Thirsty Bards 07/08/2018 01:12 AM CDT
While nothing will ever stop the insatiable thirst that those drawn to the bard profession tend to have, the thirst mechanic has had the severity of it's penalties reduced.

Previously this mechanic could stack to unreasonable amounts and require hundreds of sips of liquid to resolve, with no real indicators of progressing towards a remedy. The thirst mechanic will no longer stack or do periodic damage when ignored. It will still prevent song renewals, but will now only require one sip of an appropriate booze of choice to remedy.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Viduus
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/08/2018 01:37 AM CDT
Great quality of life improvement for bards. Thank you

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/08/2018 01:52 AM CDT
> but will now only require one sip of an appropriate booze of choice to remedy.

Water will still work, right? For teetotaling bardesses?

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/08/2018 03:13 AM CDT
Water will still work, right? For teetotaling bardesses?

All liquids that previously worked will continue to work.

Viduus
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/08/2018 06:34 AM CDT
Speaking of water, does anyone know where one can fill up a drinking vessel in the Elven Nations? Like, is there a fountain somewhere to get it? Thanks.

Glimmin Goodhand
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/08/2018 10:23 PM CDT
Awesome change.

Can you also clarify - whenever I use 1020, there's like a 1/10 chance I get the whole "dizzy, room spinning around thing", this often lasts like 3-4 rounds and around 5-10+ RT each round. Is this intended? I don't see any mention of this side effect in the wiki or any other documentation.

Thanks
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/09/2018 03:26 AM CDT
Are you a non-bard? Non-bards have extra negatives to using the spell.

Viduus
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/09/2018 06:40 AM CDT
Nope...full capped bard - 50 ranks bard circle, 25 telepathy, almost always use one handed cymbals while 1020. It's a fairly uncommon effect but is really annoying.

You focus for a moment on the opal-inlaid cymbals in your spidersilk backpack. Within seconds, the scarlet spider inside scuttles about silently and begins pushing the cymbals, which seemingly floats up out of the backpack and into your waiting hand.
You lift your cymbals and begin to tap out a beat.
You hum softly into the air as luminous strands of wind and mana coalesce and flow around you...
Your spellsong is ready.
You weave another verse into your harmony.
You sing a song of revelry, bringing to life the memories of such wonderous merrymaking that you feel as though you never left so long ago. Visions of the drink and the dance fill your mind. Your vision blurs, your surroundings shift and you suddenly realize you are not quite where you were before!

....around 30 seconds to 1 minute after

You feel horribly dizzy and suddenly squeamish!
Roundtime: 15 sec.
PR>check bal

The floor suddenly shifts underneath you!
Roundtime: 12 sec.

You stand back up.

The world spins around you at an odd downward angle.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Everything you look at is slightly out of focus.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

The world returns to its normal, seemingly motionless state.

It's pretty consistently only happening after I use 1020 so it's not another status effect or anything but i've never seen this described as a side effect of using 1020
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/09/2018 08:54 AM CDT
I see it but only infrequently; maybe once every 10-to-a-dozen casts?

I'm lower level but have more Songs (17) and more ML:T (by a single rank), and I'd be willing to bet cash money my INF bonus is higher.
Doesn't look like INF is supposed to play into it, though DIS does.

Given the other factors that we were told were involved, I would also be willing to bet that my Mana Controls (both realms) are higher, unless you are either significantly post-cap OR a runestaffing spellcaster bard.

We were told that Songs are the largest factor, and your 50 (at x2 apiece) should already put you at 100% success (once you get past the unavoidable 5% random failure).
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/09/2018 08:55 AM CDT
"Gripping the carpet" as a potential side effect has been there forever. The documentation just hasn't been fleshed out as good as it could be.
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/09/2018 08:56 AM CDT

Thanks for this change, Viduus!
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/09/2018 12:38 PM CDT
Thank you Viduus, appreciate the work on this seemingly small but most helpful update.
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/09/2018 12:47 PM CDT
>You feel horribly dizzy and suddenly squeamish!

Although it has not happened to me in a while from Travelling Song, that's totally a side effect, just not a thirsty/fatal one. Sit down, wait it out.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"

Re: Thirsty Bards 07/09/2018 02:09 PM CDT
Nope...full capped bard - 50 ranks bard circle, 25 telepathy, almost always use one handed cymbals while 1020. It's a fairly uncommon effect but is really annoying.

....around 30 seconds to 1 minute after

You feel horribly dizzy and suddenly squeamish!
Roundtime: 15 sec.
PR>check bal

The floor suddenly shifts underneath you!
Roundtime: 12 sec.

You stand back up.

The world spins around you at an odd downward angle.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

Everything you look at is slightly out of focus.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

The world returns to its normal, seemingly motionless state.

It's pretty consistently only happening after I use 1020 so it's not another status effect or anything but i've never seen this described as a side effect of using 1020

It's pretty much a side effect of any group teleport spell. With your bard ranks, you should only be experiencing it around 3% of the time though.

Viduus
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/10/2018 11:26 AM CDT
"Training in bard spell songs will decrease the likelihood of suffering these ill-effects. This likelihood can be expressed as follows: [1 / (3 + Each SpellSong over 20)]" -- from the GSWiki

I do not recall ever before seeing anything about this likelihood.

So with 67 Songs known right now, I'm at 1/50 == 2% chance of thirst and/or dizziness?
(47 over 20, 3+47 == 50)

Two distinct 2% chances, checked each and severally?

Are the other transport spells similar? (i.e. want to be less dizzy with Spirit Guide/130, know more ranks over 130?)
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/10/2018 10:10 PM CDT
Two distinct 2% chances, checked each and severally?

2/50

Viduus
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/11/2018 08:56 AM CDT
Viduus, does your "2/50" answer confirm that there two distinct checks: one for thirst (at 1/50, given my training) and one for dizziness (also at 1/50, same training)?
Or did I foul up parenthetical math somewhere from what's on the Wiki?

Do they happen in that order (thirst, then dizzy) as listed on the Wiki?
Or simultaneously?

Does success (?) at the first preclude the other happening at all?
Or can both happen independent of the other, like Sonic Weapon flares?

(I realize that, realistically, there is little difference between two 1/50 chances and a single 2/50 chance, but there is a difference. Also, if they're sequential and one can suppress the other, it's an even bigger difference.)
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/11/2018 10:33 AM CDT

I realize that, realistically, there is little difference between two 1/50 chances and a single 2/50 chance, but there is a difference.

There's a difference, which is why I stated 2/50. There's one roll with three outcomes. Dizzy (1 in 50), thirsty (1 in 50), or in the clear (48 in 50).

Viduus
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/11/2018 11:03 AM CDT
Excellent clarification, Viduus!

Precisely what I was after. Thanks!
Re: Thirsty Bards 07/11/2018 04:16 PM CDT
>There's a difference, which is why I stated 2/50. There's one roll with three outcomes. Dizzy (1 in 50), thirsty (1 in 50), or in the clear (48 in 50).

I clearly need to file a claim wit the guild about all the outcomes 1 and 2 vs. the very few 'in the clear' results I got for ... all those levels.

I notice the fourth and fifth options are not there, though. 4)Dead 5)Critically wounded and in some dangerous place

---
;tune towncrier

Re: Thirsty Bards 07/11/2018 05:18 PM CDT
In my example, my 'leet maths called for me to use current training of 67 Songs, which was +47 over the 20 for Travel, thereby yielding only those three possible results...