Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/14/2018 09:51 PM CDT
I'd like to see Unravel (1013) work on killed critters past a certain level or ML:Manip rank. Manipulating the floes to capture the last remaining threads of mana as they swirl away from the dead, if you will.

As it stands right now, it's useless at higher levels as nearly all critters are wearing spells; stripping them off before you can get mana back is not economical. While we CAN pull mana from wands, there's not enough wands (or capacity) to make it useful, much less take the time to stop and unravel a sack-full mid hunt.

Thanks!
Naamit
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/14/2018 10:01 PM CDT
- Could always remove the "50% loss" hard cap currently in place...

- Or give a base percentage chance, trainable to increase, to just "luck out" and hit the juicy mana core without having to go through the spells. Hmmm... I'm thinking that "+1% chance per rank of MC:Mental over 24" sounds pretty good as a trained bonus, adding to the 10-20% normal base chance to which I refer...

- Or remove the additional set of randomness for "how much gets taken", since there's already a random result involved in successful casts anyhow (the d100 roll for the warding check)...

- Or implement a Mass version at some Lore breakpoint (ML:Telepathy ranks?) that would work on all enemies in the room at once...

As a side-note: do you really go through multiple wands at a time? With a decent [fresh, Duplicated blue or crystal] wand, I usually pay out 17 (cast + 1 renew) or some times as much as 21, and get back 40-80 (depending on the wand) between those. That's enough to power a Tonis if I need it, or several Disrupts, and generally can tide me over until I can track down a solo critter that's worth draining, or force a Mana Pulse.

(Regarding the 'mana pulse'... did you also stop at 24 ranks/102 skill of MC:Mental?)
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/14/2018 11:34 PM CDT
For cap.

OTF critters to unravel for mana, ithzir scouts and janissaries, constructs after their barrier has fallen.

Nelemar critters to unravel for mana, defenders, combatants, executioners.

Rift creatures to unravel (plane 4 and scatter) none :(. In a pinch masters, siphons, csets give mana back after taking all their spells. PITA but possible.

Sanctum creatures to unravel for mana. Lurks, Monstrosities.

Confluence...none the place is horrible for this.

Warcamps, any of the warriors rogue types.

1013 also helps versus some of the most annoying things in the game 607 in nelemar, 413 in OTF,

Now I would love some more utility out of this spell (especially a get mana threshold of some sort through lores/end roll) but this spell is still very useful to my hunting style even at x2 HP.

GBB
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/15/2018 08:59 AM CDT
Funny you should say that about the Confluence: everything in there looks like an Elemental, and I've been using the Greater Earth Elementals in the Thanatoph Bowels as one of my staple sources of mana.
(They only very infrequently have even only a single spell on, which means they are reliable sources for easy access to ~41-45 mana. (Which means they actually contain to about 90, see previous research.) Any Unravel where I get >32 in the initial cast, I just stop there and don't even bother with a renewal.)

"Roughly 40" was also what the Treekin Warriors had in the Red Forest, and has been pretty much a target minimum number for me since the Sheruvian Monastery.
(+40 mana, even minus 13 for Unravel and 4 more for a renewal == +23 net, goes a whole lot further when you're only 40th level with 150 mana--and a field pulse is, itself, only +23...--than it does when you've got a much greater mana pool. But +23 usable mana is still +23 usable mana.)

Are the Confluence elementals significantly worse?

With that said, I have to confess that I lurve me some Greater Krynch's, though: maybe 20% of the time they have no spells, another 20% or so only 1, maybe 50% of the time wearing 2, and the remaining 10% of the time 3.
Even so, that's only 13+4+4==21 loss, and they easily have 80-95 available to be pulled out.
If I get lucky they have no spells and I get pulls of 33, 35, and 20, or over sixty usable mana.
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/15/2018 10:10 AM CDT
Confluence elementals are spelled to the gills. The scout and jannisary route didn't work very well for me at 55 ranks of MMC; I was only able to net 25-30 mana per critter.

Stats:
101 Bard Ranks
55 MMC

Naamit currently has 103 in Harness Power. By the time she has 2x HP and undoubtedly more MMC to match, being short on mana won't be as much of an issue and the need for the spell diminishes significantly.

Thus, the suggestion I made. :>
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/15/2018 04:46 PM CDT
OK, I have lots more training than 18 months ago in the relevant skills for Unravel.

And it still seems like so much work, and mana, for not much return.

Is this how leeching works for wizards? I know wizards use it a lot, and I cannot imagine I have less patience than wizards...

I think my nervestaff actually ended up flaring up for more mana than unravel brings me. :(

Or do I need a Unravel For Dummies guide? I honestly don't see the allure of it in combat.

Currently: 101 bard songs, 58 Mental Mana control.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/15/2018 05:14 PM CDT

No it isn't how it works for wizards at all. At cap there is no way bards will ever match the awesomeness of 504 the room putting everything in 3-5 seconds of rt, using 916 when needed with 1sec cast rt, and then destroying (albeit by attrition damage often) whatever you want before ewaving/tremor tap for no rt/912 and continuing on and on.

I am pretty sure I used to get 40 mana from scouts and jans and 50 from constructs even with 55 bard songs and 40 mental mana share. Yes it is slower and tedious but...we use so much mana that it comes in handy.

I forgot in nelemar learn sprite TDs when you find one with low spells yoink em for 100-150 mana.

Most areas 85+ seem to have a critter that is good for 1013...if never as great as 516 is for wizards.

GBB
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/15/2018 05:14 PM CDT

No it isn't how it works for wizards at all. At cap there is no way bards will ever match the awesomeness of 504 the room putting everything in 3-5 seconds of rt, using 916 when needed with 1sec cast rt, and then destroying (albeit by attrition damage often) whatever you want before ewaving/tremor tap for no rt/912 and continuing on and on.

I am pretty sure I used to get 40 mana from scouts and jans and 50 from constructs even with 55 bard songs and 40 mental mana share. Yes it is slower and tedious but...we use so much mana that it comes in handy.

I forgot in nelemar learn sprite TDs when you find one with low spells yoink em for 100-150 mana.

Most areas 85+ seem to have a critter that is good for 1013...if never as great as 516 is for wizards.

GBB
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/15/2018 05:16 PM CDT

meant 516 not 916.

gbb
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/16/2018 08:24 AM CDT
"there is no way bards will ever match the awesomeness of 504 the room putting everything in 3-5 seconds of rt" -- GalenBlackBard

I will note for the record that--during the ELR, when it happened not just to Slow but also to (Spirit Realm?!? WTH?!?!) That Paladin Spell--I have asked for exactly the same capability of "instant RT" to be added to Depression, which is significantly higher in level than either of those others.
AND ALSO / OR for a mass-version of Rage (which apparently gives RT when it hits) to be provided, now that we have Spell Ranks/Lore levels to open up the 'evoke' function (of mass-use-of-single-target-spells/single-target-version-of-mass-spells) set up as a sytem.

I'm not sure whether they would want to put the "give instant-RT" on the same spell (Depression) that adds RT (though I don't know why that would be an issue, since that is precisely how Slow works...), but by giving them the option to split the effect (RT-now on Rage, add-RT on Depression) it may be more likely to come to pass. <shrug>

Consider this--as well as my previous posts--an open invitation for OTHER bards to also beat that drum in support....
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/16/2018 11:23 AM CDT

Considering that depression used to be an exact copy of 504 slow effects + 413 (ie I am 99percent positive you can't stack either spell on top of depression) I don't see why instant RT wouldn't be offered with 1015. That wasn't the point of bards not being able to match a wizards 504...the key is what a wizard can do casting after 504 with rapid fire. I find it an amazing combo suited to almost every encounter with an unstunnable/immune to ewave etc creature.

GBB
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/16/2018 01:00 PM CDT
Saturation and Depression is absolutely okay; one is -20 + Air lore, the other is -25 + Fire lore.

As a tangent from the Unravel discussion: I still feel that any spell that gives a penalty to TD like these, should benefit from their own effect when being cast (so Depression would be facing a TD 20 lower, Saturation would be cast at -25 TD... I would probably even be willing to settle for just the base benefit [no lore]).
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/18/2018 11:34 AM CDT
GBB
...the key is what a wizard can do casting after 504 with rapid fire...

That shouldn't be possible. The intended purpose was to make casting 504 a net zero action, resulting in no loss time for performing the action, not as a means to allow additional actions.

GameMaster Estild
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/18/2018 04:56 PM CDT
"That shouldn't be possible. The intended purpose was to make casting 504 a net zero action, resulting in no loss time for performing the action, not as a means to allow additional actions.

GameMaster Estild"

I do not know what to tell you. A net zero action is what it is for most of the game. Much like feint is until you start using it with tonis.

You are the boss and all that but allow me my two cents? The whole point of adding rt to creatures is to allow you to kill them before they kill you. There are plenty of creatures that 504 serves where 410/912/909 don't work. Much like bards have to use 1 second cman feints with tonis then 1-2 second tonis aided attacks to kill creatures immune to 410 before they turn around and kill us. If the combination was never intended were we just supposed to die when hunting those creatures that much more often? Why is one good but not the other? If neither is good then just call me frustrated and disappointed yet again with what I see as a needless nerf bat.

GBB
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/18/2018 11:17 PM CDT
Put it like this:
- Feint is available to all professions;
- the ELR gave "add instant RT" capability both to Slow and (Spirit Realm? WTH?!?) That Paladin Spell which already made their opponents have added RT (yet somehow managed to skip right over the [significantly higher level] BardSong that did the same thing]); and
- Celerity, Haste, and Tonis all let the users act faster than RT-normal for physical actions.
- (And Wizards luck into RapidFire, for cast-RT, too.)

Exactly what net result did you guys THINK was going to happen? "We give you RT, when you do get to move it takes you longer in between, and since we move faster--and get to act immediately, from RapidFire--we now proceed to kill you."

RT is a goal, in and of itself. (There are some of the results from Illoke jarls where I'm stunned for only one round... but the RT clock is significantly longer.) You've already essentially disabled "get a stun" as a goal, because many/most things shake them off. Having a creature in RT means the same thing a stun used to: you are NOT going to be attacked by it, so you have time to <do something>.
Re: Make Unravel (1013) useful! 08/20/2018 07:49 PM CDT
Here's another proposition: How about make 1013 have a spell stealing option with enough [insert requisite training here]? This would allow the bard to steal a prepared spell of a character or creature and then cast it themselves.