A few ideas and recommendations 08/22/2017 09:26 AM CDT

I would like to start this submission by stating that there are a very large number of Faendryl players who are very committed to the RP behind the Faendryl storyline, history, and lore. In my opinion Faendryl are among the most RP driven cultures in GemStone taking into account the Vaalorian Elves as well of course. To that front, I feel like as though they may not get quite as much attention that they deserve.

I have a small idea as to how that could be remedied;
A large part of the Faendryl culture are based in two aspects, the Sorcerers and the Palestra that defend them. As you probably know the Palestra’s primary objective is to protect sorcerers and fellow Faendryl from demonic threats. The problem being that until level 85 there is no way to test a Palestra’s mettle against a true extra-planar enemy. (In this case being Ithzir Scouts). I understand fully that it is meant to be a higher level endeavor, however earlier training areas could be beneficial for multiple reasons.

1. Giving younger Palestra in training a place to test and hone their abilities.
2. Giving younger Sorcerers a place to practice their demonic control.
3. Lastly, given that a hunting ground would never be culturally exclusive, it gives many opportunities for all races to encounter new and exciting enemies.

My proposition, in a nutshell, is a level 50 or so rift-like hunting ground. Meaning lower level extraplanar beings for slaughter. May they be humanoid or enthralled demonic beasts or both.

The hunting ground itself could be opened with an event of some sort, Evil summoner or a Greater Demon calling forth hordes of demonic beings around Sol Haven, Icemule Trace, or Landing areas. Then leaving the portal active to the hordes to continue to plague the region and it’s adventurers.

Lastly there have been many calls for more regular Palestra Trials. Now I hope to keep Palestra on the exclusive and exalted side so I think entry to the trials should be limited to a certain number and by recommendation of the existing Blades alone. Unless there are circumstances withstanding that they weren’t able to meet a Blade beforehand, in which case I feel there should be a meeting arranged to discuss the validity of the applicant.
Re: A few ideas and recommendations 08/22/2017 09:41 AM CDT

>Now I hope to keep Palestra on the exclusive and exalted side so I think entry to the trials should be limited to a certain number and by recommendation of the existing Blades alone.

the original applicants were required to have a recommendation letter from another respected Faendryl. That mechanism is already in place.
Re: A few ideas and recommendations 08/22/2017 06:01 PM CDT
As far as a new hunting ground, that is definitely not my area and not something I can comment on.

I do plan on more Palestra trials, but they will not happen at regular intervals or on a schedule.

I would suggest if a character ever wishes to become one, they should seek out one of the current Palestra and make it a key point of their Rp. Ask to train with them, similar to a squire working with a knight. I know of at least one character working on such rp.

There will be a lot of rp leading up to it when it does happen.

~ Valyrka ~
Ta'Illistim
Elves
Dark Elves
Re: A few ideas and recommendations 09/20/2017 02:21 AM CDT
Devil's Advocate: The Level 32 - 42 creatures in the Broken Lands were supposed to be extra-planar (though non-demonic ones), they're just not treated that way in the game mechanics. The Rift is extra-planar and dips down to Level 75. There is a case to be made for demonic corruption and possibly some kind of extra-planar hybridization in Shadow Valley, Foggy Valley, and the Red Forest as well, which is around 30 to 75.(*) Dark shamblers were originally considered demonic (archaic) and are Level 17.

I would like to see demons more developed in general, maybe even reclassify some of the existing creatures for it, but they would have to define a lot about the extra-planar cosmology first. The thing I liked most about the Faendryl socio-political document, though, was that it pushed away from reducing the culture to summoners/palestra.

- Xorus' player

(*) Sanctum of Scales is capped but was also a case of Ur-Daemon corruption. There is a vague but long-standing relationship between the demonic and undead, where the dark power behind the corruption of undeath was originally fundamentally extra-planar. That was quasi-revived with The Rift, but it would need to be made explicit.