Spell suggestion 07/07/2015 04:00 PM CDT
I was considering something a little crazy and something that would probably never get implemented. Anyhow, this is the place to throw out ideas and allow them to get squished. My thought is change our spell 1008 to Light as a Feather. This would not be an auto renewing spell. It would grant us initially equivalent of 20 trainings in climb. And if we trained air lore another 10 trainings. This spell would give another bonus if we have bonus of 15 strength and air lore training we could leap over opponent and cause them to take one more stance offensive. If you are short and cast this spell you would not be penalized for going for the neck. Well, this is my proposal. It definitely fits to make us more magical. It is not that we float in the air but that we can easily defy gravity (like being on the moon). I am not sure if I am asking to big a bonus to the climbing. This spell would be used by everyone of us.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/08/2015 01:05 PM CDT
EEEOOWW!!

I'm walkin' on sunshine...
Re: Spell suggestion 07/08/2015 02:50 PM CDT
I guess the spell is too good. Maybe reduce the climbing down to 10 and with more airlore go to 20.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/09/2015 12:58 AM CDT
I can't be the only one who uses and likes 1008, can I? While the proposed spell is pretty creative, I wouldn't want it in place of Stunning Shout which is my second favorite (after 1002) for group hunting.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/09/2015 03:02 AM CDT
<<<I can't be the only one who uses and likes 1008, can I? While the proposed spell is pretty creative, I wouldn't want it in place of Stunning Shout which is my second favorite (after 1002) for group hunting.>>>

I'm a fan of Stunning Shout. I use it rather frequently. It's amazing on lower level critters, which is great for helping out younger friends. But it's also a really decent disabler on like-level foes that can be stunned, especially when Lullabye fails or wears off. I'd hate to see it go.

~ GtG
Re: Spell suggestion 07/09/2015 08:43 AM CDT
Banshee's Wail/1008 (I am relentless in my campaign to change the name of the spell in the public consciousness...) is a moderately good spell.

However, it is not "80% as good as Disruption". (Maybe part of that is how truly delicious Disruption is, but that's a separate issue.) True, you get it 22 levels before you get Disruption, but it's still not on my "go to" list. VibChant/1002 at least has the benefit of getting the weapon out of the target's hands, or removing some DS/disabling ShiMan tricks if you hit the shield; both of those are real juicy benefits of that Song.

This one is just... extremely "meh."
Re: Spell suggestion 07/10/2015 02:38 PM CDT
What about something like...

1008: Primary effect, unchanged

Current air lore effect removed.

New air lore benefit: The song can now cause targets to be forced to flinct, inflicting minor RT on both the primary target, and subsequent hostile targets in the room. The number of targets affected is determined by (air lore bonus)/40. This effect causes 3 seconds of hard rt again living creatures and 2 seconds against undead/elementals.

This will occur regardless of successful warding roll for the primary effect of the song and will bypass magic immunity, however a level check is made and a given target may only suffer from this effect once every 20 seconds.

This would increase the spells usefulness for swinging bards who cant reliably ward targets and be a 'player friendly, but greatly reduced duration' ewave that would fill roles somewhat different from that spell. It could effect some targets ewave can't and it would be the only AoE disable that had a primary target effect that was greater.

In the end the bard would be giving up a round of action so that the creatures would have to as well.

Any thoughts?

Taluric
Re: Spell suggestion 07/10/2015 05:21 PM CDT
I do have problems relying on spells. At level 8, I have a 60 percent chance of getting a successful role against like level creatures. I am a dark elf and have put my Aura stat very high so my casting should be better than most at my age. Basically, I could go out on a hunt and not hit any creatures the whole time and it really hurts to lose 8 mana when you only have 33 mana to begin with. It is unreliable. I may use it just for fun but not to survive or rely on a hunt.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/10/2015 08:20 PM CDT
Bards are not meant to be successful as a primarily spell-casting class, certainly not at 8th level. (This is like a 35th level character always casting a 35th level spell to attack.) Warding attacks will not work well for you for quite some time yet, like the late-teens or even mid-20s.

My recommendation: rely on Lullabye/1005 putting critters on the ground in front of you, and bash them with a weapon.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/10/2015 11:43 PM CDT
I agree completely that 1005 is a wonderful spell and should be the go to as an opener for bards when they want to magically disable something.

That said the actual CS spells have always felt wanting when taken from the perspective of a swinger for me, no matter the train in question. You start with mana concerns, and end with worrying that while your spending 3-6 seconds trying to ward your target they are going to boil (or any other lethal ability) you into oblivion.

Though I still like 1008, even as is, to help younger folks hunt.

Tal.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/11/2015 06:19 PM CDT
I have to be honest my big sticking point with this suggestion is removing the current air lore benefit, I get a lot of use out of 1008 on grimswarm which are one of the main things I hunt at cap. Since 1030 had it's effectiveness against grims reduced I find 1008 a very reliable disabling spell that my air lore training ensures does at least 43 damage on a successful warding. Sadly, this seems to be alot better than what I'm doing to the grims using 1030, plus they aren't in RT for 3 rounds and falling down when I hit em with 1030. I tend to try and RT lock the stuff I fight, and 1008 is really good for that in combination with cmans and song of depression.

I'm actually not that opposed to giving the spell an area effect as well, but I don't want to lose that guaranteed air lore damage to get that, since I have 410, 435, 1015 and 1030 it just seems excessive to my mind.

Archales

P.S. Better targets for making huge changes or out right scrapping in my book at song of rage 1016, and song of noise 1017, also I think sonic shields should either be allowed to flare, or be granted to ability to deflect elemental attacks.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/11/2015 06:25 PM CDT
can you sing a shield that has a spike on it?
Re: Spell suggestion 07/11/2015 08:13 PM CDT
You are actually the first person I've heard of who uses 1008 for the damage effect (sans with Kenstrom spores). I can see why you would though after the 1030 camp change years ago. It is slightly off topic but I still don't appreciate why that approach was taken as opposed to making 1030 open renews count significantly against the shroud... I am sure reasons exist mind you, I just can't see them.

For the other two spells you mentioned I actually found a good amount of use for noise years ago when I still swung a jeddart-axe (GS3 days) whenever I was grouped with melee that could handle the disables. Rage I can't say I have ever found a really good use for though. The RT stacking makes it our strongest single target disable by far, but the mana cost (made worse by the fact I have 0 tele lore) has kept me from playing with it much.

Tal.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/11/2015 08:21 PM CDT
No, we cannot sing spiked equipment with 1009 (sonic shield) or 1014 (sonic armor).

Tal.
Re: Spell suggestion 07/11/2015 08:44 PM CDT
Sounds like a suitable HSN lore improvement!

Doug