A question about 325 / grot potion 12/10/2010 09:02 PM CST
I am curious why 325 doesn't require a grot t'kel potion to prepare a gem for this magic.

It makes me curious if there is more lore to the grot t'kel potion than is commonly known?
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/10/2010 09:07 PM CST
>I am curious why 325 doesn't require a grot t'kel potion to prepare a gem for this magic.

Because people are cheap enough as it is about reimbursing chrisms, and few clerics would want to spend the extra money to buy grot on top of the loss of silver from not being able to sell the diamond to the gemshop?

--

cogito ergo femina sum
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/10/2010 11:02 PM CST
I don't think cleric bank accounts are the reason.
If chrism gems were less available that would only make people more willing to pay for the service, making the gem worth more than what the gemshop would offer.
Reimbursement is all you ask now because chrism gems are ample.
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/11/2010 08:54 AM CST
>I don't think cleric bank accounts are the reason.
If chrism gems were less available that would only make people more willing to pay for the service, making the gem worth more than what the gemshop would offer.
Reimbursement is all you ask now because chrism gems are ample. <LULZ>

Your account name is utterly appropriate.
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/11/2010 09:05 AM CST
Plenty of imbeds don't need grot. Cleric gem blessing is like those sorts of imbed.
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/11/2010 09:35 AM CST
>>Reimbursement is all you ask now because chrism gems are ample. <<

Huh? Where are you finding all those orb quality gems? I rarely have more than 2 chrisms at any given time, so I save them for friends.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/12/2010 05:52 PM CST
>Huh? Where are you finding all those orb quality gems? I rarely have more than 2 chrisms at any given time, so I save them for friends.

It really doesn't take much Throgg, you just need a pocket bard and just have them sing to all your good gems. I would imagine anyone who says it's easy to stockpile diamond quality chrism gems has one or is a bard themselves. I had my bard start singing to all my gems even before level 20 and he found/created plenty of orb gems. He's blown up his fair share too, but that happens less now that he is closer to 30. And from watching high level bards do it it's way easier/successful for them to create pure gems.

Finding a bard that is willing to sit around and sing to 100's of gems though is difficult if it's not your own bard, I'll admit to that. It's just not worth it to them.
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/12/2010 06:15 PM CST
>>It really doesn't take much Throgg, you just need a pocket bard and just have them sing to all your good gems<<

Doh! Well, I don't have one, and finding a bard to sing to the gems I find seems an endless search. So I just cast at the gems and sell the ones that don't work.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville; we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/12/2010 07:23 PM CST
It seems about 1/5 of the uncut emeralds/diamonds I find are orbs. If I bother to save them all up and get a bard to sing to them I can get most of them turned into orbs, I rarely do any more but I used to do it all the time. Then I'd find a nice cleric with 100% chrism ability to bless them.
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/12/2010 07:31 PM CST
>>It seems about 1/5 of the uncut emeralds/diamonds I find are orbs<<

Hmm, I seem to find that diamonds are more likely than emeralds. A friend gave me 10 emeralds to try today and none worked. Then she gave me 7 diamonds and 2 were successful. Now, one session isn't necessarily statistically significant, and I don't keep records of past attempts, but this is about what I recall being average.

Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/12/2010 09:35 PM CST
When you say you cast at them, you mean you cast 325 at them? And those that work they then need to be further purified by a bard to be chrism gems? Do they still need to be sung to by a bard if you were going to bless a spell into them?
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/12/2010 10:01 PM CST
>When you say you cast at them, you mean you cast 325 at them? And those that work they then need to be further purified by a bard to be chrism gems? Do they still need to be sung to by a bard if you were going to bless a spell into them?

They need to be orb gems of a specific value for each tier of blessing.

--

cogito ergo femina sum
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/13/2010 01:36 AM CST
>When you say you cast at them, you mean you cast 325 at them? And those that work they then need to be further purified by a bard to be chrism gems? Do they still need to be sung to by a bard if you were going to bless a spell into them?

325 has to be cast to prepare a gem for blessing. If a gem is an orb, the preparation will be successful and you can either bless it immediately or store it for future blessing. (After a few minutes 325 wears off and you have to cast it again to reprepare the gem when you want to bless it.)

Those that DON'T work can be given to a bard to sing to. Bards can't purify orbs in further.

An orb will not take a chrism blessing if it is not valuable enough, but a bard can only increase the value on a non-orb. A 2500 silver orb gem can never be a chrism. A 2500 silver non-orb can be sung by a bard, who may manage to increase its value before orbing it so that it is then useable as a chrism.

Orb gem rarity is very much a function of how much a cleric deals with bards. It also depends somewhat on how much they go looking for bodies. Rest in TSC and you will get more bodies than your normal supply of orbs from hunting can cope with. Hunt in RR at off peak times and your orb gem sack will get so heavy that you sell all your gems without checking them.
Re: A question about 325 / grot potion 12/13/2010 05:46 AM CST
Not too mention in River's Rest, I have to turn down orb gems from the local populace because my cleric has more than he can deal with.