1140 07/16/2018 07:41 AM CDT
I was just reflecting on how, since the release of 1140 I've never actually used the spell once and don't really know of any empaths who have. Why? Because it requires lore that is otherwise useless. I still don't see why a new lore was created for this spell, when Empaths already had six lores to train in. Do any other professions need seven different lores to make sure that all their spells actually work? Nope. 1140 could just as easily have just used transformation lore (or even telepathy would have made more sense) and people might actually use it.

I will say at least that the one time I tried out 1140 when it was released was once more than I've used 1116, as the spell is totally worthless for a capped empath. I honestly think I could get more use out of Cry for Help. The spell ought to be reworked so that you can still get Cry for Help if you EVOKE it. Not that anyone ever used Cry for Help, but I'd say my chances of using it are higher than 1116.
Re: 1140 07/16/2018 09:39 AM CDT
1140 and imprint are a perfect examples of a spell/ability that's awesome as a concept but not very practical in practice, regardless of lores.

Back in the day (before empaths became walking war machines that can heal) there was a larger percentage of empaths that just sat around healing and the ability would have been more useful to have. Now though, most empaths hunt at least as much as they heal, if not more. Sure, you can still hunt and do whatever while imprinted to someone... but you're risking either missing the message help is needed in combat scroll or having to interrupt your hunt when you see it.

As for the remote casting of 1140, I never see anyone asking on the amunet for remote healing (maybe they do on lich, I wouldn't know). If no one's asking for remote healing and they're not already imprinted, no one's going to know the person needs healing unless they're in the room with them...

As for the lore, Transferance has existed as a trainable skill as long as the other lores, there just wasn't any reason to train in it until 1140/imprint came out (unless you had a monk). My empath is almost up to her goal of 50 ranks in it, but only because I think transferring scars would be a nifty skill to have (I could easily find somewhere else to put the points, but I'm not exactly hurting by getting the lore). That said, I was kind of bummed they didn't use Transformation lore for that cause I already had 50 ranks in it for 1110 and 1125.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: 1140 07/16/2018 10:21 AM CDT
GSTEPHENSON2
I was just reflecting on how, since the release of 1140 I've never actually used the spell once and don't really know of any empaths who have.

We have tracking for how often spells are casts and given it's role, it has adequate usage. It's not intended as a spell that may get used every day, but in the situations where it is warranted, it's great.

GSTEPHENSON2
Because it requires lore that is otherwise useless. I still don't see why a new lore was created for this spell, when Empaths already had six lores to train in. Do any other professions need seven different lores to make sure that all their spells actually work? Nope. 1140 could just as easily have just used transformation lore (or even telepathy would have made more sense) and people might actually use it.

It's intended that you cannot train in every lore. Empaths that prefer to hunt can train one way to further enhance their combat prowess while empaths who prefer to heal can train another way.

GSTEPHENSON2
I will say at least that the one time I tried out 1140 when it was released was once more than I've used 1116, as the spell is totally worthless for a capped empath. I honestly think I could get more use out of Cry for Help. The spell ought to be reworked so that you can still get Cry for Help if you EVOKE it. Not that anyone ever used Cry for Help, but I'd say my chances of using it are higher than 1116.

Rapid Healing (1116) is more useful to lower level empaths, but it's a benefit to even capped empaths. Unless you have 100% chance to heal scars when healing a minor wound (which is only possible with 202 Spiritual Lore, Blessings ranks and only on limb and nervous system wounds), it helps. It also provides a chance to instantly heal a rank 2 or 3 wound, which no other spell or abilities provides. You are only looking at the first benefit of the spell when it provides 3 different benefits.

https://gswiki.play.net/Rapid_Healing_(1116)

OM1E5GA
As for the remote casting of 1140, I never see anyone asking on the amunet for remote healing (maybe they do on lich, I wouldn't know). If no one's asking for remote healing and they're not already imprinted, no one's going to know the person needs healing unless they're in the room with them...

I've personally witnessed numerous characters ask on the amulet for an empath to come heal them. e.g. they fell down a ravine and are too injured to climb out. You also have to consider how many people know other empaths. They may not publically ask for help when they can just send a message to a friend. If that friend then uses 1140, it's not going to be advertised.

GameMaster Estild
Re: 1140 07/18/2018 02:20 PM CDT
"We have tracking for how often spells are casts and given it's role, it has adequate usage. "
I.E., it has been cast twice.

"It's intended that you cannot train in every lore."
Hmm, my cleric has trained in all her lores. Of course, clerics only have 3 to train in. But 6 lores is already too many to train in, so one more is hardly noticeable. I can hear the GMs now. "Let's make another lore just to screw with their heads."

"I've personally witnessed numerous characters ask on the amulet for an empath to come heal them. e.g. they fell down a ravine and are too injured to climb out."
Which in no way means that the empath will use 1140 on them; most likely the empath will just fog to them.
Re: 1140 07/20/2018 07:49 AM CDT
I'm aware of the other benefits of Rapid Healing, they're just not worth the 3 seconds it takes to cast it when I'm trying to heal down for an empath who has a normal amount of transformation lore. While I guess it would speed up healing if you had a ton of transformation lore, at that point you can just use 1150 (since you'd have extra uses from your lore) and skip 1116 altogether.

I'm not saying the spell is worthless -- I have a lower level pocket empath on another account and the spell is quite handy. It's just that, at cap, it doesn't really help most empaths. It seems like the spell was just designed to encourage more people to add character slots for pocket empaths, especially after the recovery timer was switched from in game time to real time. Perhaps I'm the only person who actually misses Cry for Help, but the spell really was useful. It allowed you to show your enemies when you're at the boulder and ready to tangle! Now what am I supposed to do, just climb up on the boulder and yell?