Breakage-Enhancive parallel 11/06/2015 02:14 PM CST
It's interesting how conceptually similar enhancives and enhancive maintenance are to breakage as it was written up. To wit, crumbly enhancives last for awhile then disappear from the game. They can be recharged (repaired) for a fee, using in-game currency. Enhancives that persist lose their charges and can be repaired, but don't crumble. If the benefits of an item are good (subjective decision), then the cost to recharge is acceptable. But the crumbly enhancives -- if fusion didn't exist, would they be of any value, even if they provided a significant benefit? Let's say you could buy an enhancive sword that provided +20 bonus to 2HW AND to OHE, had enough charges it should last a 6-12 months, or even 1-2 years, but it eventually crumbles. Let's say you could also buy the same sword with +50 to both. Knowing it will eventually crumble, how much would it be worth to have one? Just for the sake of discussion, what if breakage was implemented but catastrophic breakage didn't affect the items in the game now? What if only a select group of crumbly weapons and armor are made available? Everything else persists. Then, to throw a wrench in, what if these crumbly items are much better than what you have now? What if crumbly items go up to 20x? :)
Re: Breakage-Enhancive parallel 11/06/2015 04:21 PM CST

Could use some paragraphing for readability-- just saying.

I agree that the comparison is interesting. An important difference is even crumbly enhancives can be recharged at the AG and are thus quasi-permanent. Only the foolhardy lose a crumbly enhancive that they care about.

As I understand breakage, even maintained weapons had a chance to shatter irreparably despite a player's best efforts. This was the element that made it extremely unpalatable. (although constant maintenance != fun for me either).

I would say the best analogue to breakage in the current game is temporary padding on armors. You can get some really nice padding on armors from the treasure system but they're going to be temporary. Finding anything permanent, even just HCP, is nearly impossible. From treasure anyway, many of these items exist already or are being built with PP.
Re: Breakage-Enhancive parallel 11/09/2015 09:20 AM CST
I would like temporary padding (or other benefits) a lot more if they could be added to the equipment that I actually use, rather than whatever they happen to be found on.

I know that we have 'undershirts' now, and a surcoat can be correctly worn outside armor while a gambeson can be correctly worn under one.

How about 'linings' for armor, that provide <some number of hits> worth of <some level of> <some kind of> <padding or resistance>? Maybe one particular animal skin is excellent against <something>, or one particular plant gets woven--look, more Adventurer Guild questing stuffs!--to make <something>, or...

Or the ability to remove flares and get <some limited number> of a weaker/less frequent version added to another weapon. Or to armor. Or to shields. Or something.