1004 Purification 12/01/2017 10:14 AM CST
Morning all. Quick question regarding 1004.

In general terms, at about what point is purifying gems effective if you're aiming to make orb gems? I've been kicking around the idea of starting a bard and training him from the ground up with manipulation lore to improve my chances with purify. I'm just curious at about what level one could expect to have reasonable success purifying orb gems consistently. I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to really getting a new character up there in level, so I'm really trying to get an idea if trying to purify orbs at around level 20 is feasible with the right training.

I've read through most of the documentation I can find, but ultimately I'm just looking for an experienced perspective.

Thanks!
Re: 1004 Purification 12/01/2017 10:28 AM CST

>In general terms, at about what point is purifying gems effective if you're aiming to make orb gems?

mine is upper 50s and does very well, so somewhere below that?

if you don't have a lot of time and just need orb gems, I have a ton sorted by value. feel free to email my play.net.
Re: 1004 Purification 12/01/2017 10:59 AM CST
I was getting about an 80% rate of not blowing up gems starting in my 60's with ... 15 or 20 or so manipulation lore. Remember, though, not every gem which does not blow up on you actually wants to become an orb.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
;tune towncrier

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
TownCrier News Dailies via Email: http://bit.ly/2ivAJfw
Re: 1004 Purification 12/01/2017 11:06 AM CST
Orbs "just happen".
I've had some trigger on the very first cast--which is annoying with diamonds & emeralds, because then they're still worth only ~4-5k ballpark--and I've had some take a dozen "glows luminously" (safest step) casts, and then on the first "hums in response" it turns into an orb. <shrug>

I started generating them on a regular basis in the high-20s, with a dozen ranks of ML:Manipulation; I am now seeing them on a frequent basis, @ 78th with 54 ranks.
I typically do a singing session when I get to about a dozen gems and 3 or more wands (I bring in the Wizard to Duplicate the Wands before pawning them), and most sessions I will orb at least one gem (smallest things I sing to are pearls, black opals, pink & blue sapphires, and any 'uncut' gems).
So for me, I would say "in the 8-15% of the time" range.

Gain levels. Train Songs. Pick up ML:Manipulation ranks. Tons Of Orbs.
Re: 1004 Purification 12/01/2017 11:10 AM CST
In the mid 40s with 1x lore its roughly 50:50 on blowing up a gem or purifying it to the maximum for me. However, there's a decent chance of orbing at lower values and if you don't push it beyond your limit (which is about two songs below max value for me now) you'll only blow up on fumbles.

If you've got an outside source of mana and plenty of gems you can get plenty of orbs at level 20, but its likely to get frustrating if you are relying on your own mana and gems.
Re: 1004 Purification 12/01/2017 11:41 AM CST
I agree: in the 20s, the limiting factor was mana. Nowadays, it takes a giant sackful of gems (like "running through a Spire cube"...) to have "mana used" more than offset "mana from pulse".

What I used to do was all the Purifications (and LoreSinging, for items) while sitting around absorbing. Most of those pulses were wasted mana going into a full head, anyhow, so why not?
Now, with offline absorption, I tend to try to do all of that when I login in the mornings (head clear, so "time spent" just sitting around doesn't impact Lumnis) before heading out to get a headful, or in the evenings after getting home from the office (and that morning headful is now absorbed, so head clear again).
Re: 1004 Purification 12/03/2017 02:25 AM CST

Make sure to read the article carefully, couple highlights and then a comment:
- How far the bard can purify the gem to its maximum value is determined by spellsong ranks
- Training in Mental Lore, Manipulation reduces the chance of failure when purifying a gem by 3% per seed 1 summation of ranks

Bard ranks give you more money for all gems you sing to. I think thats what you should be shooting for. Lore ranks is only a modest chance to avoid an explosion when you come across one. For instance, if a bard with no lore has a 1% chance of explosion each attempt, a bard with say 20 ish ranks of lore might have a 0.8% chance of explosion at each attempt.

So if you want to specializing in loresinging, do 2x spell research for bard ranks. You can do maybe 10 ranks of lore but I dont think you really need it.
Re: 1004 Purification 12/04/2017 07:01 AM CST
This thread made me re-think whether or not to sing that second verse when I wind up orbing a gem. (I have been stopping after determining if the value was high enough for me to want to keep for Chrism.) And in the first couple of gems I wound up seeing one of the strings I already had highlighted.

Which leads me to ask: is the Wiki page correct in that bottom-most section? Because that means that it is possible to turn a raw gem into not just an orb, but a Mage Rechargeable?
https://gswiki.play.net/Pure_gem
Re: 1004 Purification 12/04/2017 09:11 AM CST
"that means that it is possible to turn a raw gem into not just an orb, but a Mage Rechargeable?" -- Me

(And I ask, because I just did this over the weekend. I went back and confirmed the LoreSong results of verse2 this morning, and I still have the extra sentence at the end/same highlight showing up still.)

Looks like Konacon answered about the effects of Lore back in 2015...

Can any GMs comment with additional information on:
- It is/is not possible to create not just an orb, but a MR gem. (Expected: True. If 'False', then I have a BugItem for you in my locker that says otherwise...)
- Songs affect the likelihood of this happening, in addition to raising the ceiling of reachable value. (True/False)
- ML:Manipulation ranks affect the likelihood of this happening, in addition to lowering the likelihood of explosion. (True/False)
- BOTH trainable skills affect the likelihood of this happening, in spite my suspicions. (True/False; with bonus points for telling us the order of importance and whether or not ranks-over-level are counted at all, or counted at lesser value, or whatever.)