Telnet 07/17/2014 07:16 AM CDT
Hello.

I am an OLD returning player (can you say G-E-n-i-e?). I am also physically handicapped and the game clients make playing GS difficult for me. Is it possible to access the game via telnet?

Thanks!
Re: Telnet 07/17/2014 09:05 AM CDT
Hi Hollens,

I originally started playing Gemstone on Genie as well. Welcome back!

I don't have a direct answer for you (although I am fairly certain the answer is that you cannot access the game via telnet) but am curious as to how telnet would assist you in accessing the game and what features of the current clients make accessing the game difficult?

There are some third party tools, such as Lich, that can assist in automating portions of the game but at the end of the day you would still need to be able to enter text and respond to what is happening in the game environment.

-- Robert
Re: Telnet 07/18/2014 09:02 PM CDT
Are you using JAWS or something?

I used to telnet into the game and while I don't have the details on hand right now, it involves downloading your .sal file, reading the coded information and sending that within the telnet app to let the game know who you are.

Connecting without that titbit of info is easy, but since the server has no idea who you are, you don't go anywhere. There isn't an option to connect then declare who you are.

I will see if I can do it and then post a walk through of how to do it. I'll have to work from memory, and mine is particularly bad lately. Your best option is to use anything other than telnet.

Magarven the Mad