Connectivity Problems 08/22/2017 10:47 PM CDT
While I can download SF and Wizard, I cannot get either one to install.

This would not be a problem, except that I can only log in briefly through the web browser. It doesn't take long for the browser to become "sticky" and for my commands to fail to go through. This has a tendency to happen while I'm hunting (i.e., when the game punishes you for logging off), requiring me to log off and log back in again in hopes of jolting the game back to functionality.

By the way, I am running the game on a brand-new Windows 10 laptop (I've had it about three weeks), and I do not have any Lich or Ruby files. There are no problems with functionality on my end.
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/22/2017 11:00 PM CDT
>>While I can download SF and Wizard, I cannot get either one to install.

Let's start here. What is the behavior you experience when you try to install on your WIN10 platform?

>>It doesn't take long for the browser to become "sticky" and for my commands to fail to go through.

This could be several different things - but since I've been noticing it myself, and noticing it with the Wizard FE, I'm thinking it might be more general than 'which browser, which add-ons', etc. So let's get you in game with an FE first, and then see if you still see this.

Doug
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/23/2017 08:05 AM CDT

If you right click the launcher.exe file and select run as administrator, what happens?
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/23/2017 01:16 PM CDT
"While I can download SF and Wizard, I cannot get either one to install."

>>Let's start here. What is the behavior you experience when you try to install on your WIN10 platform?

I download InchInst.exe for the Game Launcher for SF and/or Windows (I get sent to the same page no matter what happens). I try to open it. It insists that I run it as an admin, which I do. It tells me that the launcher has been downloaded and that everything is fine.

In fact, the launcher is nowhere and is not running at all. It's an exercise in futility.
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/23/2017 01:26 PM CDT
>>If you right click the launcher.exe file and select run as administrator, what happens?

The Simutronics Games Launcher claims to install. However, when searched for, the launcher does not appear. And when I go to the GO PLAY page, I'm informed over and over again that I need to download the launcher AGAIN. Neither SF nor Wizard recognizes that the launcher is there, and the launcher does not actually work.
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/23/2017 02:16 PM CDT
Are you letting it install to its default location, or are you specifying a specific location for the install?

There are some directories under WIN10 which cannot execute programs, which is why I ask.

Doug
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/24/2017 03:48 PM CDT
>>Are you letting it install to its default location, or are you specifying a specific location for the install?

>>There are some directories under WIN10 which cannot execute programs, which is why I ask.

Letting it install to default. Which does not appear to have worked--I can't find one trace of a launcher in my computer's programs. There should be one, and I don't know why there isn't. But there isn't.
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/24/2017 03:48 PM CDT
>>Are you letting it install to its default location, or are you specifying a specific location for the install?

>>There are some directories under WIN10 which cannot execute programs, which is why I ask.

Letting it install to default. Which does not appear to have worked--I can't find one trace of a launcher in my computer's programs. There should be one, and I don't know why there isn't. But there isn't.
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/24/2017 03:55 PM CDT
Default should be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMU

Under that directory the file 'launcher.exe' should exist.

If you've checked there, and it isn't there, there must be some reason it isn't writing / installing to that location. If you didn't look there explicitly, and it is really there but you're still getting the behavior you describe, we're on to a different problem. Please validate and confirm?

Doug
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/24/2017 04:15 PM CDT
I have the SGE and StormFront loaded on my Win10 laptop. Last I checked it worked fine.

Lets first try and locate where the files are stored... mind you I had trouble finding this at first because Win10 doesn't exactly make it easy for one to find using their "mobile-like" interface.

Open up File Explorer, and drill yourself down to C:Program Files (x86):SIMU directory. Inside there you should see a SGE directory (assuming you installed it there) and a StormFront directory. If for some reason you cannot locate the SIMU folder at all, then something went wrong with the installation.

Please try downloading the SGE (Simutronics Game Entry) here: http://www.play.net/gs4/downloads/ and install it. If you also do not have StormFront installed either (likely if you cannot locate the SIMU directory) download that as well from the same page.

Be sure to install them to the Program Files (x86) and not the default Program Files directory.

Let us know if this helps.

~Contemplar~
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/24/2017 04:29 PM CDT
>I have the SGE and StormFront loaded on my Win10 laptop. Last I checked it worked fine.

I've been spammed by UAC demanding permissions since I moved to Win10 (not unique to the Launcher in WIn10, but not everything spams UAC at me), and SF has crashed windows twice in the few weeks that I've had it, so I wouldn't say it works fine in Win10.
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/24/2017 04:36 PM CDT
Never had any issue like that since windows 10 beta. Sounds like you have other issues going on with your install.

Wyrom says, "Ordim is the reason savants won't be coded as well."
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/25/2017 04:08 PM CDT
>>Lets first try and locate where the files are stored... mind you I had trouble finding this at first because Win10 doesn't exactly make it easy for one to find using their "mobile-like" interface.

That's true enough.

>>Open up File Explorer, and drill yourself down to C:Program Files (x86):SIMU directory.

It's there!

>>Inside there you should see a SGE directory (assuming you installed it there) and a StormFront directory. If for some reason you cannot locate the SIMU folder at all, then something went wrong with the installation.

Uh...no. I can tell you what exists in the SIMU folder: help32 and INSTALL (both text documents), launcher.cfg, Launcher (application), Inchupdr (application), and updreg.dll (application extension).

No SGE. No SF. And I am still unable to launch Launcher (or run it as an administrator).

Sorry, Contemplar.
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/26/2017 08:38 AM CDT
Not sure about Win 10, but Win 7 when I did the standard install of SGE, this is where I find it:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Re: Connectivity Problems 08/26/2017 10:07 AM CDT
>>And I am still unable to launch Launcher (or run it as an administrator).

let's pause here a second and let me ask something. I think you mentioned after you installed this you've already tried, but I want to be sure.

Do you try to start the game from the web browser, or do you try to start the game by clicking on launcher.exe?

If the latter (by clicking on launcher.exe), log back into the web site, and click on GO PLAY! (upper menu option on right)

Then, make sure your character is selected, and look down in the second section (titled "Select Connection Method". It probably has 'Play in Browser' selected. Pick Stormfront and then click the GO PLAY! button. Don't worry about downloading, it will do that automatically.

Let me know!

Doug