Quality of footwear? 02/25/2016 01:13 PM CST
How does one get good footwear while learning?

I'm currently at 99 ranks and though I had a few good quality boots, I've been getting way more boots that are poor and I need some that are fine quality to progress (I've spent more than four hours on this rank alone since I've run through two full rentals and am on my third time renting). The quality of the footwear that comes out seems to be almost entirely random though, which is really annoying.

Is there actually anything I can do to improve the quality of the final product (e.g. does buying better pelts or having better pelts tanned improve the quality) or is it just a bunch of hidden roles?
Re: Quality of footwear? 02/25/2016 02:00 PM CST
Quality of your materials will vastly affect the quality of the final product. If you're trying to get a certain quality to show the foreman, I recommend that you invest in something from the cobbling shops either in Icemule, Landing, or Illistim as those materials are usually the best quality you can get.

If memory serves, also make certain to use a leather sole on your boots/shoes. Not having one also affects the quality of the shoe.

Good luck!

~Nia
Re: Quality of footwear? 02/26/2016 06:09 AM CST
Thanks for the tips!

I finally got past rank 99 and on to making slippers. Only... a lot more ranks to go.
Re: Quality of footwear? 02/27/2016 07:52 AM CST
The further on you get, the better the material quality has to be to give you a chance. I was using magnificent skins with top grade tanning for the final one at 200, but it doesn't have to be magnificent at the earlier stages.

You can use appraise to check how the quality varies through the process as well as the end product. It'll only be highly random if you are starting with materials of widely differing quality. If you are being limited by your skill rather than your materials, the randomness will only shift it a couple of grades.