If they made the guild work... 07/18/2015 09:14 AM CDT
Been back for a month or so now, and still seeing that our Guilds are nothing more than dusty, musty, pieces of forgotten dreams, and broken promises.
I realize that Bards have grown from the forgotten, almost deleted, profession back in the '90s, to our glory, now. And yes. I do feel that we are truly glorious, and feared, now! And for that reason, I think the "Powers That Be," have lacked, and are lacking, motivation to do any more for us. BUT! That does not mean we have to sit back on our <cough> laurels and not ask that our Guild be made into something more than an empty shell!
So, I ask you, Bards of Elanthia, if the Guild were made active, what would you like to see us do? Remember, we probably will NOT get anything enhansive. Nothing to help us in the hunts. They already fear we are over-powered.

My ideas, so far, just off the top of my head:

Special verbs that visually enhance loresinging. Like instead of seeing the item react to our singing in the set manner we do now, it shows the item leaving our hand, spinning slowly in front of our eyes giving us a better view of it. Or it reacts violently, trying to keep it's secrets buried within it!

Perhaps being able to add colors, or visual effects to our sonic weapons, shields, armor. I, for one, would love to be able to sing up a purple falchion that left a trail of violet petals with each swing!

What are your ideas?

Dremerie Chillchaser,
The Purple Bard

True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of
all that is, has been, will be, and will not be....

"Life's not about surviving the storm, but about learning to dance in the rain."
Re: If they made the guild work... 07/18/2015 10:16 AM CDT
I think something that would be great for guild skill is to automatically stop singing song of noise before renewel or make it not renew except by manual. Do something to allow the mechanic to be less troublesome. It could stop singing the song and after renewel send a message that you sense it is safe sing it again.
Another good idea would be a guild skill to find out the exact number of mana required for singing too many songs. The formula may be complicated but the program computes the exact number. In the beginning you would only have rough idea but eventually you will know the exact.

I do like the idea of adding color effects to our weapons.
Re: If they made the guild work... 07/18/2015 10:32 AM CDT
They said at a Simucon that all development for the guilds have been halted as they felt the amount of effort that it required from a Dev team standpoint was better spent elsewhere.

But really, we can still dream!

If I could wish for one guild skill it would be the ability to learn the written languages of other races. Even if we were limited to those closely related to our own. A close second would be instrument crafting that included some kind of small mechanical benefit, such as an additional 3% chance for success with 1020 that could remove part of the built in fumble chance.

Tal.
Re: If they made the guild work... 07/18/2015 11:12 AM CDT
If they made the guild work...

I'd like bards to be able to learn additional languages maybe 3 total, either written or spoken.

I'd like bards to be able to learn lore through the guild, we are lore masters an everyone else has innate abilities.

I'd like bards to be able to learn to make jewelry, possibly with temporary enhancive properties once mastered, other professions have temp enhancive abilities.

I'd like bards to be able to learn showmanship, which should included, juggling/sleight of hand, working the crowd(pickpocketing bonus), props like smoke bombs that make you disappear, and finally costumes/disguises at mastery.

Archales
Re: If they made the guild work... 03/14/2016 05:03 PM CDT

... clothing sewing. And costumes!

... Naming weapons for people.
Re: If they made the guild work... 06/06/2018 11:48 AM CDT
Just some noodling off the top of my head, in hopes that this might spark some GM interest to get the Bard Guild moving with some skills!
I looked for skills that wouldn't take much to implement, in order to facilitate their creation.
Fellow Bards, let me know what you think.

Proposed Bard Guild Skills:

1. Advanced Loresinging
Able to read amount of W/P/S on an item (Weighting/Padding/Sighting)
[implement difficulty - moderate - add to loresinging]

2. Lock vibration attunement
Boost Lock training by 25% (i.e. 2x training would be equal to 2.5x)
[implement difficulty - moderate - add to Picking Locks as enhancive perhaps]

3. General Alchemy
with Bard Potions (minor elemental only)
[implement difficulty - easy - already have pieces in place]

4. Bard Entertainment
A. Juggle - same as Warrior guild skill (non-weapons?).
B. Guzzle - same as Warrior guild skill.
C. Feint - same as Warrior guild skill.
D. Tumble - same as Rogue Gambit guild skill.
E. Cartwheel - same as Rogue Gambit guild skill.
F. Flip - same as Rogue Gambit guild skill.
G. Instrument Tricks - variant of Dagger Tricks (Rogue Gambit).
[implement difficulty - easy/moderate - Only Instrument Tricks requires new code]

5. Cheapshots
Same as Rogue guild skill.

6. Sweep
Same as Rogue guild skill.

Thanks.
Re: If they made the guild work... 06/06/2018 01:30 PM CDT
I'd love to see costuming be a guild skill!

Maybe we could have some kind of guild boon that would help that target on our back when something casts magic at us. I guess it may be mostly spirit magic ... but there's a lot of that to go around.

I think it would be wonderful if a bard could give a name to a weapon/gear item with a special loresong.

Language skills seem like they'd be perfect for bards.

And special performing commands would be the icing on the cake!

... I mean, while we're dreaming :)

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews