Familial Relations of the Arkati 02/22/2017 01:09 PM CST
Ok so since I've been back I was looking through some of the old lore stories, mostly the "Official History of X" ones. There was something I noticed that I'm not sure if it's made clear elsewhere or if it's just a sort of emotional attachment or --- well anyway.

The birth of the Arkati in these tales are generally (except for the super old ones who have no recorded 'birth') born from a dead Drake. Usually reflecting the manner in which they died or something of that effect. Examples being Mularos from a Drake who died after suffering in extreme pain for a long time. Or Sheru and Ronan, dealing with the Dream and the Drake's fear and madness.

So this was kind of touched upon at the end of the story of Sheru and Ronan but -- how do the family ties work? Are all Arkati born of Drakes? Can they reproduce as we usually imagine it? Are the Arkati who are 'children' of other Arkati really their children, or did they just build familial ties through interaction and such?

I'd be curious if there's an official idea on this, but I doubt it since it's a minor detail for the most part. This would effect some Arkati however, specifically Voaris and Laethe, whos parents are said to have died during the Ur-Daemon War, though we don't know what is meant by their 'parents.'

I love the Arkati documentation, and hope to see more of it in the future, this is just something I found myself thinking about recently while I was rereading the stories.
Re: Familial Relations of the Arkati 02/22/2017 04:39 PM CST
>>I love the Arkati documentation, and hope to see more of it in the future, this is just something I found myself thinking about recently while I was rereading the stories.

Seconded.

As a character, personal encounters with both an Arkati and a drake have made this a "real" part of the forgotten histories in the realms.

Clunk has made learning lore of the Arkati and drakes a theme in his long term character play, including attempts to seek out evidence of various drakes, and their homes and origins.

As a player, I have notes about the various drakes names available in the on-line lore, and where appropriate, the Arkati they gave rise to.

As Clunk plays this out, the result is, of course, most other characters think he's nuts.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Familial Relations of the Arkati 02/22/2017 05:13 PM CST
> The birth of the Arkati in these tales are generally (except for the super old ones who have no recorded 'birth') born from a dead Drake. Usually reflecting the manner in which they died or something of that effect. Examples being Mularos from a Drake who died after suffering in extreme pain for a long time.... [snip] .... So this was kind of touched upon at the end of the story of Sheru and Ronan but -- how do the family ties work? Are all Arkati born of Drakes? Can they reproduce as we usually imagine it? Are the Arkati who are 'children' of other Arkati really their children, or did they just build familial ties through interaction and such?

An NPC in approx 1994 relayed a story on the Origin of Moralis's power. The tale began with a claim that Moralis (Mularos), Cay (Kai), and Phaon (Phoen) were brothers and all were sons of Kuor (Koar) and Valris (Lumnis). It has since been made non-canon through deICING and the introduction of new histories by staff.

Here's an arguably poor retelling of the tale by Naamit as captured during a Beacon Hall Theology seminar: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/beaconhall/Mularos.htm
Re: Familial Relations of the Arkati 02/22/2017 11:20 PM CST
<<So this was kind of touched upon at the end of the story of Sheru and Ronan but -- how do the family ties work? Are all Arkati born of Drakes? Can they reproduce as we usually imagine it? Are the Arkati who are 'children' of other Arkati really their children, or did they just build familial ties through interaction and such?>> - CYDRVRMAN

To be honest, I take those religious lore documents with huge bucket fulls of salt, because they would have to be oral traditions passed down over tens of thousands of years prior to recorded history. It's definitely on the very high end of official texts my character does not take literally. The Half-Krolvin gods might be the same deities we call by other names, for example, even though the theologies are completely different. It's a paradox where the more we find out the less we seem to know.

So, you will have one story of Ronan and Sheru being born of a Drake encounter, then in the Zelia story Ronan and Phoen are brothers. In "The Gods of Elanthia" document Ronan is Lorminstra's brother, and she is the daughter of Koar and Lumnis. There could be grains of truth in all of it. Or it could all be total nonsense.

<<An NPC in approx 1994 relayed a story on the Origin of Moralis's power. The tale began with a claim that Moralis (Mularos), Cay (Kai), and Phaon (Phoen) were brothers and all were sons of Kuor (Koar) and Valris (Lumnis). It has since been made non-canon through deICING and the introduction of new histories by staff. >> - Naamit

That's fascinating. I'm always interested in finding out instances where GemStone III deviated from pure Shadow World canon with the gods.

>Level: 46
>Strongest foe vanquished: an infernal lich
Re: Familial Relations of the Arkati 02/23/2017 01:00 AM CST
... There are competing Ronan ones, too. And I may make up a new one, because I'm in the mood this year.

---
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)
Re: Familial Relations of the Arkati 02/23/2017 02:15 AM CST
I think the lack of clarity is what makes the arkati interesting and provides opportunities for roleplay through various interpretations of the lore.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

AIM: Kaight (Matt) GS4
Re: Familial Relations of the Arkati 05/11/2017 07:12 AM CDT

Yes as I remember, the backstory to Luukos was a hard-felt blow to Luukosian roleplayers. I didn't count myself among them but it was sad to see. They went so far afield of what the Luukosians were doing so carefully and realistically, in order to give us a cartoon villain. Nobody really wants cartoon villains in the long run. How can we possibly take ourselves seriously as heroes if the bad guys are clowns? You read Luukos' backstory - he's a moron, and a loser. That wasn't the perception of the deity before that, and there was real tension.

NEVER NOT POST
Re: Familial Relations of the Arkati 05/17/2017 12:44 AM CDT
I've never cared for this "ugh! no one understands me! i hate u mom!" style of the Dark Gods being misunderstood with angst over 100,000 year old traumas. They are malevolent. They are dangerous. They are selfish and power hungry. They would dominate and destroy everything if they were not rivals and had the upper hand.

With Luukos I would roll it back even further and down play the undead thing. Originally, his motif was soul devouring / ritual sacrifices and consequently annihilating their whole existence, which was the biggest issue because corrupted souls could be cleansed eventually anyway. That was why the Order of Voln monastery in the Landing never even talked about him. Shifting the antagonism between the death gods to the undead and Voln's axe grinding blew that aspect of it out of all proportion.

Overall the undead are probably really rare, and were always created in many different ways. Luukos certainly should not even resemble the sine qua non of necromancy. They have to be over-represented in the creature mechanics (really to an illogical extreme if they are actually "released") because of Clerics and the Order of Voln.

- Xorus' player

(The original lore for the "Kannalan Empire" was that it was his theocracy where he's a sun god, but why the Voln monk lies about it was apparently never developed.)

>'=explain Who would deny, after all, that a rhetorical question is merely a statement?
You may not explain with a sentence ending in a question mark.