One character connection error? 08/05/2014 01:13 PM CDT
Yesterday I started having trouble logging in one character via stormfront. My other four characters log in fine, and this one did too yesterday, but suddenly I get an error message every time I try to log in. Before Stormfront can start up, I get an error message that says:

Layout Paragraph: GetTextExtentExPoint and then a C++ runtime error for stormfront.exe.

I'm running Windows 8.1.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times. I've tried running stormfront.exe and launcher.exe in Win7 compatability mode.
All of that character's info is saved locally. I can log in with that character on other computers using Stormfront, or from the problem computer using the web client.

Anyone have any ideas?
Re: One character connection error? 08/05/2014 01:27 PM CDT
I haven't worked with Windows 8.1 directly, but you should be able to set it to run in a lower Windows revision context.

I hate this approach, but since SFE isn't even starting, it's probably a service or driver installed with your 8.1 implementation that's causing this. And no good way to determine which, that I know of, based on that message.

Details on using Compatibility Troubleshooter here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Doug
Re: One character connection error? 08/05/2014 01:59 PM CDT
Yeah, I've tried all the compatibility stuff and haven't had any luck. It doesn't seem like that should be the issue, since stormfront works fine with my other characters on that computer, but who knows.
Re: One character connection error? 08/05/2014 09:28 PM CDT

Don't login with the SGE for that char. Login through the website and select stormfront as the fe. If it lets you login that way move about a few rooms then logout out. If that doesnt werk, I dunno
Re: One character connection error? 08/05/2014 09:30 PM CDT

I should add that I have had problems similar to that, and that worked for me to resolve the issue. Never seen that message before, ormaybe I just never payed enough attention