CMAN Riposte 01/29/2017 11:27 PM CST
Yes, I know of Stance of Mongoose. Only available to a warrior or monk. I didn't see any other cman like it....I'd like to see a riposte that all can train in, but it won't be as effective as Stance of Mongoose and it doesn't stack with Stance of Mongoose, either.

CMAN Riposte
Available to: All
Mnemonic: Riposte
Cost: None
Roundtime: Passive
Requirements: Weapon suitable for melee attack or empty hand.
Notes: Does not stack with Stance of Mongoose. If Stance of Mongoose is active, it takes priority over Riposte.

Description:
If the defender successfully parries an attack while in a forward or greater stance, he or she may launch an automatic retaliatory melee or unarmed strike at -1 RT for first 4 ranks, -2 RT for 5th rank. The chance to launch this retaliatory strike is 5/10/15/20/30% at ranks 1/2/3/4/5, and such strikes are limited to once every (10 - Rank) seconds. The riposte attack is at -10/-8/-6/-4/0% of current AS (does not include blue crystal/spirit strike) at ranks 1/2/3/4/5.
Rank Square Semi Pure
1 2 3 4
2 3 4 6
3 4 6 9
4 6 9 13
5 9 13 18

The benefits aren't super exciting and lack when compared to Stance of the Mongoose. Mongoose would be superior over this Riposte in every way. I'd like to have a chance to allow melee fighters to have an option of a bit more flare when they're fighting. If you can parry an attack, you should have a chance to riposte. I could see this working great for a character I'm working on. He's no warrior or monk, but he would like the ability to riposte after a successful parry.

Minimum (rank 1) rank of Mongoose you can retaliate every 5 seconds, have a 50% chance to retaliate and at -2 RT.
Minimum (rank 1) rank of Riposte you have 5% chance to retaliate every 9 seconds at -1 RT with a -10% to your AS.

Maxed (rank 3) Mongoose, 100% chance to retaliate, -2 RT and can retaliate every 3 seconds - only costs 24 CM to max
Maxed (rank 5) Riposte, 30% chance to retaliate, -2 RT with no AS penalty and can do it every 5 seconds. 24 CM for square, 35 CM for semi & 50 CM for pure to max.

-Drumpel
Re: CMAN Riposte 01/30/2017 12:23 AM CST
Given that this isn't a martial stance, I would hesitate to say it's worse than Mongoose in every way. A purely passive counterattack is really good.
Re: CMAN Riposte 01/30/2017 03:34 PM CST
Counter proposal.. make maneuvers like mongoose available to everyone, but toss out geometric progression. As with trainable skills, make them incredibly expensive if they are intended for squares only. Something like:

RankSquareSemiPure
28100-
312--

I agree it should be called riposte instead of mongoose, though. And that critters should have it.
Re: CMAN Riposte 01/31/2017 12:34 AM CST

make maneuvers like mongoose available to everyone... make them incredibly expensive if they are intended for squares only.

Skill based systems vs. class based systems. GS was mostly a skill based system, but more and more class features have been grafted on. This is an example, CMANs could have but open to everyone but incredibly expensive if they are intended for squares only.
Re: CMAN Riposte 01/31/2017 09:10 AM CST
Right. CM ranks are expensive enough that pure spellcasters typically don't pick up many of them (due to opportunity cost, "I can sink a ton of points into this for one measly rank that doesn't do much on its own, OR I can pick up a half a spell rank")...
...and then, due to the higher ranks-per-knowledge on the CMan research itself, it takes them longer to get any good with them, anyhow.

There's a whole raft of CMans that I'd like to see opened up with just the normal Square | Semi | Pure cost progression, because I know some of my Semi's would love to have them.

I would also like to see Shield (and Armor, but let's be honest: especially Shield) opened up the same way. You trained in a rank. You get to use it. What's the problem?
Re: CMAN Riposte 01/31/2017 09:29 AM CST
>There's a whole raft of CMans that I'd like to see opened up with just the normal Square | Semi | Pure cost progression, because I know some of my Semi's would love to have them.

I could see a couple that my bard or war mage would like to make use of. It would be nice.

>I would also like to see Shield (and Armor, but let's be honest: especially Shield) opened up the same way. You trained in a rank. You get to use it. What's the problem?

Yes, yes please. Semi's should have some knowledge, pures should be able to dabble, while squares can easily master these...Well, I'm not so sure about armor, but certainly for shields. It would be nice to see some kind of benefit if a semi or pure could sink ranks into some Shield Specialization ranks.

-Drumpel
Re: CMAN Riposte 01/31/2017 12:29 PM CST
>Yes, yes please. Semi's should have some knowledge, pures should be able to dabble, while squares can easily master these...Well, I'm not so sure about armor, but certainly for shields. It would be nice to see some kind of benefit if a semi or pure could sink ranks into some Shield Specialization ranks.

Its not a square/semi thing. Paladins get them and monks don't.
Re: CMAN Riposte 02/01/2017 10:34 AM CST
IMO Mongoose and the other martial stances are considered advanced CMAN options. I dont think they should be widely available just like the advanced (major and professional) spells are not widely available. I definitely think the basic CMANs should continue to be available for all classes though. To be honest, the CMAN distribution and costs are probably due for an overhaul. Why dont monks get a brawling based stamina knockdown like twin hammerfist or even something like haymaker? I dont think warriors would be upset of monks had those too.

The shield specializations could definitely be opened up with the same logic. Start by adding Monks, limiting Shield Focus to Squares and dividing the remaining Shield Spec options so they are reasonable for Semis and Pures. Even if Semis and Pures only have access to a few shield specs they will atleast free up tons of CMAN points. IMO, Everyone should at a minimum have access to Shield Bash, Shield Charge and Phalanx and build from there as the professions increase in martial ability. While they are at it they can also tweak some of the lesser used shield specs to be slightly more attractive.

Also, they can add in new specs for the Squares similiar to armor support but only for shields. Increase block %, reduce weight, reduce CvA, Reduce AP tons of options really.
Re: CMAN Riposte 02/01/2017 01:12 PM CST
Bash, Charge, and Phalanx are the ones that I'm interested in anyway. :)
Re: CMAN Riposte 02/01/2017 01:38 PM CST
>Bash, Charge, and Phalanx are the ones that I'm interested in anyway. :)

Got a character that would love to have bash and charge. On top of those, he'd also be pretty happy to get his hands on shield strike.

-Drumpel
Re: CMAN Riposte 02/01/2017 07:41 PM CST
>Skill based systems vs. class based systems. GS was mostly a skill based system, but more and more class features have been grafted on.

This is just what I'm getting at. Any pure can pick up ranks in MOC and use it to MSTRIKE. It is expensive for them to do this, but they can. I'd suggest MSTRIKE is a maneuver, and it's on par with (or better than) most combat maneuvers at their highest tier. Having a pure use maneuvers is no less logical than a warrior who can cast spells. Foraging isn't just for rangers. Picking isn't just for rogues. UAC isn't just for monks (and rogues). They just do it better.

>CM ranks are expensive enough that pure spellcasters typically don't pick up many of them (due to opportunity cost, "I can sink a ton of points into this for one measly rank that doesn't do much on its own, OR I can pick up a half a spell rank")...

Just make it expensive enough that it's a gimmick build, and not anywhere near as useful as putting the points elsewhere. This allows the option, without impacting the time-honored min/max decision to train better stuff.
Re: CMAN Riposte 02/02/2017 04:46 PM CST
Yea, Kandor, history has gone full circle because I think GS was based on an RPG that was intentionally designed to be an alternative to class based systems (D&D being the classic example of a class based system).

But as modular systems have been bolted onto GS, presumably the GMs or committee who designed those systems took a page from class-based systems (e.g., liked D&D). Its not very cohesive, I guess its kind of charming though. Its certainly fun.

Back to CMAN specifically, single-class CMANs remain could single class to give the designers that option. However, CMANs that are not restricted to a single class could be open to everyone, albeit at a higher cost and/or a limit to the maximum rank (for instance a wizard can train in THW at a higher cost than a warrior AND can only train to 100 ranks, not 200. Bearhug is not a single-class CMAN (open to warriors and monks), so perhaps in a similar vein as THW perhaps the wizard would train in a bearhug and/or not be able to train rank 5).