Katana Quest 08/23/2004 11:09 AM CDT

The person in charge should check the "quest food" slightly messed up...

If one were to "lick" the item, per stormfront

there that shouldn't tell anyone anything... cept the GM in charge of the quest...

Brimz
Katana Quest 08/23/2004 08:51 PM CDT
The Age of the Katana has come to GemStone IV!

While all weapons have significance, the relationship of the katana to its master or mistress is especially profound. Seeking out the katana is a personal quest, one that few dare to undertake and even fewer complete. Do you have the courage, strength and imagination to start this journey? Search your heart well before you answer.

The Katana Quest has been released! Search out the Erithian woman in either Icemule Trace, Ta'Vaalor, or Wehnimer's Landing to begin your quest.

The Flower of the Erithi awaits you!
Re: Katana Quest 08/23/2004 09:08 PM CDT
So far, I must say, I'm quite displeased with the way the katana quest has been turning out.

a.) Opening up right near the end of the month, after the majority of the katana alters have been and gone. This should have been the debut of the month, not the near finale.

b.) Opening parts of it at a time, to where people spent hours and hours trying to figure out the clues to find a location that did not yet exist.

c.) One person at a time inside the location, and slow spawning of truffles. When even just a few people found out where to go, and started to gather, it got hard to get what you needed. I got frustrated and left, and have since heard of people setting up auto-running scripts to gather the materials and fighting breaking out over the materials and access to the location. Need faster material spawning, and multiple instances of the location so more than one person can get in at a time.
Re: Katana Quest 08/23/2004 09:18 PM CDT
D. Some people are actually hunting and learning in one of the areas while gathering truffles. I'd like to thank
the thieves who wander in and just snag what they wish. Ignoring those of us there actually getting those
truffles when we kill the creatures that we learn from.

(more amused when Ardwen came in to chat with me and actually pointed out to lady Laken that the lumpy truffle was
mine. Only to have her shrug and walk off with said truffle.)

Celtar, not amused.
Re: Katana Quest 08/23/2004 09:44 PM CDT
> and have since heard of people setting up auto-running scripts to gather the materials and fighting breaking out over the materials and access to the location.

Some things never change <sigh> ... like 2 year olds fighting over a piece of candy. My advice would be to just wait until all the snerts are sated and have left, there's little else you can do.

Avaia, player of

> A Vvrael witch moans, the tones intimating a poignant longing, carrying whispers of death with its possibility of bliss and eternal understanding.

Re: Katana Quest 08/23/2004 09:52 PM CDT
I'm just gonna wait until they post it all over the web. Then again, I probably won't be back for a year anyways.

- Chris, post count today: 1

Nobody thinks about vertical line test when riding motorcycle.
Re: Katana Quest 08/23/2004 10:35 PM CDT
Neat concept, but there was no lack of people killing each other for no good reason before this. So far I have seen two killed, and another called names and threatened.

~Ratboy is giving away the 2 dozen he found yesterday before anyone knew what they were
Re: Katana Quest 08/23/2004 10:57 PM CDT
How long will the quest be available for? Till the end of the month? I'd rather avoid the rush and try to solve the puzzle myself once things have died down a bit.

~Greg / Eldas
Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 01:19 AM CDT
Hopefully it'll be around for a spell. Even Ta'Vaalor is suddenly feeding frenzy of self-centered snerts on parade. On the up side of things, this quest of madness certainly shines a very bright light to show one the true colors of those persons one thought they knew over a sword. Very entertaining to ponder how folks would be acting if it was something more exclusive.

It all makes for a good Sociology experiment, study or thesis at any rate.
Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 02:28 AM CDT
The truffles don't come from killed creatures.

They randomly spawn in the room. No spawn message. So you may think it came from there, but it just appeared. As I've been in rooms where nothing was killed, and someone comes in a picks one up. It wasn't there when I walked in, so it appeared while I was there.

Thats one thing i'd suggest fixing, make a spawning message for the truffles, as a truffle blows in the room, or a truffle blah blah blah.

AT least i've never had them come from killed creatures,and neither have others I've been with.

I like the quest it is interesting, the problems with truffles will die down once the "Rush" is over. I mean everyone is out, and trying it in the landing is tough.

Now i'm stuck in a maze so I won't post more.

But I like it so far........

~Jeff
~Aim: Hakwea
"Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him." --Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine, AFC 54
Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 05:44 AM CDT
>So far, I must say, I'm quite displeased with the way the katana quest has been turning out.

I agree. I've already posted in the Discussions Folder, but I'll recap here:

Its not a difficult quest, nor is it very personal. Its most likely going to be scripted and have a walkthrough created by the end of the week. Theres no challenge to it, except finding the correct syntax and the correct locations, but again, with a walkthrough it will become very simple.

I expected trips around the game looking for clues or doing tasks or something. I'm hoping the new quest system isn't as base as this.

Anyway, still thanks for getting it out on time.
Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 10:36 AM CDT
>How long will the quest be available for?<

I'm pretty sure the quest itself is permanent.
Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 10:42 AM CDT

> I'm pretty sure the quest itself is permanent.

As am I. Which makes all the snerts just that much more pathetic.

Avaia, player of

> A Vvrael witch moans, the tones intimating a poignant longing, carrying whispers of death with its possibility of bliss and eternal understanding.

Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 11:23 AM CDT

As am I. Which makes all the snerts just that much more pathetic.

Avaia, player of <---

I still sort of wish I had a few working red crystals though. A very enjoyable way to snipe hunt. With the Trollfang forest so full of snipes these days, I could bag my limit in thirty minutes. :>

Celtar
Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 03:16 PM CDT
>So far, I must say, I'm quite displeased with the way the katana quest has been turning out.

>a.) Opening up right near the end of the month, after the majority of the katana alters have been and gone. This should have been the debut of the month, not the near finale.

>b.) Opening parts of it at a time, to where people spent hours and hours trying to figure out the clues to find a location that did not yet exist.

>c.) One person at a time inside the location, and slow spawning of truffles. When even just a few people found out where to go, and started to gather, it got hard to get what you needed. I got frustrated and left, and have since heard of people setting up auto-running scripts to gather the materials and fighting breaking out over the materials and access to the location. Need faster material spawning, and multiple instances of the location so more than one person can get in at a time.

I still hold the above to be true. However, once you manage to fight your way past the scripting hoards (i was part of the scripting hoards) and auctaly get into the quest, it's really good. I, being the uber quest genious that I am, passed it on my first try, and had a blast doing it.

I feel my monday off that I eneded up using to try and do the quest was wasted, but the time spent on the quest today was much more worth it.

Even if you don't want a katana, I recomend going thru the quest after the crowds die down just for the life experiance of it.

Asmodea Drey'Haus
Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 03:59 PM CDT
>I still sort of wish I had a few working red crystals though. A very enjoyable way to snipe hunt. With the Trollfang forest so full of snipes these days, I could bag my limit in thirty minutes. :>

>Celtar

Jim,

I of course don't have any of the red crystals, but I do have some granite triangles and bronze squares! For those that remember, the triangles, while slow acting, would work quite nicely in place of a red crystal, I'd think. ::chuckle::

Aeatherion / Jeff
Re: Katana Quest 08/24/2004 04:52 PM CDT
LOL! Yeah I used to use the squares and triangles in the Spider Temple years ago. :) Nice that they some how still work. I wish they were still critter found though. :/

Jim

"I was gambling in Havana, I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns and money. Dad, get me out of this. "
Katana Quest poetry 09/26/2004 11:12 AM CDT
Would it be considered giving away quest secrets if someone posted the little riddle the Erithian woman says on the boards? I've kinda given up looking for her, as she's the only NPC that doesn't like to go outside....

Neb

"Stay out of my Psychosis!"
Peter Boyle, The Dream Team
Re: Katana Quest poetry 09/26/2004 01:02 PM CDT
People have posted it numerous times without mods taking it down. Check out the Quest folder, i think its been posted in its entirety at least twice.

Rail

Ik q*'*ap goort pra ik gno*'*ap goort k*'*pla?
Re: Katana Quest poetry 09/27/2004 05:14 PM CDT
The Katana Quest poetry is, in itself, merely poetry. Discussion of said poetry on the Forums, however, is likely to be carefully scrutinized. :)

~
Emeradan
GS4-EMERADAN@PLAY.NET
~