Morcheeba 01/25/2011 08:42 PM CST
Thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone is a fan of the band Morcheeba. They'll be in town Feb. 23rd at First Avenue.

I saw them about 5 years back and it one one of the best shows I've witnessed, and it was without their best known singer. Signs point to an even better show this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGDM4j9Wj0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FmognvrztU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp-ow8X138&feature=channel

/glitch

Cupcake is informing you that she wishes to have no further interaction with you OF ANY KIND! She desires that the two of you go your separate ways and have no further contact.

Strongest foe vanquished: The Legendary Chuck Norris
Re: Morcheeba 01/26/2011 05:31 PM CST
<<They'll be in town Feb. 23rd at First Avenue.>>

Uhm...which town?

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/GemStone-IV/60194690885
Re: Morcheeba 01/26/2011 06:14 PM CST
Lol, sorry. I forget there's more to the Central time zone that Minnesota (which is where they'll be).

They're also playing a decent amount of dates up and down the country if you're into them, hit up their website for the rest. :)

/glitch

Cupcake is informing you that she wishes to have no further interaction with you OF ANY KIND! She desires that the two of you go your separate ways and have no further contact.

Re: Morcheeba 01/26/2011 06:18 PM CST
Also, First Avenue = Purple Rain = Prince = Minnesota.

/glitch

Re: Morcheeba 01/26/2011 11:04 PM CST
Last act I saw there was G-Love and Special Sauce.

Kerl
Re: Morcheeba 01/27/2011 04:01 PM CST
Sheesh SIMU-SOLOMON, get with the program.
Re: Morcheeba 01/27/2011 10:07 PM CST
Feh! Iowa City is Central Time Zone too...

I saw G-love here a while ago, incidentally.

*Mohrgan's inner Mohrgan*
Re: Morcheeba 01/28/2011 09:28 AM CST
I like Iowa City. I go there quite often.
Re: Morcheeba 01/28/2011 04:10 PM CST
Iowa is hell on earth. I saw Metallica there on a Sunday night. City was dead. Strip club was worse. BYOB though! I just stole some from the dude next to me then gave him 4 dolla.
Re: Morcheeba 01/28/2011 05:42 PM CST
Growing up I never liked Iowa, but that was only because of all the Iowa tourists cluttering up my tourist town in Northern Minnesota. Of course as a kid I really had no idea; it was mostly just someone to make into the boogie man. As an adult, now that I've actually BEEN to Iowa, I rather like much of it: beautiful rolling hills, nice towns, and some great colleges.

Kerl
Re: Morcheeba 01/28/2011 09:23 PM CST

I go back and forth. Iowa City's okay but I wouldn't even consider living anywhere else in Iowa (grew up in the Quad Cities). I was living in Spain for several years but I came back because I got into med school at the U of Iowa (helped that I did undergrad there also and was technically in state still)...which is a great school.

I can't take this winter though...I'm from here and I just can't stand it. I'll be looking at residencies somewhere a bit more temperate, I think (if i graduate ;).

Iowa is gorgeous in the summer and spring and fall, however. Just too cold in the winter! And Minnesota winters, forget about it, though the north woods up in the Iron range in the summer is heaven on earth.

Kerl, I'll confess, I might be one of those Iowa "tourists" that bug you! I've been going up in the environs of Ely for 26 years in a row in the summer...but its more a second home to me than tourism. My favorite place on this planet is a small lake called "Mitchell" a few miles south of Ely.

*Mohrgan's inner voice*

Re: Morcheeba 01/28/2011 11:12 PM CST
I knew it! Dang Iowegians!

As for climate, we have a word for the climate in Iowa: mild.

Kerl
Re: Morcheeba 01/29/2011 08:58 AM CST
<<Last act I saw there was G-Love and Special Sauce.

Heh, when was that? Last time I heard about G-Love was a friend in high school, and that's going on a decade plus now.

Atmosphere just put on a killer show there recently (as always), other than that I haven't seen many shows since last summer. Everyone tends to shy away from the midwest in the winter-time... I can't imagine why.

Sounds like Naamit's going to be around the show as well. I can't promise you'd run into either of us there but it'll still be a great time.

/glitch

(Tylsar in prime)

Re: Morcheeba 01/30/2011 03:41 PM CST
\\
As for climate, we have a word for the climate in Iowa: mild.\\

And we have a word for people who live in the climate up near the Iron Range year around: Crazy!

If it helps at all, I've been going up to the North Woods since before it was cool (and before towns like Ely turned to the yuppie magnets that they are now), and I view those kinds of tourists with scorn, also.

*Mohrgan's inner voice*
Re: Morcheeba 02/12/2011 11:47 PM CST
>>Last act I saw there was G-Love and Special Sauce.
Kerl

I caught G. Love at The Quest. I'd have to say they are one of my more favorite bands to see play live.

As for folks in the Twin Cities; I've got a buddy that plays around town. The band name is "Cwn Annwn". It's been a while since I've seen them play, but they get around from First Ave from time to time, 4th St Station (if it's still called that), Uptown Bar and a couple other joints around the metro. They also hit up Mankato, La Cross, Eau Claire and such spots, too.
Re: Morcheeba 02/13/2011 03:43 PM CST
YEAH MINNEAPOLIS!!!
Re: Morcheeba 02/15/2011 03:06 PM CST
I currently live in Iowa... Blech. I'm from Virginia originally and am not a fan of this state at all. Blech again!
Re: Morcheeba 02/15/2011 04:13 PM CST
Depends where in Iowa you are. In general, this formula works:

Iowa City = Weird bubble of culture, tolerable.

Rest of Iowa = pretty nature (but nothing awesome like Colorado, Northern Minnesota or...the Mediterranean coast of Spain), nice people, but the pace is too slow, pretty much intolerable to live in.

Iowans are super nice, in general, but speaking as an Iowan, I would never even consider living anywhere other than Iowa City in this state (originally from the Quad Cities, which is basically your standard post-industrial river bank wasteland). I mean, if calm, quiet and unchanging are your thing, Iowa's great. I happen to find that kind of boring.

Iowa City at least has some element of action and movement, to it (though after leaving for a few years and returning, it seems a lot smaller than it used to).

Seriously though, go Hawkeyes.

*Mohrgan's inner Hawkeye*
Re: Morcheeba 02/15/2011 04:30 PM CST
The other thing that makes Iowa (and by extension, Iowans) better than those self-aggrandizing coastal states is this:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-april-6-2009/queer-eye-for-the-hawkeye

If Jon Stewart said it, it must be true.

(take that coastal states...I'm looking at you Virginia)

(also, go Hawkeyes)

*Mohrgan's inner progressive*

Re: Morcheeba 02/15/2011 08:31 PM CST
Plus, they make the best proscuitto anywhere.

I like much of Iowa, well, any of the parts that are hilly are nice anyway.

Kerl