Runestaff Flares on 1030 renewal 08/21/2017 06:19 PM CDT
Is this not supposed to happen? Cause I am not seeing the flares on renewals at all.

GBB
Re: Runestaff Flares on 1030 renewal 08/21/2017 09:32 PM CDT
The use of the verb 'renew' will not cause a runestaff to flare. Ever. I have commented on this in depth in this same topic, see messages #667 & #733. I have also bugged it in-game, and encouraged Bards to do the same several times.

Basically, you HAVE TO use 'prep/cast' in order to get runestaff flares. (I never got into the 'target orc/incant' methodology, so I have never tested that. Incant may cause runestaves to flare, but I have no direct knowledge.) None of our spells currently use 'evoke', so I haven't been able to check that, either.

Since Unravel & Rage are both single-target anyhow, they can definitely get runestaff flares when you start them, however they will of course never flare on the renewals. And of course, Disruption at a single target. But you have to use prep/cast.
Yes, this means that once I have started Disruption on a single target, I continue to prep/cast at it in order get the chance at triggering the flares, rather than merely using the one-line command 'renew'.

Note that I have recently been encouraging the GMs to implement 'evoke' for BardSongs, so that multi-target spells can be used against only a single, and so that single-target spells could be used against multi. (Holding Song/1001 is a natural for this, since it started as two [one single, one multi] spell anyhow.) See #627, 778, & 860.

Now, with all of that said, I have noticed something interesting with mana flares. Apparently they are unique among flares, inasmuch as they will not only flare for defensive spells (GuardII/406, for example), and utility spells (Purification/1004)... but they will ALSO flare--unlike everything else in the game--for AoE spells. Yes, I have gotten a mana flare from a runestaff with open-cast (mass effect) Disruption...
...but, as noted above, ONLY on the prep/cast. Not a renewal.
Re: Runestaff Flares on 1030 renewal 08/21/2017 09:42 PM CDT
"(I never got into the 'target orc/incant' methodology, so I have never tested that. Incant may cause runestaves to flare, but I have no direct knowledge.)-krakii"

incant 1030 has runestaff flares.

"The use of the verb 'renew' will not cause a runestaff to flare. Ever. I have commented on this in depth in this same topic, see messages #667 & #733. I have also bugged it in-game, and encouraged Bards to do the same several times.-krakii"

No official word from a GM? I would like to understand the reasoning for renew 1030 to not cause a flare even if its just so I can argue for it :)

GBB
Re: Runestaff Flares on 1030 renewal 08/21/2017 09:44 PM CDT
Not just 1030. NOTHING with that verb. (I'm a huge fan & user of 'renew unravel\r', and Depression... but that's a mass-spell anyhow.)

Quick question for you, Galen, if you don't mind: are you trained in 2Handers, and happen to be carrying a runestaff as a 2-hand weapon? Or are you using magic ranks/level? Just curious. :)
Re: Runestaff Flares on 1030 renewal 08/22/2017 03:59 AM CDT
I am counting on magic ranks and level for my DS. I have a good amount of it and a ton of dodge. My bow is currently with a friend so I figured to give runestaff a go and that is why I saw the problem with flares and renew 1030. I would argue for flare on that before I would argue for a flare on an open renew of 1030, or any other open renew. So 1013 renew would still fit a flare release in my opinion (and that would be problematical if it killed things before you drained it of mana.)

GBB
Re: Runestaff Flares on 1030 renewal 08/22/2017 07:05 AM CDT
It's been ages since I used Lullabye/1005, but I certainly hope that a) it can cause a runestaff flare, and b) that--as I said previously--the flare happens before the creature goes to sleep... :)

I totally agree that getting the 'renew' verb to trigger the check for runestaff flares is most important. I was not arguing that open-Disrupt should flare (it's an AoE spell, after all), merely pointing out something nifty about mana flares, which apparently ARE willing to flare for AoE spells in defiance of all stated policy regarding area spells. (See the 950 release discussion down in 'Wizards'.)