Wierd Issues with only 1 character 02/17/2017 10:37 AM CST
I started having issues yesterday with one of my Characters

Durring ;go2 on a trip back to town, Illi, he ended up on the ferry, and no room database was showing.. It Finaly after 2x logging out and back it started working again

Now Today... same thing but wont fix itself

This is all I get when I log into SF

--- Lich v4.6.38 is active. Type ;help for usage info.

Please wait for connection to game server.
Welcome to GemStone IV (R) v5.10
Copyright 2017 Simutronics Corp.
All Rights Reserved
>
You release 1 mana into the surrounding area.
>
[repository: Lich is up-to-date]
[repository: map database is up-to-date]
[repository: scripts are up-to-date]
--- Lich: repository has exited.

--- Welcome to LNet. I think so, Brain, but calling it pu-pu platter? Huh, what were they thinking?

None of the other info shows up

if I do ;sloot sell he just lags at gemshop after pulling 1 gem out and just sits there...

Is there a reset, or a file to change to go back to a previous login?????

All my other characters log in fine... 4 different accounts... also 2 others on this account work fine also

Thanks all

Stav
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 02/17/2017 10:44 AM CST
This sounds like a Lich problem, not a game connection problem. See http://forum.gsplayers.com/forumdisplay.php?104-The-Lich-Project
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 02/17/2017 11:37 AM CST
Yer, definitely a Lich problem. I don't know how active the "Unsupported Third-party Software" topic here is, but that would be a better place to get answers on the forums. Going over to PC and posting there would prolly get a faster response though.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 02/18/2017 09:53 AM CST

Thanks all Ill try that
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 02/18/2017 10:47 AM CST
Erm . . . email first, please?

I have something I want you to try. Rather use a fly-swatter than a maul, if we can.

Doug
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 04:03 PM CDT
I've seen a similar, if not exactly the same, issue. There is something breaking in the xml tags that are being sent from Simu's side, though tracking down exactly what has proven to be a HUGE PAIN. So far we have verified that the issue is present with and without Lich running on StormFront and is present across multiple computers - showing that the issue is not inherent in any third party program, nor in the computer.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 04:09 PM CDT
Did this ever get taken care of for this person? I have been fighting this as an issue for months now and it -cannot- be strictly an issue with lich as it is just 1 character, same as him, that is having the issues. Most of the time it occurs after a SF crash, but lately it's become the norm. The reason I say it cannot be strictly lich is because I have logged in through SGE on Stormfront and the issue remains. I'd say once every 20 log ins I log in the way I'm supposed to, even taking lich out and using SGE for SF, even trying to log in on alternate computers. Is my character corrupt? Can this be fixed? I can't play her the way I would like to if there is something I can't fix on my end because of a file corruption.

Original post/thread with original info can be found here: http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Software%20&%20Hardware%20Help/StormFront%20FE%20Discussions/view/578

As you can see, this has gone into a months long battle for me. I need a resolution.
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 05:28 PM CDT
>> I need a resolution.

Have you done an in-game assist and consult with a GM? I think there was one other instance like this that had 'no solution' that a GM fixed in game. But I might be confusing things. . .

Doug
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 05:32 PM CDT
>>Have you done an in-game assist and consult with a GM? I think there was one other instance like this that had 'no solution' that a GM fixed in game. But I might be confusing things. . .

Back when this originally happened, I was in contact with GMs. Their response was that the issue was with lich, but unless lich is seriously breaking things through Stormfront (Re: Issues continue when logging in through SGE for SF sans lich, even on alternate computers), then it is -not- a lich issue. However, getting someone to say as much isn't happening. There are temporary fixes that work for maybe a day or two, but then I'm back to square one... Not to mention the fact that I am progressively getting worse... again.
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 06:16 PM CDT
I had hoped it wasn't you that reported the success.

I do understand that the staff needs to eliminate Lich as a probable culprit. I also suspect (no basis, just suspicion) that tools to help the GMs troubleshoot connectivity issues in game are rather sparse. After all, it seems counter intuitive - if you can get in the game and assist, why would there need to be a tool to troubleshoot a problem with connecting? You may represent an edge case.

I have something that might maybe help.

Containers. Especially crafted containers with custom open / close / put in / take out / inventory messages. I know these have caused some havoc in the past (I think there's even a PC thread on this very topic). The problem might maybe be associated with the messaging these containers send. It apparently at least has the effect of messing with the 'container' windows and select Lich scripts.

You might see if you can get in game long enough to quickly hand off any such containers, log out (then repeat in and out - just for me), and then see if game play resumes normally. If it does - you can be fairly sure you have a container that is not really conforming well - and the consequences may be a bit odd.

At that point, too - you would be able to assist with a very specific requirement rather than the general one that the GMs don't necessarily have tools to see the outcomes or assist with directly.

Doug
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 06:41 PM CDT
Did not work. In fact, when I initially logged in to start doing the passing off of containers, I started getting the bounty message at log in -again-. Moved the containers and then I was faced with a progressively worse log in. Note: I do -not- have my inventory/container windows open.

If I log in using Wizard through SGE when I get borked, my log following log in through SGE SF or Lich SF seems unbroken. TEMPORARY fix. That's it. Next log in? Who even knows.
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 06:54 PM CDT
Since we're trying out item properties and I know (As I've personally experienced it before) that containers have broken my log in, what about other items? I have a veil iron DR moonshard pendant I got last year when my fiance managed to successfully and quite luckily find the missing pieces on the last day. I tend to wear it all the time so what if... I took it off and stowed it away... 4 log ins after and maybe there's hope?
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 07:05 PM CDT
Urgh.

This is really beginning to irritate me. I can only imagine how you must feel by now. :(

I worked with Stav on this (the OP for this thread), and unless you're Stav, we managed to get it settled mid-Feb.

Since you mention SGE / Wizard, it might be worth the shot. If you're using the Lich quick game entry feature, it's definitely worth a shot.

If you are, delete that character's quick game entry and log in manually. Still use Stormfront, etc.

If you're not, please send a 'known good' Lich debug file and a 'known problem' Lich debug file to me. It will likely only show connections, etc - but review it first.

Doug
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/28/2017 07:07 PM CDT
Nice! Keep my second idea handy if you run into the problem again.

If not, and you don't see this for some time - maybe a week of gaming? - then I'd say you're pretty much in the zone and it should be assisted and looked at.

Doug
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/31/2017 08:54 AM CDT
3 Day Update:

Aside from a single disconnect during Reim due to screen scroll and some minor borkage, log in issues appear non-existent. Log in has been consistent, no weird "Bounty" message at the beginning, story window loads properly... This, is, of course after I've removed the item in question that may be causing the issues. 4 more days until I ASSIST just to be sure but if this is the case, dear lord, I am so grateful it's not a Lich/SF issue causing the problem.

#bardlife
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/31/2017 11:20 AM CDT
So what was the problem?!

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 03/31/2017 02:01 PM CDT
I'm hesistant to say for sure, but it appears to be my DR pendant.

#bardlife
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 04/05/2017 02:24 PM CDT
Okay, so, to follow up after some personal IT from several people, there were SEVERAL issues at work here that created a perfect storm of errors and so built my frustration.

1. Running Windows 10 on a laptop
2. Not running SF as admin
3. Lich files in my documents folder (which NEVER caused an issue before), Ruby in program files.
4. Crashes. OMG, the crashes.

So what ended up happening was a wipe and fresh install of Stormfront and Lich, giving them their own file on my C: drive.
Went into properties for SF and Ruby, set to run as admin, and made sure to set compatibility mode to 2007.
It's suspected that my antivirus might be kicking some of the information which was causing some of the borkage but no way to no for sure. As of this moment, EVERYTHING appears great and normal but I won't know until Reim tonight if I crash tonight.

Thank you to Wyrom, Retser, Haliste, and the other GMs who worked to try and figure out why things were breaking as sporadically as they were.

#bardlife
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 04/06/2017 06:10 AM CDT
So after several log ins that were broken and logged to send up the chain and my room window being closed and minimizing what I was using, I removed my DR MoonShard pendant and like a miracle, I was able to log in normally. This was after I did all the steps recommended to fix the issue. I was okay for a short time then problems. On the plus side, I didn't crash in Reim, I just had very, very bad lag (part of which I'm thinking had to do with the log in issue as well).

Review of what hasn't worked (or only worked for a short time):
-rebooting
-fresh installs
-closing story
-not running any extra autostart scripts at log
-constant log in log off to jolt the problem
-throwing my laptop at a wall
-crying myself to sleep
-yelling/screaming at my computer
-disabling Norton

What has worked:
-removing the DR veil iron MoonShard pendant

#bardlife
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 04/06/2017 06:43 AM CDT
I should note I'm further testing this by giving it to Durakar to wear and use and see if it's just me or if he sees the same issues.

#bardlife
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 04/06/2017 11:05 AM CDT
I'll drop you a note about something to consider.

Doug
Re: Wierd Issues with only 1 character 04/17/2017 07:10 PM CDT
Day ?? Update.

After some attempted debugging last week and what not, things look stable for the moment. I haven't crashed and it would seem a lot of the log in issues stemmed primarily from the crashes and secondarily from swapping characters too fast. Semi-resolved but questions remain.

#bardlife