320 Idea(s) 04/10/2014 01:15 PM CDT
Forewarning, I'm not much for being mechanically precise in my ideas.

I'm thinking some kind of spell that allows clerics to remove negative status effects only. I know bards have a song that works like that already, but I'm thinking something more potent. I think Unravelling only hits one spell at a time. I'd like this one to hit any/all/more than 1 of them. Perhaps working like Spiritual Abolition, where it's more likely to strip spirit sphere negative effects first, before moving to ones that are not spiritual.

Though my understanding was this spell slot had/has to be purely utility in nature, I don't think anyone would mind a blessing lore component that would allow it to be used defensively, either through a verb or proactively self-cast. Perhaps something like Fasthar's reward, where there's a % chance the negative status effect SPELL (not stuns from attacks physical or magical) would be removed.

Currently, as a cleric, our only out to protect our hunting partners from debilitating spell-effects is to create a sanctuary (or uncurse them if that's the case (though I really feel like those uncurse spells should be rolled together or removed entirely in favor of this kind of a spell)). This isn't always a good answer. If my hunting partner gets hit with weapon fire, for instance, they're still in trouble.

Honestly, it's really hard to find any more ways for clerics to have more utility than they already have and stay within what feels like the flavor boundary of a cleric, while simultaneously creating an entirely new spell. I can see what this slot has been vacant for so long. I would say there could be an opening for something similar to Ensorcell, only more on the sanctification end of things, but that doesn't feel right at this slot level, or in general.

I think the real way to answer this question is likely not from within the cleric community. If it's a utility spell, it's likely going to be used to help others more than ourselves. That leaves the question, 'What does everyone else want from clerics?' As a player who's invested in the cleric profession heavily, I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer that.

Maybe a spell that gets you auto-rescued? Something akin to the paladin spell to transport bodies to their diety's shrine, except this is cast proactively. When you die, you end up at either a default point (your converted deity's shrine if locally available) or with some lore component a selected anchor point.

That's probably enough rambling.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein