accessibility issues 06/07/2017 01:05 PM CDT
Hello from a new player! I am really enjoying my experience thus far but I am having a few problems because your Front Ends are not accessible for the blind or visually impaired. I am blind, so I can't use the client to connect. My community has our own clients (I personally use VIP MUD) to connect that do more than just read the screen aloud, which makes gameplay incredibly slow; there are many other features that make it accessible. There isn't anything you need to adapt on your Front Ends, but connecting to your games through our accessible clients is difficult because of the log in key that expires after a certain amount of time or after we log out. It is extremely cumbersome to have to download and manually enter a log in key each time I want to play. Is there something that can be done about this to make it more accessible to the blind? Can we use an address/port # to connect? I read the tips on the wiki for the visually impaired, but they aren't sufficient. Thank you."
The link to the wiky is the following:
https://­gswiki.play.net/­Visually_impaired_pla­yer_guide
Thanks for reading!
Re: accessibility issues 06/07/2017 01:24 PM CDT
Are you able to use zmud? It has a built in login for Gemstone, you just enter your account name and password.
Re: accessibility issues 06/08/2017 10:41 AM CDT
Hello from another blind/visually impaired player.

Unfortunately that is the only way to login to the game that I know of.

I agree it's cumbersome and I've contacted feedback regarding it and they said it is on their 'to-do' list to see if they can make their Front End's accessible, but there is no timeframe as to when that might happen. You might want to contact feedback as well and tell them you're interested (you can see the email's for this by typing the command "EMAIL" in-game.) Maybe if more of us email them about it they'll put it at a higher priority.

Granted, I have no idea what programming language StormFront is coded in and I have no clue how easy/hard it would be to have it interface with a screen reader properly. There are also interactive links in the story window to contend with, etc.

I do also use VIP MUD and I think it has been asked for/suggested several times for the developer to add a built-in way to login to Simutronics' games, though I have no idea if this is still on the table for future versions. (This would be similar to the functionality on the gMud or zMud client mentioned above that already has a built-in login system.)

Anyhow. Wish I had better news!

I have been logging in with the login key method since 2009, though - after a few years of doing that, you get really adept at it!