Any advice? 08/31/2013 02:55 PM CDT
Level 62 at the moment. Trying to get my CM fully singled, beyond that I need to get some manipulation in I think, how much air lore do I need?

Armor Use..........................| 160 60
Combat Maneuvers...................| 157 57
Polearm Weapons....................| 228 128
Physical Fitness...................| 164 64
Dodging............................| 166 66
Magic Item Use.....................| 25 5
Harness Power......................| 164 64
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 96 22
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 142 42
Perception.........................| 124 32
Climbing...........................| 124 32
Swimming...........................| 124 32

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 25

Spell Lists
Bard...............................| 49
Re: Any advice? 08/31/2013 03:10 PM CDT

Well the thresholds for tonis RT would be at 30 and 75 ranks for -1 and -2 seconds off your RT. Ranks inbetween also help with sonics and dodge ranks of tonis..but those thresholds are motivating targets. You're more than 1x in spells..so the question is are you trying to be more of a pure or do want to be a whirlwind of melee destruction? If you use sonic weapon then I'd suggest you get 1 more bard spellsong to max out your sonic weapon..and then consider skipping spells for a few levels if you need the TPs for something else.

Would need to know about your character and your preferences to suggest anything further.

Lochiven
Re: Any advice? 09/03/2013 08:19 AM CDT
Every Bard should have 15 ranks of Manipulation Lore at 30th level, and every Bard should learn Disruption at 30th level; it's that good. They may choose not to use it, but it really is all that and a sack of chips.

"I'd suggest you get 1 more bard spellsong to max out your sonic weapon." -- Lochiven

Like the AS boost from CM, BardSong ranks used to round. (So "9/2 == +5" would be accurate.) 49 Songs would be +25 in addition to the base +10, for full +35/7x effectiveness.

If you're going to use your weapons--and you should, with a free +35 Sonic (only +10/no flares against undead), with the best flares of any non-Auction item in the game--then you should have 64 ranks of EL:Air. With your current training of 22 ranks, you're in the range of 12-15% chance of the second flare (edging towards the high side of that). By comparison, my 46th level Bard with 48 ranks is in the 21-24% chance of a second flare (again edging to the high end); and with the 64 ranks that you could have you would have just passed the +27% chance threshold of an extra flare, heading towards 30%.
Those extra flares are worth having.

Telepathy Lore is worth getting if you find yourself hunting in a group a lot; your 42 ranks currently gives you an additional +7AS to the group, and makes your Renewal interval 84s longer (nearly a minute and a half). That means that your chances of being stunned/disabled when you renew go down, because you renew fewer times in an hour.

As Lochiven requested, describe your normal practise. Do you mostly solo? Mostly weapon swing? Want to try spell-hunting, or have no interest at all?

Especially if you solo, you'll be more lethal with Air ranks (to get the flares more than twice as often as you do now) than with Telepathy (+7 AS is minimal). That said, if you've got the training points available, keep Telepathy for the longer duration and just add the Air ranks. If points are tight, drop Telepathy down to 18, 25, or 33 ranks [those are +4, +5, and +6 AS to the group, respectively] to switch into Air.
Re: Any advice? 09/04/2013 08:25 AM CDT
Pretty much exclusively solo.

So I'm guessing I will drop telepathy down to 18, pick up 15 manipulation and boost my air. I don't have too much trouble hunting, but as I get into the mid brackets now of 60's I feel like warding is going to be an issue. I can pretty well sleep most things without too much trouble in my immediate range.

Thanks for the feedback.
Re: Any advice? 09/04/2013 08:37 AM CDT
The good news is that Lullabye is not warding-based, so the higher your INFluence and number of SpellSongs the more successful you'll be. (As a pure-blood Elf I was regularly able to put prone creatures 8-10 levels higher than I.)

If you intend to remain primarily a weapon-swinger then you are less concerned about Manipulation, but the Air is all to the good. (Flares are yummy, and faster speed from Tonis doesn't hurt.) Not hunting in a group you care less about the AS getting shared around, though, so that will help with the training point costs.

Have you considered going the "cower behind sword & board/blast everything with Disruption" route? It is hideously effective.
Re: Any advice? 09/04/2013 11:06 AM CDT
Don't listen to the pures!

Brute force is always a welcome addition to the repertoire ; 0

I'd keep it simple and say that while yes you could have a higher chance of second flares, I would not over train in air lore to get it, the biggest benefits for my melee bard are from the RT reduction from tonis so all I cared about were the 30 and 75 rank thresholds I was quite comfortable sitting at 30 ranks of air lore for a good 40 levels until about 80 trains when I started in the bowels and needed a lil extra speed. I like manipulation lore as a melee bard, which prolly makes me a bit of an oddball but 1002 is a great setup spell for any bard to use, I also like the extra silvers I get from 1004 + extra manipulation lore. Also you can still be really deadly with 1030 as a physically focused bard, no requirement to 2x spells to use 1030 reliably.

Archales