Cleric spells for clerics 11/06/2016 06:55 AM CST

With the recent change to 520 - Mage armor being non-imbeddible because it's "a signature wizard spell" and the concern about "bot wizards" making imbeds for others to use I think it's time to talk about our signature defensive spell. For far too long our signature defensive spell 319 - Soul Ward has been used by everyone and their mother with impunity. Every pure worth their salt has a "bot cleric" to provide them with Soul Ward, and raise their characters for them but that's another discussion. I propose making 319 self-cast only, removing it from regularly available magic items and scrolls and removing the maneuver benefit for non-native casters. If you are tired of every wizard and their mother having a cleric bot imbuing 319 on s gem for them please voice your support loudly and often. It should only take 2 or 3 of us posting repeatedly and being rude to others to get this change made within 24 hours.

Rvain
Re: Cleric spells for clerics 11/06/2016 07:00 AM CST
Absolutely Rvain. Hell 520 is in a major circle while 319 is in a profession circle. If anything 319 (and 618) should have more protection than 520.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Keith is correct

Wyrom, APM

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Help%20for%20Players/Policy%20Discussions/view/246
Re: Cleric spells for clerics 11/06/2016 08:04 AM CST
How about making non-clerics pay spirit for it? Each attack successfully warded costs a spirit point. Clerics can manipulate spirit, but using your soul to ward attacks as a non-cleric ought to be perilous. Or just make it expire on success like Fasthr's or Blink do.

I haven't actually seen it activating much if at all on non-clerics since Estild changed the formula, but it is a bit easy for others to use something that is clearly cleric flavored.

Presumably the reason manoevers are singled out is that they are the only actions that it can provide protection against to a non-cleric? AS will miss tanked characters anyway and if a critter has enough CS to be an issue, it will have enough TD to ignore 319 on a non-cleric. (If a critter actually used UAC that could hit too)
Re: Cleric spells for clerics 11/06/2016 11:05 AM CST
>> For far too long our signature defensive spell 319 - Soul Ward has been used by everyone and their mother with impunity. I propose making 319 self-cast only, removing it from regularly available magic items and scrolls and removing the maneuver benefit for non-native casters.

Heh... I don't think I have ever used this spell on any of my characters other than my cleric. I'll have to check with mom to see if she's been using it behind my back though.

-- Robert

A powerful whirlpool is suddenly overtaken by a windy vortex!
Re: Cleric spells for clerics 11/06/2016 03:18 PM CST
Isn't 319 reliant on cleric CS for it to activate? Is it really useful on non-clerics?
Re: Cleric spells for clerics 11/06/2016 04:24 PM CST
Since I almost never group hunt and don't see what people do there, the only thing I can really say about this one is that I've never had anyone ask me or seen anyone ask another cleric to put Soul Ward in a gem. It's almost always Bravery or Prayer of Protection getting requested.