1135 - Mass Heal/Harm 02/11/2014 08:00 AM CST
Empaths are lacking an AOE attack spell, many of which take the 35th rank slot in a spell list. With that in mind I propose an upgraded AOE version of the most basic empath spell heal/harm.

1135 ยท Mass Heal/Harm [MHEAL]
Duration: Immediate

Type: Utility/Attack

The ability to heal themselves is the most basic ability of the Empath. More skilled empaths can extend this healing outwards from their own body to encompass all those around them. This spell will restore lost blood to all PCs in the area of the empath. The amount of blood restored is subject to the Empath's First Aid skill, Empath spell ranks and their level. More skilled empaths can even extend their ability to heal wounds outwards. Training in mental lore: transformation will allow the empath to heal minor limb wounds at 10 ranks up to fully healing any wound at 200 ranks. The total number of wound ranks that can be healed on each person is equal to the empath's skill in spiritual lore: blessing at a rate of skill / 5. This spell will always prioritize the most severe wound rank an empath is able to handle first. As the empath is not actually taking on the pain of the people being healed no experience is gained as a result of this healing.

As with it's predecessor this spell's power can be reversed to cause harm to everything in the area of the empath, not in the empath's group. When used in this way the spell will cause large amounts of blood loss, increased with training in Mental Lore: Manipulation. The spell will also stun it's victims for a short duration based off Empath spell ranks, level and spiritual mana control skill. This duration can be increased by a number of rounds equal to Mental Lore: Telepathy ranks divided by 20. This spell will also inflict a random wound on all targets, the severity of which is increased with Mental Lore: Manipulation. Training in Spiritual Lore: Summoning will provide additional random wounds at a rate of skill / 50.

The duality of this spell is represented by its name - Mass Heal/Harm.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Be nice to Wyrom or I will cut you!
Re: 1135 - Mass Heal/Harm 02/11/2014 10:25 AM CST

I like it. I don't know about the mass wound healing part, but the mass blood healing and blood loss is great, and of course a brief stun, or putting critters in RT.
Re: 1135 - Mass Heal/Harm 02/11/2014 01:16 PM CST
> As the empath is not actually taking on the pain of the people being healed

There are a couple reasons I would rather not have this spell, this is the main one though: it's not really an empathic ability. The martyrdom aspect of empaths in GS sets them apart from almost every other healing class in every other game. A blanket mass heal that just vanishes the wounds doesn't have that flavor, and it reads a bit like 1150 without the 24-hour cooldown. Easier group healing is a good idea, but I'd rather see it in the form of a siphon (perhaps a friendly group version of 1117).

The other is that empaths don't need yet another attack spell that doesn't work on incorporeal undead.
Re: 1135 - Mass Heal/Harm 02/11/2014 05:58 PM CST
An idea on the same theme, with different flavoring:

Spell: Siphon Pain
Duration: Special

Creates a levitating liquid globule that encircles the caster, siphoning wounds and lost blood from the empath's group as they are inflicted. The globule has a limited capacity (approx. 40 blood and 3 total wound ranks at base, can be improved by Transformation lore) beyond which it no longer siphons any damage. The empath can at any time TRANSFER the stored wounds from a filled globule onto themselves to free up its capacity. Manually DISMISSing the globule will end the spell and instantly transfer all the damage back onto the empath. (As the globule is an external entity similar to floating disks or spirit servants, it cannot be forcibly dispelled with 119/230.)

Recasting this spell at an existing, filled globule unleashes the siphoned pain into a wild torrent of bloody energy. All hostile creatures in the room must make a maneuver check (difficulty increased by Manipulation lore) to avoid being struck. Victims suffer blood and critical damage proportional to the globule's storage level. With training in Telepathy lore, the attack also evokes a powerful memory of agony (even in the undead), placing them into additional Roundtime.

In its defensive form the spell is intended to be useful both in solo and group situations. When solo hunting this acts as a buffer against direct damage, good for temporarily absorbing one or two hits (if you want it to keep working you'll have to transfer the wounds back), more if you're specifically trained as a healer. In a group it lets you overwatch everyone without straining to keep up with scroll spam, you can mostly concentrate on keeping the siphon below capacity and it'll do a lot of the work for you.

In its offensive form it's a destructive mass maneuver disabler similar to 435. Its effectiveness scales, in reverse-transfer flavor, with how much damage is currently stored, so it's not easily spammable; though even at low storage it can still be useful as an alternative to 1120 when you're not confident of making a CS/TD check.
Re: 1135 - Mass Heal/Harm 02/11/2014 11:15 PM CST
I like this one, though it would be situational use....you'd have to be taking hits before you can use it for offense in a solo situation.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."
Re: 1135 - Mass Heal/Harm 02/11/2014 11:23 PM CST
>>.you'd have to be taking hits before you can use it for offense in a solo situation.<<

I haven't actually tried it, but can you cast boneshatter at yourself? If so, you can give yourself wounds.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: 1135 - Mass Heal/Harm 02/14/2014 10:55 AM CST
Yes. Accidentally did it to myself the other day. Only gave myself minors though.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."