Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/18/2018 07:42 PM CST
Blade Schalyne will be in the dark elven embassy in Ta'Illistim to discuss the Path of the Palestra with any Faendryl who wish to join her.

Monday, February 19 at 8 PM EST.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/18/2018 11:59 PM CST
Curses. I work nights and that's two hours before even my first alarm goes off. My little warpath's had Palestra-shaped stars in her eyes for the entirety of her young life. I'd love to have been able to attend this.

https://gswiki.play.net/Marijka

Laelithonel: Mari is like getting a giant wheel of smoked gouda with a cute pink bow on it
Laelithonel: it's exciting. i'd love the wheel. i know eating it will kill me
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/19/2018 04:39 AM CST
Hopefully after the trials you will see more Palestra about and my plans are to do a few Palestra-type events like this throughout the year.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/19/2018 11:02 PM CST
I'm so sorry I missed this; something came up and spoiled my plans to go. I did, however, get to see a log of the event, and I had some concerns.

Speaking in Faendryl, Schalyne says, "The only ones allowed to present wandering Palestra are those tasked with this duty, our wandering Palestra."

- We have four official Palestra, only some of whom still play and not all of whom are able to provide support to new prospective Palestra.

- Those who are offering support and mentorship are limited in the number of people they can RP an apprenticeship with.

- As another player said to me about this decision, it puts the fates of some characters in the hands of other characters whose players may or may not be invested in the game.

Speaking in Faendryl, Schalyne says, "As a knight looks for certain qualities and skills in a squire so we have asked our Palestra to look for those they feel would fit as their apprentice."

Speaking in Faendryl, Schalyne says, "Many squires work for years and years before being honored with thier spurs."

- Palestra are not knights and aren't even analogous to knights. It's hard to even imagine why a Palestra Blade would use this analogy.

- Knights in the game already have a huge volume of documentation and detailed support for how squires become knights. They draw on historical references and do a lot of homework we can't do because Palestra/Faendryl have no historical analogs.

- The in-game knights like those in the Order of the Azure Sun spend a lot of OOC time making the IC parts work right. That's great, and I'm sure our Palestra players would do this too, but there are only four of them at all, one or more of whom no longer play.

I get that the Palestra are an elite group of characters (although I'd also argue that the central conflict between older and newer documentation was never really resolved), but we also need to recognize the limitations of players' time and ability to be responsible for other players' advancement in rank. It shouldn't be modeled on the humans' knighthood system, and other players' character paths shouldn't be all in the hands of just four players. That's a big burden on the Palestra and a potentially insurmountable challenge for candidates, as they may not be able to be on at the same time one of the current Palestra is. Are they expected to wait another two years or more to fulfill this roleplayed goal?

Because I don't want to be an unending fountain of negativity about something I want so much to like and support, I do have some suggestions:

- Let those who previously sponsored the original four Mahkra Palestra sponsor new candidates. Lylia would be happy to sponsor someone, possibly a couple of someones.
- Add another layer of complexity to the trials themselves by opening it to all, but winnowing them out over time. Maybe the trial is the beginning, not the culmination, of the process.
- Allow prospective Palestra to select a title that shows others they're on that path so they can more easily connect with mentors. (To return to the knight analogy, "Sir" and "Dame" are earned titles, but "Squire" is available in the mangler.)

--- Lauren, Lylia's player
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/19/2018 11:59 PM CST
I totally understand your concerns and hope to clarify here if I can and maybe alleviate some of them.

I am working on events where Faendryl have a chance to meet with the current Palestra. Three are active out of the original 4 and the fourth has already written to me about an apprentice if not for this time, for the future. So I feel this is moving in the right direction. One has asked to take on two apprentices, which was fine with me after observing the rp involved.

I agree, I should not have used the knight analogy, it was bad form in hindsight and I do apologize for it. I should have kept it to ooc places if I was going to use it.

I do not plan on the next trials being 2 years away. I am looking for it to be a regular event. I also saw a need for the current Palestra to have something to do besides wearing a pretty title. There will be at least monthly events where we do a discussion about something Palestra and then go explore some hunting area or work on skills etc. This gives the Palestra and other Faendryl a chance to talk and get to know each other better to facilitate a natural progression leading to apprentice.

I am also watching how the apprentice process goes and will help and make tweaks, encourage, etc... as needed.

The apprentice titles are a great idea, and I will look into something for future apprentices so they have something to show while they are striving for their trials.

So, I do understand the issues you present, and I hope maybe some of the above helps a bit, even if we may not agree on all of it, but for this round I am going to stick to the original plan and keep them to the apprentices. But I am also going to make sure that there are events where Palestra can meet with those aspiring to be one to help begin the rp between Palestra and apprentice. I would also encourage any Faendryl to send a note to, or seek out in game, the Palestra if you support someone working with them as an apprentice.

I think and hope that what we will have going forward will be something that will foster rp for those who truly wish to take the path to Palestra.

Please feel free to send me any other ideas, comments etc. I am always working to move forward and to improve. Your ideas, or pointing out something that is terrible, does help.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/20/2018 12:20 AM CST
Looking for a spot of clarification on the following. I wasn't there, but a friend was kind enough to paste me some snippets.

>Speaking in Faendryl, Schalyne says, "One must be fully trained in a nonstaff weapon."

Is that 'fully trained' intended to mean trained to the limit of one's profession, or is it intended to mean 2x, and thus only squares and semis need apply? I ask because I know of at least one warpath who is interested.

This bit from the Path to Palestra document would lead me to assume the former, but having it explicitly stated would be cool (and maybe a section added to the wiki somewhere to advise players of would-be Palestra of mechanical guidelines/limitations):

"During their course of study, it has happened that the warrior may show a talent for magic, healing, or other non-traditional warrior skills. Classes and studies in these areas are then added to their schooling." (From https://gswiki.play.net/Path_to_Palestra#Paths_of_Study)

Thanks!

---
Walsor Gryhm says, "Hmm, a most impressive weapon of note. I'll give you 16 silver coins for it."
You think to yourself, "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/20/2018 01:45 AM CST
<<Is that 'fully trained' intended to mean trained to the limit of one's profession, or is it intended to mean 2x, and thus only squares and semis need apply? I ask because I know of at least one warpath who is interested. >> - Mourne

A possible middle ground on this would be if the Palestra ranks had a minimum weapon ranks training. Suppose the extreme case of a Sorcerer with 102 ranks in a weapon skill, and possibly even the same in combat maneuvers. Contrast that with a level 40 semi with 2x weapons training. We can hardly say the latter is more proficient in martial ability than the former. It might just be the case that the latter can eventually become a Blade, while the Palestra will never accept such a high rank of the former.(*)

The wandering Palestra are an anomaly in the first place, and so are weapon proficient sorcerers. It would go without saying that it is not legal for a summoning sorcerer to be his own Palestra, but Aralyte did use magic (post-graduate research?) to destroy Althedeus, so it is not totally out of line for a Palestra to themselves be capable of sorcery.

- Xorus' player
Playing demon's advocate for the mutants

(*) Though the really extreme case would be a capped pure who is maxed out in multiple weapons. Maybe 200 ranks total rather than skill specific could be the criterion.
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/20/2018 02:55 AM CST
> Suppose the extreme case of a Sorcerer with 102 ranks in a weapon skill, and possibly even the same in combat maneuvers.

If we're talking extreme examples, my sorcerer has broken 800 AS with a pike, and has 4 targeted mstrikes :-)

He's never really been a "All glory and honor to the Patriarch" type, bit of an outcast, so it may be a moot point. But in case he ever had it in him, RP-wise, it's nice to know it could be there.

I don't know the details of the trials, but I understand they're combat oriented. It seems a fair tradeoff to handicap pures to make sure they're sufficiently capable martial combatants. Maybe they can't cast anything from their own profession circle during the trial, or can't cause wounds/health loss to opponents via any spells.

If it just can't be sorcerers because of how the Palestra are defined - like no one who can summon a demon can serve as a Palestra - I guess that's kind of fair. The same concern doesn't seem applicable to to other pures.
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/20/2018 04:37 AM CST
As with the first trials, they need to be trained in a weapon to the extent their profession allows.

*Palestra are warriors first. Your character must be max trained in a weapon, not a runestaff (for your level) and be a someone who primarily fights with a weapon.*

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/20/2018 10:53 AM CST

>- Let those who previously sponsored the original four Mahkra Palestra sponsor new candidates. Lylia would be happy to sponsor someone, possibly a couple of someones.

I also suggested this last night IC and it was for the purpose of including more people. I think it's unfortunate that the requirement to participate beyond watching is so heavily red-taped. I don't think that one should be able to just roll up a Faendryl upon the trials announcement and enter the testing at low level with zero history, but depending on players to stay active like that I believe will lead to issues similar to when we needed 5 player guild masters for nominations, and there were only 6 of us to begin with (I'm referring to the sorcerer and other pure guilds for which guild master only became achievable post-release of alchemy).

Allowing distinguished/accomplished Faendryl and maybe officers of the Faendryl Enclave (assuming they are fully Faendryl) to sponsor new candidates would alleviate that dependency at least a little, and I hope it is reconsidered for the next round. It also allows others who worked hard to establish their Faendryl characters to be a little more involved in the only GM-run Faendryl/dark elf-oriented storyline.
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/20/2018 01:54 PM CST
Hi Valyrka --

Thank you for the quick and thoughtful answer to my concerns. I'm happy to hear there will be more frequent Palestra trials and other opportunities for interested players to participate.

When I read last night's log of the conversation with Blade Schalyne, I saw Allereli's suggestion of inviting past sponsors of Palestra to nominate candidates, which was one of the reasons I posted. I completely agree with her that it would be a good compromise between letting any-old-body roll into the trials without any sense of history or community and making sponsorship a difficult logistical hurdle for players.

All of us -- players of our four Palestra, candidates, non-Palestra, and you -- have a bigger challenge in some ways than the knightly counterparts in the west. For one thing, knights have historical parallels; we don't have that real-world frame of reference for the role the Palestra fill. For another, the population skews pretty heavily toward the west, and there are therefore more story arcs (both GM-driven and player-driven) during which an aspiring squire or knight can step up without the need for a formal trial. And they also have a common territory with a lot of well-defined history and culture to it, making it easier for them to form a shared vision of what a knightly order should be.

I get that the Palestra trials are partly to help establish a similar shared vision for some Faendryl players -- and I am very much in favor of that. (I think that's also what you were getting at with the knightly analogy and parallels there, which makes sense.) To do that, though, might take a little more openness in the early stages of the process. The OAS and the Silver Gryphons have had RL years to develop, whereas a GM-backed Palestra path is relatively new.

Because it's so new, I hope all of us who have an interest in seeing it succeed will work together on the best way to establish a strong foundation without opening the door too widely. I understand this round of apprenticeship and trials is already underway, but like Allereli, I have my fingers crossed that there will be other paths to sponsorship too. I'd love to be more involved, maybe even see some fleshing out of cultural and historical backgrounds for Faendryl from other walks of life -- Clerisy scholars, Emporion traders, and maybe (ooh!) some aspiring members of the Extrachthonic Cartographer's Guild.

If you ever want to organize a field trip to Grik'tyr to earn a Cartography merit badge, I'm in. Lorae'tyr would be even better, but there's that whole Shieltine's Ward thing. :)

Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 08:29 PM CST

I have been at the dais 2 nights in a row, as I said I would be at the last IC meeting. 8-9. I have made announcement on lnet and town crier.

I have had one sorcerer come and speak with me about the trials, to rp some and learn what is going ic.

Blade Akru showed and we spoke for some time at dais.

I have had no Faendryl come and express interest in the trials yesterday or tonight.

I have currently one person that had spoken to me before the IC meeting Monday.

I will continue to show up around 8-9 or longer in the Elven Nations, Dais primarily or Vaalor.

As far as everyone wanting to sponsor Palestra, and everyone acting like they are not going to get a chance. They did 4 the first time. All that applied at the time as far as I know. This would have made it 8, and or 9 wince Arku has two ready to go, which seems adding suitable applicants is not an issue so far.

The RP aspect is what needs to be done. I as a player have nothing against anyone becoming a Palestra that rp's and makes effort.

I see a lot of 'problems' being expressed, when there truly does not seem to be any.

Blade Aurach

John
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 08:42 PM CST

I also wanted to make mention. 4 Blade titles is a lot. Knight and Magess titles are not handed out yearly in my experience. So, having 4 seems like a great boost to the Palestra.

Blade Aurach
John
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 08:55 PM CST

One of the aspects I really liked about the wandering Palestra,was the individuality each brought to the table. While the 'academy' Palestra have the cookie cutter mold, they train and get to attempt the trials etc. The outlander candidates, with their unique life experiences and abilities brought a fresh vibe to the Palestra. (IMO) The RP at the academy previous was amazingly done with the old Masters grumpily predicting doom and gloom in private, but not willing to cross the patriarch of course. Arku the rogue, Durakar the battle hardened warrior, Noira the fresh look of young eyes, and Aurach the grumpy ranger, all bring an individual style to the Wanderers.

Having other players find one of the current Palestra and working with them for some fun RP, etc should be a great experience. If one PC palestra is not your cup of tea, as to style and method, I would suggest engaging the others.

As far as I know, none of the PC Palestra are trying to protect the title. But picking 1 or 2, depending, with gm approval is huge, compared to knights titles or Magess.

I am really looking forward to engaging with other pc's that want to work on being Palestra. Even if one does not get in this time, we are Faendryl, long lives and next trials is just a blink away. So, enjoy the rp, get involved with one of the current Blades and have fun.

Blade Aurach

John
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 08:58 PM CST
Some people may prefer to be sponsored by those they've known and roleplayed with for some time rather than imposing on a player/character they don't know well at all, especially when the opportunities to get to know them are limited. For something this important, it's understandable to want to go to someone who's known you for months or years rather than a few hours.

I was so sorry you weren't able to stay for the Faendryl Enclave's masquerade ball the other night; I know at least two prospective Palestra characters whose players made time for the event and hoped to kill two birds with one stone. It was open to everyone, of course, just as the calendar announcements and news said, but it would have been an excellent time for them to get to know Aurach before asking him for favors. I absolutely understand why that would be important, both from an IC and OOC perspective; if I were in their shoes, I would want someone I knew to sponsor me rather than expect a stranger to take that on.

Arku's player has already posted here and said that he was unable to take on another acolyte at this time. Noira's player isn't currently playing. That narrows it down to two: Aurach and Durakar. It's wonderful that you've made yourself available on one side of the Dragonspine at night for two nights running, and it's a shame that not all players could be there at that time, but it does seem like a lot to ask of you and one other person to devote. You have already spent hours waiting, after all.

If I'm wrong about that, though, I can point a couple of other people your way. They work very late shifts, but they're generally playing by around 1:00 a.m. Eastern time. I'd be happy to facilitate that however I could. I just figured it would be easier if they could achieve the same end through someone they already know and like who keeps flexible hours.

Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 09:11 PM CST

You know if someone asks I'll make every opportunity to show or make time.

But since there are Palestra PC's, and that was how it was requested it be handled, I think it would be fair to perhaps try first before saying it wont work. As far as interacting IC, well maybe they need to get out of their comfort zone a little and interact with the Palestra that have been RP'n it for a time to get our perspective on how it has been going. IMO The only difference between this, and last time is instead of sending your recommendation to the NPC Blade you are sending it and the pc to a pc blade. There are 4 or more slots available. Looking forward to meeting with those interested.

John
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 10:26 PM CST
As mentioned in a previous, I have a young warpath who has Palestra-shaped stars in her eyes and wants nothing more from life than a chance to prove herself worthy to become one.

When I saw that you were going to be at the Faendryl Enclave's masquerade, at the last moment, I rushed that character over to the masquerade specifically to seek you out to talk on that subject, but arrived just as you left. Five minutes into the masquerade. The music hadn't even started yet. (I got a prize of a mask with a "pile of excrement" motif for having the worst costume there on no notice trying to get something together at the last instant while still arriving vaguely on time to catch you, so that was fun too.)

I appreciate that you're making yourself available in Ta'Illistim. Unfortunately, the hours of 8-9 elven are hard for me to make -- I work nights, starting at midnight elven, and 8 is two hours before my alarm goes off. That, incidentally, is the reason I didn't make Valyrka's "Path to Palestra" talk the other night. I would have liked to.

At this point I'd really like very much to take anyone up on even implied offers of support but I'm more and more getting a feeling as though this is going to take place entirely outside of my waking hours, on the opposite side of the world from my RP. I guess there's always next time.

https://gswiki.play.net/Marijka

Laelithonel: Mari is like getting a giant wheel of smoked gouda with a cute pink bow on it
Laelithonel: it's exciting. i'd love the wheel. i know eating it will kill me
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 10:33 PM CST
We could all stand to get out of our comfort zones on occasion, that's certainly true. :)

>IMO The only difference between this, and last time is instead of sending your recommendation to the NPC Blade you are sending it and the pc to a pc blade.

In an IC sense, it's not different at all; in an OOC sense, it's very different. GMs will welcome as much participation as possible, and they are vastly more accessible. The first group of Palestra had a challenging time of it IC, but OOC, they had an extremely easy route: Write to Valyrka, express interest, ask another Faendryl character to sponsor you, and put on a good show in the arena for the admiring crowd. Not that I feel the two available Palestra characters are likely to deny people entry outright or gatekeep, but it does make timing and access a challenge.

"The only difference is that another player is now your sole avenue to your character's advancement" seems fairly significant.

Fortunately, Valyrka allayed a lot of my concerns with her earlier reply to my post, so I'm more than happy to leave these decisions in her hands.

Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 10:50 PM CST

I can pop in during the mornings or late afternoon. Just give me a shout, Ill try and be in more until the trials.

John
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/21/2018 10:59 PM CST

I as a player had planned on sending anyone that my PC thought did not fit him IC as an apprentice to one of the other blades or the NPC blade:)

There is always or should always be a means to use the NPC blade if the pc blades are not available, not suitable or what have you.

ttyl

John
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/22/2018 04:55 AM CST
It is awesome seeing players passionate about your characters, who they are, and what they want to accomplish in their lives. Thank you all for presenting your ideas and thoughts in a calm, well thought out way. (too many times discussions like this blow up quickly).

Aurach is willing to come around during other times, just let him know. My blade is also wandering and watching and can recommend folks as well.

If there are others who are on non-eastern times please shout out here times when you log in during the day. I'll see what I can do about some earlier events this weekend.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/22/2018 07:37 AM CST
That's awesome, Valyrka; I'll make sure to let people know about Blade Schalyne.

I didn't realize until Aurach's post that you were also making her available. Thank you for that!

Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/22/2018 09:01 AM CST

Was able to speak and work with Brutish last week a bit.
Was able to meet up with Saepre for a good conversation this morning at HS.

Blade Aurach
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/22/2018 11:11 AM CST

I had not planned on my Blade taking part like this, and she will not recommend anyone who is not really ready at this time. While she was tasked with these wanderers, she is not totally on board with this "experiment", and there is no way she will compromise her honor with a poor candidate. (I hope some of her IC posts have given that impression. Many in NTF think them a novelty and a bad idea). This is all IC for her! (not my personal feelings)

But, if I can be around during hours where others cannot, maybe I can help those people get involved. At the very least she will talk with anyone who wants to talk to her and introduce them to other Palestra. She will not be taking apprentices, she feels all the wandering Palestra are her apprentices in a way, but if she finds someone who was of the caliber of the first group, she may decide to recommend them.

As I said before, this is not a perfect system, and I am not perfect myself. I learn from you, the players, every day. This round has opened my eyes to somethings I did not think of or plan for, so I will be going back to the drawing board and reworking some of my Palestra ideas for the future.

So, for the next week I am going to focus on promoting Palestra RP and the trials. After that I am going to keep the Rp going throughout the year so there is no scramble, like this feels like, (one of the many areas I am learning from), for the next time.

Thank you all again for the positive ideas and discussion. The fact that everyone here is so passionate about their culture is wonderful. I will be popping some rp events up on the forums tonight. Some may be for everyone, some may be for Palestra and apprentices. All Faendryl are welcome at NTF for the trials and in the next few weeks for final ceremony.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/22/2018 03:47 PM CST
Thank you for being so open to feedback. We definitely are a passionate (and opinionated!) bunch, but good things happen when we all put our heads together and try to reach a solution. Definitely looking forward to the trials, whether it be as a spectator or an aspiring Paele.

~Raethir's player
Re: Blade Schalyne Discusses the Path of the Palestra 02/22/2018 04:51 PM CST

heh - so - any ye Faendryl who is scairt of a Blade, ye can always ask Clunk to do an intro for ye.

Think I has work'd with most of em at one point or 'nuther.

promise I won't seek to bob yer ears

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)