Minor Mental 11/22/2016 12:27 AM CST
Is the idea to move Empaths to a MnS/MnM hybrid still somewhere in the background?
Re: Minor Mental 11/22/2016 09:32 AM CST
The short answer is "no". The long answer can be found here: https://gswiki.play.net/Empath_design_direction_(saved_post)

Honestly, I don't know why they switched empath's CS/TD from pure spirit to spirit/mental hybrid when the decision had already been made at the time not to remove the major spirit circle in favor of minor mental. It's kind of like they're a hybrid profession but not really the way things turned out.

Not that I'd want the spell circles swapped now that I know what spells are on the minor mental list. They'd be losing too much in some areas and not gaining enough back in others.... unless they switched to brawling, maybe.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Minor Mental 11/22/2016 09:43 AM CST
Well, that's no fun. I think there would be some amusing flavor to empaths having minor mental rather than major spiritual. Perhaps it'll get revisited in a couple decades when Savants get randomly completed.
Re: Minor Mental 11/22/2016 10:36 AM CST
<Perhaps it'll get revisited in a couple decades when Savants get randomly completed.>

Ever since the PC crowd took the word "idiot" out of the RL condition and insisted they just be called "savants", I wouldn't hold my breath unless they also change the name of the profession (don't tell me there isn't anyone that would play them that way... heck, they'd prolly make them Zelian too).

I'm not sure when that happened, but made for an awkward situation a couple months ago when I tried to compliment someone on their knowledge of something obscure...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Minor Mental 11/22/2016 12:13 PM CST
>They'd be losing too much in some areas and not gaining enough back in others.... unless they switched to brawling, maybe.

Even then. MnM is the weakest of the spell circles, its badly underpowered even compared to the other minor circles, no way would that get swapped for a major circle.
Re: Minor Mental 11/22/2016 01:28 PM CST
Sssoooo... they would be a pure spellcasting profession, with two Minor lists [across 2 Realms] and their profession list, and they'd be underpowered.

Hmmm.
Re: Minor Mental 11/22/2016 02:01 PM CST
<Sssoooo... they would be a pure spellcasting profession, with two Minor lists [across 2 Realms] and their profession list, and they'd be underpowered.>

Not really a fair assessment. Sorcerers work well like that because their development took into account the spell circles available to them and vice versa. The same can't be said about Empaths and the Minor Mental circle.

Starchitin

Re: Minor Mental 11/22/2016 02:41 PM CST
I agree, given the long development time spent on Sorcerers. (That is, that they knew from the get-go that it would be just those lists.)

I just found the, "They'd be hosed," view to be... amusing.
Re: Minor Mental 11/22/2016 08:41 PM CST
Eh, even if time was required a shift to MnS/MnM would eventually be sorted out. I see more options available to wizards now than there were before the changes last year. Sorcerers are in the best place they've been since GS3. Regardless, I think the staff would make it work out if they still thought empaths should even go that direction.