HSN Release: Breakage! 08/25/2015 03:47 PM CDT
http://www.play.net/gs4/info/breakage.asp

OH Breakage, Where art thou! We've needed you so!
Re: HSN Release: Breakage! 08/25/2015 03:58 PM CDT
SOLD!

(I knew there were some other right-thinking people still here. :)

I don't know enough about reading HTML, because even when I 'view source' on that page, I can't see the date that it was posted. :(
Re: HSN Release: Breakage! 08/25/2015 04:34 PM CDT
At least there is someone else with some sense on the boards. Of all the systems that need help the most the ECONOMY is #1 on that list. Here's to hoping the GS economy gets long long over due love. PS. Yes, i too have gear worth 1000's of dollars in real life cash too unfortunately, but i'd gladly give it up if it meant some of the coolest and unique stuff could be enjoyed by a greater number of players instead of lockers. It feels like the inflation has gotten so bad GS is more of a business now for the players to generate RL currency than it an RP environment anymore...and that is kinda sad. When financial windfalls overshadow the RP value of items its time to take a serious look at the economy.
Re: HSN Release: Breakage! 08/25/2015 04:57 PM CDT

One of the systems that would ruin GS and put the final nail in the coffin.
Re: HSN Release: Breakage! 08/25/2015 07:18 PM CDT
Please note this from the page you cited:

>REPAIR
>There are two types of repair - Integrity and Catastrophic.

>Integrity: If your combat item is down to 90% Integrity, you will want to get it fixed because it will more likely be the weaker item in a clash and it will be easier to break. Integrity can either be repaired by taking the item to the NPC repairer, found in every town, or it will be possible to buy repair kits and the item can be repaired by you or another player. A player's skill in repairing is directly related to their skill in that item. For example, if you are trying to repair your shield, your shield use skill will be taken into account. The only other modifier to player repair will come from the Forging skill and will only be used to modify weapons.

>Catastrophic: A catastrophic repair would need to be done on an item whose Integrity has reached 0%. If an item is catastrophically broken, only an NPC repairer may fix it. (In most cases, the NPC need not be a GM. There will be automated NPCs available at all times.)

>The price of repair will be released in the coming months, so please stay tuned to this page and the GemStone IV Forums for updates and additional information. Please note that it is very reasonably priced, but the exact numbers are not available for release at this time.

In other words, this system of breakage was not meant to destroy items and take them away from people. I have never opposed that sort of a system.

A system that just takes items away from people without the chance to repair them is still the one thing that could make me leave this game behind for good.

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: HSN Release: Breakage! 08/25/2015 08:16 PM CDT
Even if it's not intended to remove items from the game, I dislike the idea of "breakage" on principle immensely. I find it annoying in most games, I'm relieved -- personally -- that it doesn't exist in this game.

I would also argue that if it's not intended to remove items from the game, then... what's the point? How would having to pay silver or whatever to repair stuff segue into allowing more items to be released, without items eventually leaving circulation and going away? That obvious benefit doesn't make sense to me, given the context of things not actually being destroyed. And I get it... while it's supposed to be a silvers drain, bear in mind that such a system would affect everyone, from people in 1x or 2x gear to people with 10x super-padded uber-equipment, so it wouldn't just be a drain for the rich.

There have been so many quality-of-life releases, as of late, that have streamlined this game and made it easier to play; I don't really see why adding an additional complication is really necessary. There are certain levels of realism that I just don't need to enjoy the game, and some that would actually only serve to hinder said enjoyment. That's just my 2 cents, though... I'm sure there are a few that would be in favor of it (though I'd guess not the majority), and that's totally fine -- it's not my place to tell people what they like, and some like different things than others.

But if they want to add something that has a smithing/forging element to involve more skills and more players (the only upshot to breakage I can fathom), why not introduce something positive instead? Like a more robust system for adding temporary "fiddly bits" to armor and weapons with minor benefits -- like warriors and such can already do, but far more universally accessible and complex.

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

"Bring me your suffering. The rattle roar of broken bones. Bring me the riot in your heart... Angry, wild, and raw. I am not afraid of the dark." -- mia hollow
[ https://carrionkissingchaos.wordpress.com ]