Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/10/2014 10:59 AM CDT
I think it's high time that more experienced Empaths had spells that would allow them to transfer SCARS from other players. This could be limited to empaths with 70 trainings or above, or some such attainment, and would give experienced healers a way to gain exp without taking away wound experience from younger empaths. Also, with the empathic profession being so popular, it would also allow older or capped empaths to heal more, rather than hunt. The cost of mana would obviously be higher, but the amount of experience would/should be equitable. As someone whose family members have been in the healing profession for many years, I don't think this is an unreasonable request.
Posted by Featherstripe.
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/10/2014 09:51 PM CDT
>>it would also allow older or capped empaths to heal more, rather than hunt. <<

Another healing ability? Boooring! How about a spell that helps us hunt better? A crowd control spell perhaps? We're really lacking there. The duration of Sympathy is pathetic compared to that of clerical 316. Actually, just tripling the duration of sympathy would be quite helpful and probably fairly easy to code the change.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/10/2014 10:13 PM CDT
Hehehe...

Yes... triple the duration of sympathy. Especially when my critters start casting it on players. Muhahaha.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/10/2014 11:22 PM CDT
Ah, hmmm. As I was saying, the duration of Sympathy really needs to be changed; maybe to 1 second.

Seriously though, we empaths need something better. All the other caster professions have something. As I mentioned, clerical 316 is nice (and 316 followed up by 335 is a serious crowd thinner). Mages and sorcerers have e-wave; and major e-wave followed by an open implosion or cone is downright nasty. Heck, even semis have better crowd control stuff. Nature's fury, song of disruption, and even my paladin gets some good mileage out of 1630. That's 6 out of seven.

OK, technically it's 7 out of 7 since I can't really exclude Sympathy; it DOES affect multiple creatures, after all. I just would like to see some improvement.

How about a more benign form of Sympathy, with a much longer duration, where the critters don't attack one another, but just refrain from attacking the caster. Sort of like a mass calm spell except it only protects the caster. You could even code it into the existing Sympathy spell; the effects would vary depending upon whether or not you incant or cast it. Something very similar was done with clerical spell 335, which has two versions of its effects.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/11/2014 07:31 PM CDT
Posted by Featherstripe
I think it's high time that more experienced Empaths had spells that would allow them to transfer SCARS from other players. This could be limited to empaths with 70 trainings or above, or some such attainment, and would give experienced healers a way to gain exp without taking away wound experience from younger empaths. Also, with the empathic profession being so popular, it would also allow older or capped empaths to heal more, rather than hunt. The cost of mana would obviously be higher, but the amount of experience would/should be equitable. As someone whose family members have been in the healing profession for many years, I don't think this is an unreasonable request.

This is something that is definitely on my list, but it probably won't happen until we're ready to review some additional aspects of healing.

THROGG
The duration of Sympathy is pathetic compared to that of clerical 316.

20 seconds vs. 25 seconds is pathetic? Because that's the difference between Sympathy (1220) and Censure (316).

GameMaster Estild
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/11/2014 08:30 PM CDT
>>20 seconds vs. 25 seconds is pathetic? Because that's the difference between Sympathy (1220) and Censure (316).<<

Hmm, interesting. OK, as a GM you have access to information I don't; wasn't aware the base durations were so close. The spell descriptions give no base duration; they merely say it is "variable, depending on warding failure". This is not terribly helpful, as the same thing can be said of most durational attack spells that have a warding roll attached. Hmm, let me guess ... the lesser base duration for sympathy vs censure is because with sympathy the critters are actually trying to attack one another, while censure simply renders them immobile. That's not a bad rationale, except for the fact that empaths don't have a good mass effect follow up spell the way mages, sorcerers and clerics do. I mean, by the time creatures are starting to break out of my cleric's censure they are being whacked by Charl's Divine Wrath, which is some serious mojo. I believe she can hit 7 targets with each of these spells. The best my empath can do is hit sympathetic creatures with single target spells like bone shatter or wither, in between multiple casts of sympathy.

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/11/2014 10:32 PM CDT
>The best my empath can do is hit sympathetic creatures with single target spells like bone shatter or wither, in between multiple casts of sympathy.

Too bad your empath didn't train in spell aiming. 111's a great little spell. Of course, with spell aiming, I can also web bolt things immobile and then take care of them one at a time without having to have a high minor or major spirit CS.

If you're using a mutant path to judge the effectiveness of empaths, you won't get a whole lot of attention.

I love the scar healing idea. I cringe when I see scars I can't grow herbs for. As far as empaths needing anything else, all I can say is hahahahahahahahahahaha.

~Lyradie
>With a startled yelp, a young elven child suddenly tumbles from somewhere above you, landing gracelessly in a pile of refuse!
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/12/2014 12:12 AM CDT
<<Too bad your empath didn't train in spell aiming. 111's a great little spell.>>

I was thinking the same thing... sept I don't bother with sympathy, I just let the fire fly.

And now I've got an image of my empath hunting trolls and saying "hmmhmmmhmm.. fire...fire FIRE!" just like Bevis....

Starchitin (if you don't get the reference, just shut up and stop making me feel old)

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/12/2014 01:27 AM CDT
111 is OK assuming the foe is susceptible to fire. At one time, my empath did train in spell aiming, with some MOC and Summoning to buff 111 up. It was OK but not fantastic, and eventually she went over to the Dark Side (weapon use).

I think 1120 seems pale by comparison with 316 because of the effectiveness of the follow up spells the cleric has. My cleric and empath are both the same level and have approximately the same mana; let's compare the two in identical combats.

Cleric encounters 5 hostiles. She casts 316 and they all freeze. 335 is next. Cleric sits around in defensive for the next 3 combat rounds having a pina colada and watching the results. Or maybe she'll get bored and decide to disarm a few of them just for fun. Oh look! Some of them survived! 335 is cast again. Perhaps one or two make it through that and a few casts of 312 are necessary to mop up. Total mana cost perhaps around 120-125; time elapsed 9-10 rounds. Cleric has enough mana left to do it a second time, with about 70 mana left over for emergencies.

Empath encounters the same 5 creatures. 1120 is cast. She then starts hitting them with wither, and 3 casts later one of them is dead and 1 or 2 of the others are starting to move again. Rinse and repeat. 2 cycles later she is down to 2 opponents, and decides to cast bind (214) on each of them, since the effects last longer (Or seem to; Estild will probably correct me on this). Total mana cost so far 218, time elapsed 14 rounds. At this point, being a warpath, she has a choice. 6 more casts of wither and they are all gone, but that would cost another 90 mana, which would leave her with only a small emergency reserve. Or she can go all midieval on them and feint them up and uncork a couple of focused Mstrikes. In either case, still more time is consumed, and empath can't handle a similar group again, since she only has a bit under 100 mana left, assuming she chooses to go with option 2.

Obviously these are ideal cases, with the creatures assumed to have no spell immunities, special abilities etc. to complicate the equations, and no additional creatures wandering into the combat zone. Also, the empath might be able to save some mana if she gets lucky and none of the critters break out of sympathy early, but you can't count on that, so I am assuming the worst case scenario. Additionally, the cleric might need a second cast of 316, but only if the targets aren't stunable. 335 usually leaves them reeling.

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players 04/12/2014 01:41 AM CDT
>>I was thinking the same thing... sept I don't bother with sympathy, I just let the fire fly. <<

The point of sympathy is to keep the critters from using maneuver attacks or special abilities on you.

>>Of course, with spell aiming, I can also web bolt things immobile and then take care of them one at a time without having to have a high minor or major spirit CS.
If you're using a mutant path to judge the effectiveness of empaths, you won't get a whole lot of attention. <<

See prior posts; had spell aiming at one time. Assume my empath was still a pure caster; the scenario I detailed would still have the same comparison except she wouldn't have the option of ending the fight physically, and would end up with little mana left for another encounter. Also, I can still web (or bind) things when needed. But my CS with sympathy is higher and hits a group.

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/12/2014 01:48 AM CDT
There is also quite the difference between an empath trained to swing weapons and a cleric who is 3x in spells. And why on earth wouldn't you toss up 240 on either in that sort of situation unless the creatures are just that easy? Against ideal targets clerics/empaths with proper training are both wrecking machines. I think clerics do have it a little better because of 335, especially when using 340 with it.
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/12/2014 10:52 AM CDT
<6 more casts of wither and they are all gone, but that would cost another 90 mana>

If you're just finishing them off, why not switch to 1106 to save 54 mana? (and no using the no bones excuse when you're not going to specify a critter in yer example)

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/12/2014 12:19 PM CDT
5 creatures of generic build? Web bolts all around to get them stuck to the ground (9 mana per cast rather than 18 of the CS version) and bone shatter until they're dead. Nice and simple.

Gretchen

Visit the GSGuide wiki, now home to merchant shop inventory lists! http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/GSGuide_Wiki
Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/12/2014 02:08 PM CDT
What Gretchen said.

I haven't used bind since GS3.

~Lyradie
>With a startled yelp, a young elven child suddenly tumbles from somewhere above you, landing gracelessly in a pile of refuse!
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/12/2014 07:30 PM CDT
You're all a bunch of meanies and naysayers!

::Lissen up, you turkeys! I am trying to get one of out spells buffed up! Agree with me already!::

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/12/2014 07:42 PM CDT
>>There is also quite the difference between an empath trained to swing weapons and a cleric who is 3x in spells. And why on earth wouldn't you toss up 240 on either in that sort of situation unless the creatures are just that easy? Against ideal targets clerics/empaths with proper training are both wrecking machines. I think clerics do have it a little better because of 335, especially when using 340 with it.<<

Both clerics and empaths have access to 240, so that is a wash as far as comparisons go. And, you do realize that you are agreeing with me about 335? OK, so I suffer from cleric envy; doesn't mean I don't have a point.

(OK, so my empath hates her big cleric sister just because she capped first! Sibling rivalry is perfectly natural!)

Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/13/2014 03:57 PM CDT

Throgg, I think what they're trying to say, without saying it, is that you have a very untraditional build. You can't expect spells to cater to something that affects a fraction of how people play. You build your character based on how you want to play, you don't design the system around it.
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/14/2014 12:37 AM CDT
>>Throgg, I think what they're trying to say, without saying it, is that you have a very untraditional build. You can't expect spells to cater to something that affects a fraction of how people play. <<

OK, everyone is focusing on the fact that, right now at least, my empath has a very phyically oriented build. Mind you, in the past she has been a pure caster twice; I am aware how that route goes. Let's assume that tomorrow, I use a fixskills, dump all her MOC and TWC and CM and pump it all into spell ranks. She'd be maxxed out in spells, and have around the same CS my cleric does, but the fact would still remain; other pure casters have more than one AOE/Mass effect spell, and empaths do not! That is the total gist of what my initial post was about, and everyone seems to be losing track of that fact.

Mages have e-wave, major e-wave, and cone of lightning; I will omit meteor swarm since it is basically unusable for hunting.
Sorcerers have e-eave, major e-eave, and open implosion
Clerics have censure and divine wrath
Heck, even rangers have mass calm and Nature's fury, and they are "mere" semis.
Empaths have sympathy and ... ummm ...

Now here someone will chime in and mention spirit fire; granted, you can hit a number of targets with it if you want to invest in summoning lore and MOC, but I don't consider it in the same category as professional circle spells. It's nowhere as effective as divine wrath or cone of lightning or major e-wave or open implosion, or Nature's fury, all of which hit everything in the room. (OK, to be technically correct, my cleric can only hit 7 critters with Divine Wrath, but that's still pretty good).

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/14/2014 12:37 PM CDT
Why no love for Searing Light?!

~~GM Kynlee~~
Private Property Guru
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/14/2014 01:54 PM CDT
>>Why no love for Searing Light?!<<

Oddly enough, I have been experimenting with that lately, although more with my cleric than empath. But needless to say, both characters have a lesser CS with their minor circle spells. So far the results haven't been anything special, but I'll keep playing around with it for a bit.

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/14/2014 02:27 PM CDT
Sorry, but searing light just doesn't cut it, at least not for my cleric. My empath might get some mileage from it, but just because she lacks anything better. This is my cleric; 335 just makes 135 look sad, and they cost the same mana! And this is underhunting by 60 levels; if she were hunting something her own level, the end result warding difference would make the effects of 135 seriously feeble. (Not to mention that 335 gives you 3 rounds of damage cycles!) If you are going to give empaths an AOE spell that is warding based, it needs to be in the professional circle to get the benefits of the higher CS that most empaths have there. Actually, I am not sure who designed searing light, or why; who is going to use it with that mana cost? Bored sorcerers?

Why gosh! Looky there! Spell slot 1135 is wide open! ::hint hint::

>incant 135
You utter a light chant and raise your hands, beckoning the lesser spirits to aid you with the Searing Light spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a frost giant.
A brilliant white ball of light quickly forms before you. When the ball glows so brightly that it begins to singe your skin, you unleash the radiance before you and it instantaneously spreads throughout the entire area!

The radiant burst of light engulfs a frost giant!
CS: +451 - TD: +125 + CvA: +19 + d100: +26 == +371
Warding failed!
The bright light sears the giant for 10 damage!
... 40 points of damage!
Vicious beam of energy rips open the frost giant's back!
The frost giant is stunned!
... 5 points of damage!
Flash burns to eye momentarily blind the frost giant.

The radiant burst of light engulfs a frost giant!
CS: +451 - TD: +135 + CvA: +19 + d100: +94 == +429
Warding failed!
The bright light sears the giant for 10 damage!
... 75 points of damage!
The frost giant's skeletal structure and muscle tissue reduced to fine ash!
The frost giant is stunned!
... 5 points of damage!
Flash burns to eye momentarily blind the frost giant.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
You feel more refreshed.
>
A frost giant throws his head back and howls, shaking off the stun!
>incant 335
You chant a reverent litany, clasping your hands while focusing upon the Divine Wrath spell...
Your spell is ready.
You channel at a frost giant.
As you pour your soul into an appeal to Charl, you know that you are heard. A briny gust of sea breeze swirls around you, infusing the air with the scent of the sea and droplets of saltwater.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
R>
A deafening thunderclap splits the air! Rather than fading away, the sound's echoes grow, and they gather into a rhythmic, crashing pulse like the sound of storm-tossed waves breaking on a desolate shore. The power of Charl has answered your prayer.
>
A frost giant throws his head back and howls, shaking off the stun!
>
A frost giant lumbers northeast, followed by a swirling snowstorm.
>
White sparks flicker around you, and you sense electrical energy gathering in the instant before a massive bolt of lightning spears toward a frost giant.
CS: +513 - TD: +134 + CvA: +19 + d100: +73 == +471
Warding failed!
... and hits for 97 points of damage!

... 75 points of damage!
Surprisingly large electrical arc destroys neck and moves up around head making a flashy halo. Rather classical death occurs.
The frost giant falls to the ground motionless.
The deep blue glow leaves a frost giant.
The light blue glow leaves a frost giant.
The powerful look leaves a frost giant.<<

335 just blows 135 away, and for the same mana cost.

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/14/2014 06:33 PM CDT
THROGG
Sorry, but searing light just doesn't cut it, at least not for my cleric. My empath might get some mileage from it, but just because she lacks anything better. This is my cleric; 335 just makes 135 look sad, and they cost the same mana! And this is underhunting by 60 levels; if she were hunting something her own level, the end result warding difference would make the effects of 135 seriously feeble. (Not to mention that 335 gives you 3 rounds of damage cycles!) If you are going to give empaths an AOE spell that is warding based, it needs to be in the professional circle to get the benefits of the higher CS that most empaths have there. Actually, I am not sure who designed searing light, or why; who is going to use it with that mana cost? Bored sorcerers?

Divine Wrath (335) is a mass attack spell. Searing Light (135) is a mass disable spell. It really should be compared against Censure (316) or Sympathy (1120). The damage from Searing Light is mostly just flavor. It's main benefit of the spell is: "This blinding effect causes the target to lose any prepared spell, as well as suffer immense difficulty casting any newly prepared spell. Additionally, it is much easier to evade, block and parry the attacks of a blinded target and to avoid maneuvers that they attempt".

GameMaster Estild
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/14/2014 07:55 PM CDT
So basically, it's just sympathy or censure with a lower CS. Meh.

Now, about spell 335 ... I see it as a mass bone shatter, and 340 as mass wither. Make them have 2 versions like 335. Now we're talking REAL spells!

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/15/2014 08:47 PM CDT
>So basically, it's just sympathy or censure with a lower CS. Meh.

Not sure I'd go that far...

E-wave doesn't do any damage, and it is still a very powerful spell. Searing Light definitely has its place in the spell ranks from the testing I've personally done with it. It's especially nasty when a critter casts it on a group of players and makes all of them forget the spells they were casting and makes your weapons easier for them to evade.

I'm sure it would be equally useful against a horde of claid-swinging, major e-waving, imploding, sympathy casting critters.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/15/2014 10:08 PM CDT
>> It's especially nasty when a critter casts it on a group of players and makes all of them forget the spells they were casting and makes your weapons easier for them to evade.
I'm sure it would be equally useful against a horde of claid-swinging, major e-waving, imploding, sympathy casting critters.<<

I'm sure it would be if I could cast it effectively. My CS with it is significantly less than when I cast Sympathy, and it costs more mana to boot; so if it comes to a choice, facing a swarm of like level creatures which one will I cast? And guess what? I suspect any critter casting it at me will have a great MnS circle CS.

I want my mass bone shatter!

Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/16/2014 02:36 AM CDT
<<My CS with it is significantly less than when I cast Sympathy...>>

Of course, you know that TD can vary from one spell circle to another, so comparing the CS of one circle to another isn't very useful.

Gretchen

Visit the GSGuide wiki, now home to merchant shop inventory lists! http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/GSGuide_Wiki
Meeting Nilandia: http://gsguide.wikia.com/wiki/Nilandia
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Transferring Scars from Other Players- cleric vs empath tangent 04/16/2014 03:43 AM CDT
As far as I know; empath, cleric, ranger, minor, and major spirit circles all have the same TDs. The same holds true for wizard, minor, and major elemental. Creatures have a lower bardic TD and I believe it is lower for paladins and monks as well.

On the whole it isn't so much the circle the spell is cast from but the sphere of magic.