possible BUG: Unravel/1013, not always 13 mana? 12/01/2016 09:36 AM CST
I have noticed recently that the variable mana costs--which I usually see in the renewal (being 5 or 8 or whatever, instead of only 4) for higher-level and/or out-of-Realm spells--apparently affect the initial casting cost, as well...

...including happening in the Bard's favor.

I don't recall what the Stone Trolls/55th in Thanatoph wear, but I think it's a Ranger spell. And when I hit them with Unravel, on the initial cast, some times I see that it costs only NINE (9) mana to start.

My assumption is that it's determining there to be a +5 mana penalty to the renewal cost (normally 4). But then it turns around and only charges me the 9 mana, rather than 13 that I expect for the initial cast.

Again, I'm not complaining about it, I just want to know if it's intended or what. Normally, you can't ever cast a spell for less than its listed cost (and Renewals don't count, because you HAVE already paid the list price to start it).
Re: possible BUG: Unravel/1013, not always 13 mana? 12/01/2016 01:35 PM CST
KRAKII
I have noticed recently that the variable mana costs--which I usually see in the renewal (being 5 or 8 or whatever, instead of only 4) for higher-level and/or out-of-Realm spells--apparently affect the initial casting cost, as well...

It probably is a bug, but it's been that way for at least the last 10 years, and other dispels also have the mana reduction built-in, so I'll consider it at feature at this point.

GameMaster Estild
Re: possible BUG: Unravel/1013, not always 13 mana? 12/01/2016 01:41 PM CST
Sold!
Re: possible BUG: Unravel/1013, not always 13 mana? 07/20/2018 10:54 AM CDT
"It probably is a bug, but it's been that way for at least the last 10 years, and other dispels also have the mana reduction built-in, so I'll consider it at feature at this point." -- Estild, two years ago

Since I happened to run across this recently while looking at something else entirely...

"4. The mana cost for initiating untargetted Unravelling is now based on the spell being Unravelled, if applicable." -- Warden, changes to Unravel, 30 Mar 2002
https://gswiki.play.net/Bard_Base/saved_posts#Unravel

So, design intent. <nod>