Bard alterations for the rest of us? 12/30/2013 04:40 PM CST
GMs, NIR,

Are sonic alterations going exclusive to FWI for the forseeable future, or will regular Prime accounts see some hope in 2014?

Since Onetta stated she wasn't going to do them anymore after some in-game complaints, the last two were both in FWI. Unless I missed one, tomorrow's is the third in a row on FWI. I had hoped that Onetta's departure was an in-game reaction and temporary... but hasn't been seen since.

Clefford has just set up a raffle for a sonic alteration in the Bard Guild, Courtyard on Four Winds Isle. Tickets cost 25,000 silvers. It draws around eleven-thirty in the morning as the elves tell time on Tilamaires, the 31st day of Eorgaen.

IIRC (and it's possible I may not), the aforementioned complainer was at an FWI raffle, too.

Morden, player of a bard, too.
Re: Bard alterations for the rest of us? 12/30/2013 08:28 PM CST
Who complained and what about? Not winning, I'm guessing?
Re: Bard alterations for the rest of us? 12/30/2013 08:42 PM CST
It was indeed about not winning. It was the October raffle on FWI, and Onetta flat out said she was done offering them. And she hasn't since.
Re: Bard alterations for the rest of us? 12/31/2013 01:51 PM CST
>It was indeed about not winning. It was the October raffle on FWI, and Onetta flat out said she was done offering them. And she hasn't since.

Did I correctly remember that all raffles since have also been FWI?

If a GM wants to stop offering a service, I suppose that's their prerogative. I'm surprised that one loud complainer would be the reason, but perhaps that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

What I don't understand is that the service has been offered since by other GMs, yet prime accounts are being punished. Why?

Morden, player of.
Re: Bard alterations for the rest of us? 12/31/2013 03:17 PM CST
"prime accounts are being punished." -- Morden

To this day, I remain a staunch advocate of the point that if the pricing tiers were named "Economy" and "Standard" (instead of 'Prime' and 'Premium') then this would be a non-issue.

By: KRAKII
Re: The official "Change the subscription name" thread--support it here
on: 6/25/2004
at: 11:55:23 AM
##: 9294

I said it nearly seven years ago, and repeated it (at volume, and at length) over the intervening period.

There should be two (now, three, with Platinum) subscription levels:
Standard: Full Access To All Game Features account. Ten characters and their lockers, with a locker in every town. Allowed into all player-accessible areas of the game.
No-Frills: Bargain Basement All-You-Care-To-Play No-Frills Just-The-Basics-Thanks Account subscription. The normal account trimmed down to only one character, with limited locker capability. Full access to all races and all professions, but only one of them at a time. Not allowed into certain areas.

It's a matter of perception. Change the perception.

Note that the "me too!" re-post (in support of my own idea) references "seven years ago" and discussion over the intervening time period... and THAT was nine years ago. <snort>

By: KENDER01
Re: The official "Change the subscription name" thread--support it here
on: 6/25/2004
at: 2:00:32 PM
##: 9316

You know, when this idea first came up, I thought that Robert was being a bit pessimistic, that the people who play Gemstone weren't dunderheaded enough to need the reinforcement that the suggested naming conventions would provide.

However, after having listened to this same discussion over and over and over and over and over (did I mention and over?) again, I'm beginning to accept that he's a much better judge of character than I am. It's sad to say, because I'd like to think that the particular mindset that it takes to play a text based game over a graphics based game would indicate a certain level of judgement ability and maturity. Of course, it does explain a lot about the changes that have happened within the Gemstone community itself.

I understand the reasons the basic subscribers are listing, and I understand that the price increase is a hardship for many of them, and that they feel that maybe they should get more for their money. Unfortunately, prices are up everywhere, and this is still a heck of a lot cheaper than when we had to pay hourly rates for it.

So... what do the PTB have to say about renaming the subscriptions? I really am starting to believe that it'd make a heck of a difference in how people perceive their level of service and value.

Just for God's sake please don't get mad at everyone and go back to an hourly rate. :)

Laura
Re: Bard alterations for the rest of us? 12/31/2013 06:58 PM CST
Krakii,

I'm not sure what your point is, especially regarding this topic.

I hesitated to mention it so as to not muddy the waters already, but I am, yes, a premium customer. However, I also have an account with a bard that is prime.

Yes, there are services that are designated premium only: Xerria's unlocking, premium raffles, etc. Those are open to premium customers in general.

However, sonic alterations, along with animal companion grooming and sorcerer rune teachings, are character services. I can think of no other service that is restricted entirely to premium accounts (accounts, not customers). Premium accounts may have more frequent access (double the opportunity, for example), but no character services are restricted wholly to Premium subscribers.

With the change in GMs providing sonic alterations, we appear to be heading down that path. It may be unintended... that the last several GM (or GMs) who provided the service just happened to pick FWI first and didn't coordinate with each other.

If unintended, and I hope that it is, let's get some attention back to Prime accounts (who are often Premium customers)

If intended... state it up front, please.

Morden, player of.
Re: Bard alterations for the rest of us? 12/31/2013 07:11 PM CST
<<If unintended, and I hope that it is, let's get some attention back to Prime accounts (who are often Premium customers)>>

There is no slight intended. January's raffle will be in a location that every bard, whether a basic account or premium, will have access to.

~Zoelle~
Re: Bard alterations for the rest of us? 12/31/2013 10:45 PM CST

Thanks!