Game keeps ghosting me - no idea why 10/28/2016 07:48 AM CDT
This is incredibly frustrating, but I keep having to repeatedly log into the game. I'll log in, play normally, and then suddenly all data stops flowing to Stormfront. I wait a few seconds to see if it's just lag, but it just hangs there. I have to reconnect via the website and log back in. The website isn't losing my credentials, so it's not that. This will happen repeatedly during some game sessions, and sometimes not happen at all during other game sessions.

I went hunting right now and got myself killed in the Scatter because of this. Right now, I've been dead for 13 minutes, and data's flowed normally.

I don't know if it's a WiFi issue, router issue, software issue, or an actual Simu-side problem. (kind of doubt the last one, but really at a loss)

I'm running Win 7 if that helps. Regularly updated.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: Game keeps ghosting me - no idea why 10/28/2016 08:46 AM CDT
>I don't know if it's a WiFi issue, router issue, software issue, or an actual Simu-side problem. (kind of doubt the last one, but really at a loss)

Have you power cycled the router and modem? Sometimes they just need to be restarted. If you haven't, simply unplug the power to them and wait 60 seconds. First plug the modem power back in and wait 30 seconds. Then plug the router back in (it is possible you have a modem/router, all-in-one, from your ISP. If you do, just unplug it and wait about 60 seconds and plug it back in). A minute or two after the power cycle your connection should be back. See if this helps out.

Story time on why power cycling your modem/router is a good thing every now and then
I recently had an issue with SSL certificates not being authenticated. I reset my router and computer (didn't do the modem) and it didn't fix the issue. The issue just happened to crop up after I had to re-install Windows 7 (motherboard died, I had to replace it) the other day. I updated Win 7 over the night and the next day the SSL issues came up. I thought it was just an issue with Win 7 install and updates, but my research didn't bring up any Win 7 updates that cause this issue.. Went through the whole install process for Win 7 again and ran into even more issue - failure to get the OS to update or even access most webpages in IE or Chrome. I went back and power cycled the modem (wish I did this the first time around) and the router again and the problem went away.

You can try the "resync" command in game. Just type in 'resync' and see if that gets you back going. I haven't had to do this for a long time, but it's worth a try when things seem to stop.

If you're playing on a wireless connection, while it shouldn't really be an issue, a wired connection is always superior. If you can, try playing with a wired connection (unless you already are) to see if that helps.

As for the connection to the game, it could certainly just be something outside of your control. I'd start with things you can do (restarting modem/router and also your computer if you don't do that very often) and make use of the 'resync' command next time things appear to hang and see if that helps at all.

-Drumpel
Re: Game keeps ghosting me - no idea why 10/28/2016 10:05 AM CDT
I was going to pretty much say what Drumpel did. When I'm playing on the wireless connection at my parent's house I have the same thing happen occasionally and going in and resetting their modem usually resolves it. If there's no lag or anything preceding the drop (in my case the FE stops responding to commands for a few seconds without warning before the disconnect message pops up), either resetting your modem/router or plugging in should resolve it.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Game keeps ghosting me - no idea why 10/28/2016 01:36 PM CDT
You might also check microwave oven usage. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

Doug
Re: Game keeps ghosting me - no idea why 10/28/2016 04:18 PM CDT
haha. the microwave oven was unfortunately not on this morning when it happened.

I'll double check the router, though usually when I have problems that require a power-cycle, it's usually unable to connect at all to the internet. (web browsing, email, etc.) Since we have a fiber connection, it's pretty much the only piece of equipment that I have between my computer and the connection. I didn't know about resync - I'll give that a try the next time it crops up.

Worth pinging play.net to see what's happening when I have an issue?

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: Game keeps ghosting me - no idea why 10/28/2016 04:56 PM CDT
>Worth pinging play.net to see what's happening when I have an issue?

Doubt it would do you any good. From what I remember I think they have pingback disabled....yeah, just tried to ping www.play.net and got no response.

You could do a tracert www.play.net. It should get you as far as a hop in St. Louis (xiolink.com) and then requests will timeout after it (just like with a ping request). If you have any large number of timeouts between you and xiolink.com, then the problem lies somewhere from your physical location to St. Louis and the issue is beyond your control.

What you could do is run a constant ping to your router and/or modem to see if you get a drops while you're online. So if you're connection to SF hangs, you can check the ping to your router and/or modem to see if it has any drops at the same time SF hangs on you.

-Drumpel
Re: Game keeps ghosting me - no idea why 10/28/2016 05:05 PM CDT
If you feel a compelling need, you can ping ping.play.net. They kindly set this up to allow for ICMP requests directed to the router in this case.

I'd agree, though - it's not likely to give much detail. And I'd still lean towards interference if this is a relatively new behavior.

Doug