Prev_page Previous 1
Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 12:00 PM CST
Solomon
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Discussions%20with%20Simutronics/F2P%20Subscription/view/90
Healing
The last 10 players healed are kept track of. Each time a new person is healed, the oldest name on the list is bumped off. A single player can only appear 2 times on the list. A healing pass increases this to 4 times.
An empath must first link (via TOUCH) to their prospective client. This linking process takes 30 seconds (15 with a healing pass). Once established, the link lasts for 3 minutes. All wound transfers done during this link are considered part of a single healing session (one entry on the above list).

As recently announced in the Free to Play (F2P) discussions, we're implementing a new feature for healing Empaths. You may now TOUCH <target> LINK to establish an Empathic Link with the target. For F2P Empaths without a Healing Pass, it takes 30 seconds to establish the link. For F2P Empaths with a Healing Pass or for non-F2P Empaths, it takes 15 seconds. While a link is established, it lasts for 3 minutes and no other Empath can transfer wounds from the target. An Empath may only have one link active at a time and each player can only be linked to one Empath at a time. The Empath or the target may UNLINK at anytime to end the link early.

F2P Empaths will be required to form an Empathic Link before they can transfer any wounds. This is optional and now live for any non-F2P Empaths. In the far future, this will be a requirement for all Empaths, but not until we implement and review a number of other things with healing. This feature has always been on my list to implement, but as a much broader project. It'll be some time before I get to the latter, but I did want to warn everyone now.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 12:11 PM CST
Very good change Estild. I look forward to seeing how the broader project plays out.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 01:14 PM CST
Well this is out of the blue.....

So F2P empaths can't even heal blood unless they spend 30 seconds forming a link first and eventually all empaths will be required to spend a minimum of 15 seconds doing so to heal? This is supposed to improve our playing experience how? Esp during invasions in smaller towns when there MIGHT be two empaths to keep everyone else in fighting condition?

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 01:51 PM CST
>>In the far future, this will be a requirement for all Empaths<<

I'm assuming this is a joke, right, Estild?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 02:13 PM CST
I'll admit I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I can certainly appreciate the desire to differentiate between healing empaths and fighting empaths. I'll agree that it's pretty easy to train a healer who can also hunt very well. However, this development is going to have a significant impact upon combat medics in the field. I can't begin to count the number of times I've gone out in a group of 10 or more and managed to keep everyone alive through efficient healing and quick reflexes. There have been many times when I've gotten to someone with single digit HP, and they would have died if I had to spend 15 seconds linking up with them.

If I didn't need to link to a person to take blood loss, and if the link didn't put a person into RT (haven't been in game to try, so I don't know for sure), I'd be much more alright with this development.

Still, I know that you say you're working on balancing it, so at this point I'd imagine all we can do is wait and see what comes along. You've done good work before, Estild, so I'll trust that you know where you're going with it, but I had to get my thoughts on record.

Gretchen

Visit the GSGuide wiki, now home to merchant shop inventory lists! http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/GSGuide_Wiki
Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 02:34 PM CST

Can I protest the name "Empathic Linking" as it is too close to 1117?
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 02:47 PM CST
VANKRASN39
Can I protest the name "Empathic Linking" as it is too close to 1117?

Just assume everyone means the version for healing since the spell version is rarely used.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 04:40 PM CST

>Just assume everyone means the version for healing since the spell version is rarely used.

because people don't understand how to train for the lore benefits! ;D
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 06:21 PM CST
<I can certainly appreciate the desire to differentiate between healing empaths and fighting empaths. I'll agree that it's pretty easy to train a healer who can also hunt very well. However, this development is going to have a significant impact upon combat medics in the field. I can't begin to count the number of times I've gone out in a group of 10 or more and managed to keep everyone alive through efficient healing and quick reflexes. There have been many times when I've gotten to someone with single digit HP, and they would have died if I had to spend 15 seconds linking up with them.>

I can see the linking mechanic as being very helpful for these scenarios if empaths could maintain multiple long-duration links to people they are grouped with, and gain some form of ability to easily monitor the health of all linked patients (and perhaps route that to some separate FE window). Healing invasion-size groups has always been a mess due to massive screen scroll and the need to be very active with highlights, warnings, and third-party tools to triage properly.
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 08:34 PM CST
>>because people don't understand how to train for the lore benefits! ;D<<

How about "because the spell is broken" as the reason it's never used?

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 08:39 PM CST
The field healing problem is the main reason I can't see this a being practical. I can see having clerics take time to link with a corpse; the corpse is already dead! 15 seconds extra waiting time won't exactly hurt the deceased. 15 seconds to heal someone who is bleeding out is a ridiculous concept. Similarly, during invasions, people want to get healed as fast as possible. Waiting 15 seconds per wounded person coming in for healing? Absurd! The backlog would rapidly get out of hand.

Re: Empathic Linking 03/05/2015 09:30 PM CST
>>Similarly, during invasions, people want to get healed as fast as possible. Waiting 15 seconds per wounded person coming in for healing?

I'd think that if town justice could be turned on and off, this could too. Just sayin'.

Doug
Re: Empathic Linking 03/12/2015 08:21 AM CDT
Invasion triage and combat healing are going to change completely if this becomes a requirement. If there's a way to train this timer down to zero when the time comes via lores, then I'll be comfortable.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."
Re: Empathic Linking 03/15/2015 05:03 AM CDT

Sorry, but I absolutely hate the idea of this. My character is and has always preferred to be a field healer. Having to link and wait while mid battle is absolutely nuts. Please do not do this for non-F2P empaths.

Shelley - player of Aeavenne
Re: Empathic Linking 03/15/2015 02:53 PM CDT
From the point of view of a recipient, I find the messaging associated with linking and healing while linked gives much better flavor to the TC healing interaction.

How about if unlinked transference left scars and link transference could transfer scars? Someone who is only just trained enough to transfer a rank 3 wound would leave a rank 3 scar behind if done unlinked, but top post cap training could get to something like 50/50 chance between rank 1 scar and clean when unlinked. You could deal with wounds immediately, but at the cost of having a scarred group to clean up afterwards.

One of the jarring things about healing is that an empath can't do anything for a mangled limb, but a mangled and bruised limb is trivial.
Re: Empathic Linking 03/15/2015 05:42 PM CDT

>>One of the jarring things about healing is that an empath can't do anything for a mangled limb, but a mangled and bruised limb is trivial.

yeah, I actually had a bit of trouble explaining to a younger why the Landings Surtey Akrash left scars, when those in town center did not. It is true all over, too.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Empathic Linking 03/15/2015 11:23 PM CDT
Empathic linking... I hate it. I don't want to hate it, I want to love it. Battery Joannes is a combat healer, she has a ora flail and uses it while healing in the field. (At least that is what she believes.) She is kicking crap out of things while saving hard-done-by souls. She is ferocious, hence, her name.

My hate of this is the lack of messaging. Bellamont is a F2P character who has a 30 second pause when healing. Battery is a premium player who has a 15 second pause. The messaging says nothing about time. If I had some sort of indicator of how long a girl has to wait, I'd be a happy girl. But I don't. I get a message that I need a link or that I have a link, then nothing. It totally annoys me. Bellamont and Battery want to provide a service, a personal and impactive service. I can see the need for a link, but the player of both me's don't understand why there is no progressive messaging. A simple "You need to wait x seconds", "You are building the rapport with X", or anything else would be most excellent.

Healing is deeply personal and I would be completely happy with establishing a link to one's soul or whatnot, but the lack of indicators cheeses all of me's off.

Battery Joannes*

*I play both male and female characters. You should not be able to detect the player's gender while I am at the keyboard.
Re: Empathic Linking 03/16/2015 02:24 AM CDT
I've been focusing on other characters, so I haven't had a chance to check out linking IG. However, the more I read about it, the more I'm glad my empath has gotten away from sitting around town healing and has made a competent hunter out of herself.

It also makes me glad that all my other characters long ago got used to munching on herbs due to there rarely being a healer around RR. When I'm leaking blood from several different locations, the last thing I want to be doing is waiting around while bleeding out faster then I can munch acantha.... or worse, being forced into the horrendous RT of TEND before being healed (gods I hope that still requires a character to be laying down like it used to). No thanks, I'll just skip looking checking to see if there's a healer until after I munch my way down to cuts and bruises, then use a healer to save myself the cost and RT of eating herbs to get rid of the bigger scars when I have a lot of them (if one's around). Shame the healers will be missing out on the EXP from the bigger wounds in a town where it's already difficult to advance just by healing.

Starchitin (feeling like everyone involved with this idea forgot that not everyone has easy access to the Landing)

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 12:12 AM CDT

Okay I have seen this in action..I hate to say it...but I hates it! This poor F2P player is stuck doing this and the patient is bleeding...they have to wait 30 seconds before they can do anything and us older empaths are trying to help the new players. I have to keep telling this poor new player..already somewhat overwhelmed that he needs to unlink from the patient so I can help him with the larger wounds. On a busy night or in an invasion...this is a nightmare!!!

It is a barrier that is set really high for a new player and honestly I hope it never becomes a requirement for all empaths. We like to help the wounded but we also like to help each other...and adding a barrier to that takes away from working together. Also, I hope it is not implemented between other empaths for clean up.

Sometimes my character does heal with other empaths...we work on the same patient...with this..we cannot without one of us linking and then unlinking...its just a barrier that seems unnecessary ...and mostly..not conducive to fun play.

I like that there is an interaction with the patient...but this can already be done in other ways...Diagnose, diagnose full, appraise, touch...there are lots of RP ways to interact without being forced to link.

Anyway, that is my two cents seeing it in action recently.
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 01:03 AM CDT
I suspected this would be a PIA as soon as I read about it. Crosspost this in the complaints folder; it needs to be addressed asap.

"The enemy are so many and our country so small ...
where will we find the space to bury all of them?"
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 11:30 AM CDT
Herbs, potions, stones, even tending are all available to you if you just want to help. You don't need to link for those.

If I was the patient in that situation I'd be pretty upset about how some unfeeling vulture was hassling my friend. Linking is a much more personal experience and someone that wants my character unlinked so they can use it as a woundbot is not going to impress me.
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 12:30 PM CDT
Healing has long been too much experience for too little actual effort or required training. I look forward to seeing what else Estild has in store for empaths to go along with linking.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 01:53 PM CDT
Neither reply which does anything at all to attempt to address the new player frustration.

I'm more on the conservative side myself with empaths - but if we're going to harangue, guys, let's at least harangue on the specific point!

For example - perhaps multiple empaths should be permitted to link. That way, perhaps, the sense of sharing can be brought back.

Likewise, 30 seconds may be too long. I've tested it. A couple times. I mark myself down as a fairly patient individual, slow burn until ignited then never goes out type - you know? 30 seconds tests me. It tests me badly. It tests me in all cases - to draw a parallel, 5 round stun. Remember those? So yes, I get it, the empath can still move, talk, etc. Yes - but that empath is also helpless to do anything meaningful in that 5 rounds. At least we get to count on the vagaries of combat to hope we don't get tagged. We're asking empaths to walk into this knowing it.

I think it needs to be looked at.

Doug
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 02:20 PM CDT
"For example - perhaps multiple empaths should be permitted to link. That way, perhaps, the sense of sharing can be brought back." -- Doug

I don't really have any feeling one way or the other about the mechanics themselves.

But the mental picture this called to mind was of the flock of vultures hopping around a road-kill deer carcass. Or maybe a mob of the poorly-done vampires in some schlock b-movie streaking over because "dey vant, to drink, your blahd."
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 02:39 PM CDT
>>But the mental picture this called to mind was . . .

Heh. The mental picture I was shooting for, though, is a bit different. Everything from the fantasy genre of multiple battle healers in the Riftwar Saga, to sci-fi and current day operating teams with doctors, nurses and the like. Although, I suppose the latter could also be considered vulture-esque in terms of the need to increase revenue.

Liked the vampire reference, too.

Doug
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 03:27 PM CDT
I'd prefer stamina requirements to healing rather than linking. Any day of the week. That way, there are additional benefits to lore training and there would be additional uses for the stamina potions and stamina regeneration crystals that can be made in Empath professional alchemy.

Linking, without any way to train it down? Becomes extremely difficult for new players (especially since old players never had to deal with it), and it creates frustration.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 04:47 PM CDT
In this case I think the real victim of the linking is the person being healed. Here they are possibly bleeding out waiting for a link to finish. Truly new people may not know about tending wounds or what herb is for what wound to heal the wound down. I think in this case, the older empaths should allow the younger to do what they can while they tend and force feed herbs so the younger empath can do their work (unless otherwise requested by the person being healed). But I also believe older folks should step aside and let the younger in their trades step up to the plate and learn their craft. Too often I've seen someone step in and ask for healing on a couple minors (as an example) and the oldest empath in the room jumps on them and heals them in the blink of an eye while the younger empath is trying to figure out how to diagnose. I find that quite shameful. The other day a body was brought into the court and when a younger cleric offered to bring them life, the older cleric all but snapped her head off claiming it was "his body." This was without consideration to what the dead person wanted. Maybe the deader wanted the younger one to raise them because of deity alignment or some other reason. But the point I'm making here, is yes, it's like a bunch of vultures, but the vultures more often than not are people who don't need the experience and should be mentoring and teaching instead of hogging all the fun.

ok back on subject. I think if I were bleeding out and had to wait 30 seconds before the healer could help me, I would personally forgo the healer and just chomp down on herbs or go visit the NPC healer. There has to be a better way of establishing the intended vision of this process. This is after all a profession that could very well mean the life or death of an individual. As a cleric, I would much rather someone get healed and not die vs someone die in the process of being healed. My own opinion though and I know many (probably clerics) would disagree with me on it.

~Rayna, cleric of Oleani and Ta'Vaalor
Re: Empathic Linking 03/23/2015 09:11 PM CDT
<<I'd prefer stamina requirements to healing rather than linking. Any day of the week. That way, there are additional benefits to lore training and there would be additional uses for the stamina potions and stamina regeneration crystals that can be made in Empath professional alchemy.>>

I like this idea, if stamina costs were implemented well, they'd be much more effective at achieving what they seem to be aiming for then a 15-30 second link time. Granted, I have yet to see a name in red spell out exactly WHY it was put in place (and will be expanded), so for now I can only assume it's an effort to both balance healing with other methods of EXP gain and provide a way "encourage" F2P accounts to subscribe.

<<there are lots of RP ways to interact without being forced to link.>>

I sincerely hope this isn't some misguided effort to force RP... there's no such thing as a mechanic that can force someone to RP. If they're not RPing now, they won't start just because LINKing becomes something all empaths have to do... they'll just wait out the process and TRANSFER away. I wouldn't even be at all surprised if this actually encourages more folk to script healing once LINKing becomes a requirement for paying accounts as well as F2P accounts.

If you want to encourage folk to roleplay, the best thing to do is (and always has been) to lead by example and respond to patients that TRY to RP. I can't begin to count the number of times I've stumbled into various healing spots with various characters with bleeding necks and "act opens his/her mouth to speak but only succeeds in forcing more blood to spill from the gaping wound in his/her neck" along with other emotes only to be completely ignored until I finally give up and come out and ask if someone can heal my neck (at which point, it's promptly healed). In fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I've succeeded in getting healing without speaking though a hole in my throat and still have enough fingers left to express my opinion of LINKing.

If you (collective you) have a problem with your non-empaths being healed by those that don't RP it out, you can also set your DEMEANOR to a level that prevents others from healing you and making it neutral or higher for those you know will RP (or just set the demeanor on a case by case basis for those that swoop on you).

Starchitin

Re: Empathic Linking 03/24/2015 11:15 PM CDT
Bwahahahah love your last line

~Rayna, cleric of Oleani and Ta'Vaalor
Re: Empathic Linking 03/25/2015 12:34 PM CDT
>I like this idea, if stamina costs were implemented well, they'd be much more effective at achieving what they seem to be aiming for then a 15-30 second link time. Granted, I have yet to see a name in red spell out exactly WHY it was put in place (and will be expanded), so for now I can only assume it's an effort to both balance healing with other methods of EXP gain and provide a way "encourage" F2P accounts to subscribe.

They had to create a mechanism to record the last ten patients healed by an F2P empath, so that people don't just roll up free healbots. That I understand, and it explains why linking was created. If the reason for the 30 second wait time (as opposed to a 5 to 10 second wait time) is related to that, then that's a business imperative and it's not going to go away. (I do have a suggestion that blood healing can start within 1-5 seconds....if you heal blood without healing bleeders, there's no exp gain anyway, so at least you can keep someone alive while waiting for the rest of the link.)

However, for paying empaths, if there's a belief that the exp gain from healing needs to be balanced, then maybe the linking mechanism needs to be one option, and the alternate option is that in substitution of linking, there's a stamina component to healing. (I thought of a design already, although I don't want to be stepping on Estild's toes!) If you go with linking, then the patient is all yours and you don't have to pay stamina, but you have to wait. If you don't want to wait or would rather share the patient, then pay stamina and heal away.

I see a linking requirement destroying the idea of empaths sharing incinerator or implosion victims (which I do all the time if there's another capable empath present), hampering invasion triage, and hampering combat healing.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Re: Empathic Linking 04/06/2015 10:34 AM CDT
>In the far future, this will be a requirement for all Empaths, but not until we implement and review a number of other things with healing. This feature has always been on my list to implement, but as a much broader project. It'll be some time before I get to the latter, but I did want to warn everyone now.

This seems about as desirable as breakage. In a time where Simu's attempting to gain more customers and people are occasionally crying out for Empaths, why is this being considered? I could gleefully hunt my Empath forever (without much difficulty) but I like the ability to turn around and have him heal without being gimped for it. When there's limited healers around, I also like the ability to go all out. I can easily envision a situation where an invasion rolls in and my character (or anybody else) is stuck in enforced link time. I also don't think herb use should be prioritized over Empaths and all of this would encourage it. I feel like secondary consequences aren't considered (and no, this isn't a suggestion to nerf herb use.)
Re: Empathic Linking 05/03/2015 03:16 PM CDT

Totally agreed on all points. I think linkage is a dumb idea. Herb use is already rampant and I run into people all the time who won't use empaths because they aren't around enough already, and the idea is to make it harder and less desirable for an empath to heal?
Re: Empathic Linking 05/04/2015 05:56 AM CDT

Again, folks, keep in mind that Estild said there would be a lot of other changes made before linking is required for non-F2P. Might be a decent idea to hold off your naysaying before you start grinding it into the ground. I seriously doubt they intend to "nerf" the empath's healing abilities. This will likely be tied in with other abilities that you may just be impressed with.
Re: Empathic Linking 05/04/2015 08:58 AM CDT

While usually I would agree with this, we have a real game example of how it is working for the moment. The biggest problem that I see is that this is unlikely to work in favor of the empath regardless of other abilities put in place.

1) It stops a desperate quick heal. "I'm bleeding out! Please help me!" "Okay wait 30 seconds for me to link."
2) Any inconvenience will drive people to herbs rather than empaths. People already try to optimize their time hunting/absorbing to be 100% efficient. (I know this is not all people.)
3) While yes we have been told that there will be other changes, we haven't been given any idea of what, or even why. A broad idea of what they are looking to do would give more of an idea of what is intended.
4) Active feedback is often a good idea in development process. All too often the people doing the development and the client are disconnected. (Trust me I do a lot of business analysis as part of my job.) These forums are the best venue at the moment to provide feedback and concerns. Unfortunately the communication needs to happen two ways so right now we get...

Developers: "We're going to make you do something terrible that will mess up how your class operates, make it less likely people will depend on you, and make it in general less attractive to play as the main point is healing others."

Players: "We don't want that!"

The game really thrives in my opinion when classes depend on each other to work. If everyone could raise themselves clerics would be turned into chrism farms. Wizards already are reduced all too often to spell bots and enchanting mules.

I personally refuse to not give feedback until we see what happens. At that point it may be too late. We all know that Simu is strapped for development resources, which means it is even better to get it done right the first time. We might end up with a broken system that takes years to fix otherwise.

I would like more feedback so I can understand the "why" of linking. That would be constructive and allow me to give more positive feedback, but for now it is this hidden thing of: "We're going to drop your gas mileage on your car." "Ummm okay, what is going to happen to the car?" "..."
Re: Empathic Linking 05/04/2015 12:23 PM CDT
<We might end up with a broken system that takes years to fix otherwise.>

*Glances over at monks, illusions, and thrown weapons*

Nah, you're just being paranoid.... that could never happen in GS....

Starchitin

Re: Empathic Linking 05/04/2015 12:45 PM CDT
>Again, folks, keep in mind that Estild said there would be a lot of other changes made before linking is required for non-F2P. Might be a decent idea to hold off your naysaying before you start grinding it into the ground. I seriously doubt they intend to "nerf" the empath's healing abilities. This will likely be tied in with other abilities that you may just be impressed with. - COLEMANJ

While I trust Estild to not nerf healing abilities, I do think it's fair for us to understand the vision at this point, because linking is such a radical change for non-F2P empaths. If it's part of a broader plan, understanding how it fits in may get us all to buy in. I don't know if Estild is ready with that or not, so I won't push beyond this post.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Re: Empathic Linking 05/04/2015 01:48 PM CDT
<<<and no, this isn't a suggestion to nerf herb use>>>

I'll take the bait. If the goal is to prefer empathic healing over herbs, then herb use must be harder.

Many minor developments have happened that make herbs more attractive. Every type of herb is commonly available in most towns, for prices that tend to be less expensive than the typical tip people would offer an empath. The newest society can use herbs without the typical lengthy roundtimes. Overall there is often little reason to actively seek out empaths since herbs are more accessible, in many cases cheaper, and can be purchased and used without even knowing what the different types of herbs are because the process has all been (very well) scripted.

Imagine if you had to personally process herbs before munching on them, unless you buy them in liquid form for the 20k/bottle prices of the Ta'Illistim tincture shop. Imagine if they had a lifespan like foods and go bad after a few hours.

It's not going to happen like that, of course. But I don't see any way of altering the empathic healing system that would matter at all if herb use stays the same.
Re: Empathic Linking 05/04/2015 06:48 PM CDT

I don't tend to post much, and read the posts only slightly more often, but this discussion made its way to my attention. Knowing that it is a concept and in no way close to being executed the way it is to be intended (per the original post), consider this feedback for development rather than an opinion on a system that is not truly in tangible form yet.

Setting the linking requirement in non-combat areas only is the first requirement in that type of system. Healing while hunting is not only a mainstay for many of the empaths I know and talk with, but it is often critical life or death actions for those non-empaths in the party. ANY delay in that environment is poorly thought out. If you need some in-game reasoning I would stop at the heightened adrenalin and sense of alertness that comes with being an empath in a group where you KNOW being on your game and reacting instantaneously may save a life. This mental focus supersedes the time needed to 'mentally prepare and link with' a patient that might make more sense in common healing areas, tables or in town or other 'safe' areas. This would also solve the concerns about invasion time triage as the town becomes a non-safe location during those periods as I understand it.

Any time involved in linking certainly should be something that can be trained down with proper lore training, in this case perhaps a combination of a Lore or two. I realize that with clerics that is not the case (although the elder ones can be 'ready' to raise more quickly so it isn't without some moderately related precedent).

Having stamina be a factor to maybe a slightly lesser degree than it was during the Regeneration storyline is certainly workable but the point of that is to limit how much healing an empath can do and seems a separate issue than the linking. If that were to be incorporated the amount of stamina needed per type of transfer would have to be quite noticeably less than it was during that storyline to my recollection though.

The other aspect that I'm not sure on having not dealt with it is if the Link allows the empath to heal the person, or the Link prevents the injured party from being healed by anyone else, or both. I get the impression it is both, and therefore something would need to be worked into the code to prevent abuse of that function, such as an ornery empath Linking to someone, to PREVENT another empath from healing them, and not actually healing the injured party. Even with an Unlink option used by the injured party, the Link RT for the empath would need to stay in play with no RT penalty to the injured party so that there is time between Link 'attempts' by the ornery empath for the injured party to get healed by or Link with their desired or willing empath. DEMEANOR set against a specific character obviously is the long term solution but in that moment of healing need, something like that needs to be taken in to account.

My final thought is I see exactly why this was put in place to limit F2P accounts and I think for that purpose it is not only good but needed to prevent the scene described earlier with mini-healbots becoming a sort of plague of convenience (or inconvenience if you are an empath or hate random script healers :) ). I do not think there needs to be any carryover into paid account characters related to this, but again if it is included, only in safe healing areas would it make sense both game play wise, and enjoyment in playing.

The Drake's Mountaineer
Re: Empathic Linking 05/05/2015 08:10 AM CDT
It ain't necessarily so that linking will drive sustomers away. The only reason I don't preferentially seek out linking empaths most of the time is that giving preferential treatment to FTP doesn't sit well with me.

I am reminded of the change in 318 messaging. I didn't (and still don't) much like is from the cleric 1st person perspective, but it definitely improves the game from the 2nd and 3 person views. Not all scripts work equally well for all parties involved (a pet rat is all very well for the owner, but a game where the environmental messaging is all about pet rats is fairly horrible)
Re: Empathic Linking 05/06/2015 05:48 AM CDT
>Again, folks, keep in mind that Estild said there would be a lot of other changes made before linking is required for non-F2P. Might be a decent idea to hold off your naysaying before you start grinding it into the ground. I seriously doubt they intend to "nerf" the empath's healing abilities. This will likely be tied in with other abilities that you may just be impressed with.

>COLEMANJ

I like a lot of what Estild's done. It's probably awful hard to follow through on "Nerf this class into either hunters or town healers" without making at least some people upset, especially when the class has been similar for longer than some players have been alive, though. Kind of a frustrating notion in a just beginning to rebound game too.
Prev_page Previous 1