PM CST
>>What would empaths like to get out of the spell?

As you mentioned, being able to use it when stunned or otherwise in trouble would be great. I don't think I've ever used it when I was out hunting and got into trouble. By the time I realize I'm in over my head I've either already moved off, gotten stunned or otherwise incapacitated, or have gotten myself out of trouble somehow. Granted, even if I did get a cast of 1116 off, if I was in enough trouble to actually need it I will in all likely hood be dead by the time anyone came out to see what was going on and that would likely be true even if I could cast it while stunned. So I guess it serves as a way to let someone know in advance where I am when they see *Kyaloria just bit the dust.

With 30 ranks of telepathy lore the spell gets to be pretty fun as an RP tool, and I wouldn't mind seeing that extended a bit. Longer duration with increased lore training perhaps?

Player of Kyaloria
SN: GS Eunoia