Explosions at the Boston Marathon 04/15/2013 04:11 PM CDT
For those of you who may not have heard, there has been explosions at and around the Boston Marathon. My heart goes out to everyone there and I truly wish you and your loved ones the best. Please make sure anyone with friends/family in the area is aware and makes sure everyone is alright.
Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon 04/15/2013 08:52 PM CDT
This is such a tragedy not only for those who lost their lives, and their loved ones, but for those who lost limbs. I've read about as many as 30 people missing one or both ankles or legs, maybe more. Horrifying.

I've been training for the Nike Women's Marathon Half in Washington D.C. It's only two weeks away (on April 28). It's not as big as the Boston Marathon, obviously, but it's still a pretty big deal. As a runner, I can hardly imagine the incredible heartbreak of accomplishing such a monumental life achievement, only to lose your legs in a blast shortly after crossing the finish line. What a nightmare.

I'm still planning on running on the 28th. We can never stop living life, or they--whoever "they" may be today--have truly defeated us. I'll be much more worried about family and friends waiting at the finish line, honestly. After today, though, I expect security will be pretty tight here in D.C. It'll be a different experience after today, no doubt, and I'll be more than a little wary. But I will cross that finish line.

I admit, though, I might not linger around as much as I might have.

~ Heather (player of Heathyr and others)