Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 12:29 AM CST
At the time of this posting, there are 310 people logged in.
215 are completely unconverted.

Why are you guys so anti-Arkati!
What would it take to get you to CONVERT?

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 01:58 AM CST
Interesting question!

Well, my main is firmly committed (and converted) to Lorminstra for reasons obvious to those who know her past. It may be quite surprising to others, however, given the fact she is a sorceress of some renown. It's all part of a rich and complex drama of truly epic scale. I feel quite fortunate to have such a robust character. Long story short, her conversion to Lorminstra was a no-brainer. Her devotion, however, has wavered slightly since her service as the First Chosen in the Vvrael wars. After the final battle, Lorminstra spoke to her once last time. Then she was forgotten...left with deep scars from the ordeal. She lost a part of herself, a part she still seeks to restore to this day. She feels more deeply connected to Koar, truth be known, especially by virtue of the orb she carries, given to her by Lorminstra, that physically links her to his shrine. Not to mention the fact she once carried one of the six Stones of Virtue now resting in Koar's crown. But at the end of the day, she still answers directly to Lorminstra--in spite of being forsaken since the end of the war. She even carries a Staff of Lorminstra that allows her not only to take life, but to return it.

Another of my characters is, as you say, flatly anti-Arkati. She views the Arkati as meddlesome beings with little regard for the humanoid races. Though powerful, they are as spoiled children, always demanding attention and manipulating others for their own desires. She finds them wholly unworthy of worship and will never convert.

My other characters are somewhat less cut and dry.

My dwarven bardess has ties to both Eonake, the god of her people, and his son Cholen, the god of song, dance and merriment. She has not converted because she's not especially religious, at least no more so than most. She's warm-hearted, good-natured, pragmatic and down-to-earth. What would it take to get her to convert? I suppose it would take some sort of religious experience; a divinely inspired quest or purpose. Like all her vows and commitments, converting is not something she would take lightly. If she's going to do something, she'll do it all the way or not at all.

My little ranger is a happy-go-lucky halfling with few cares in the world, relatively untarnished by the horrors she has seen. She tends to look on the bright side, even surrounded by darkness. Whether this is due to unbridled optimism, an indomitable spirit, or deep-seated neurosis is anybody's guess. Though she may seem rather naive, even dim-witted, it would be a mistake to underestimate her. She's considerably smarter than she lets on, in spite of her cheerful disposition. With her keen survival skills and expert bowmanship, she has to be. So what does this have to do with her conversion status? Nothing at all. I have no clue what it would take to get her to convert. She believes in the Arkati, and feels some affinity for those that venerate nature. That makes Imaera an obvious choice...but she also harbors a dark side. When she takes to the shadows, she becomes a ruthless killer. A cheerful, happy-go-lucky ruthless killer. I can't see her seriously converting to any specific deity.

My original bardess has undergone a few adjustments over the years. She's a Voln master and a brawler. She was orphaned early in life, a half-elven outcast who had a tough upbringing. She was raised by Voln monks, who taught her self-discipline and mastery of the martial arts. As such, Voln may be a natural choice, although she also bears a fondness for Tonis, by virtue of his gifts of speed and agility. I guess I would seriously consider converting to either of those, if I was swayed toward one or the other. At one time I considered converting her to monk, which clearly would have suited her character quite well, but I was scared off by early disappointment with the class. But since I now have two bards--albeit radically different styles--I sometimes regret not going for it. Ah well.

There are a few others, but none so fleshed out as the above. Hope this gives you some insight into how at least one person in Elanthia thinks about the convert status of her characters. :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 05:57 AM CST
>What would it take to get you to CONVERT?

I think the reason most dont convert is there's no reason to really for non clerics/paladins. You can rp following an arkati without the convert verb so doing so just locks you in and then you have to pay a bajillion silvers, get an intercession gem and find a cleric of the deity you wish to switch to. How many people would announce a religion in real life if you had to pay $30,000, three priests/rabis and a diamond to change out of declaring it to something else?

For instance, my warrior follows Voaris and over time his rp has shifted some, it would be nice to change but am I really going to pay 10mil or whatever it is and go through all the hassle of finding a right cleric to change it for rp reasons alone? No one else can see his convert status so it doesnt really matter. If it was easier to change without dumping my bank account more of my characters would be converted.

I think the only real way to encourage people to choose is to have in game consequences for it. Maybe a festival where only lornon or liabo converted people can go. Im trying to think of more examples but its rather difficult. For clerics and paladins there are definite and lasting consequences to their choice, spells are affected. If there was more of a reason to choose, more people would.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 06:29 AM CST
>>I think the only real way to encourage people to choose is to have in game consequences for it. Maybe a festival where only lornon or liabo converted people can go. Im trying to think of more examples but its rather difficult. For clerics and paladins there are definite and lasting consequences to their choice, spells are affected. If there was more of a reason to choose, more people would.

I think Dreaer nailed it. I, for one, would LOVE to see more Lornon/Liabo specific events!

>>You slay me woman! ~ Wyrom

~*~ She conquers, who endures ~*~
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 07:31 AM CST
>You can rp following an arkati without the convert verb so doing so just locks you in and then you have to pay a bajillion silvers, get an intercession gem and find a cleric of the deity you wish to switch to.

This is a pretty key point for me. So much has changed about my main character in the 10+ (!) years that I've played her that who's to say her religion would stay constant? I hate to lock her into something so permanent.

In terms of RP, my main holds respect for some of the Arkati as they're more powerful than her, and finds that her views align with a few in particular, but she doesn't actually worship. I've considered converting her before, but there's two she holds in equal regard.

As for what it would take for her to convert? From an RP perspective, there would have to be some event or some good reason for it. Mechanically, knowing she could change her conversion more easily later would be a lure, definitely. But I just can't see her really declaring herself openly for any one Arkati. It's a shame we can't, I don't know, rate our allegiance with each Arkati on a scale of 1-10? Obviously I know all the reasons that wouldn't work, but to me CONVERT seems like something you use when you're really devoted to one Arkati.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 10:19 AM CST
>At the time of this posting, there are 310 people logged in.
>215 are completely unconverted.

Seems about right to me. Clerics, paladins and a few weirdos.

In a polytheistic society, devotion to one particular deity is the mark of clerics and paladins. The general populace deals with Lorminstra when they want raising, Charl when they want their enemies lightning bolted, Ronan when they want to be looked after at night etc. They give their due to the Arkati that deals with the realm they have a particular interest in at a particular time but don't favor one much above another.

For someone who isn't a cleric or paladin to be CONVERTed means they are a little bit weird. They should have taken up a holy profession but the y got apprenticed to a wizard and can't bring themselves to give up all that power and start again.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 10:38 AM CST
>>but the y got apprenticed to. . .

I think that this is spot on, yet doesn't account for something.

1) In a roleplaying game, there are things about the character background that are. They are for reasons of race, profession and (here's the gap) upbringing - which should include apprenticeship.
2) Each of us should have a deity of 'influence'. We may not be that power's agent, especially in the manner of a cleric or paladin, but it would likely be the deity we would first turn to under stress.
3) Stress isn't a condition where one purposefully prays to a power for something in their sphere of influence. It's a lot like stubbing one's toe, and swearing. One will swear in the native tongue, almost never in a foreign tongue.
4) The current alignment situation doesn't have a means to express this 'influence'. One is either an agent of a specific deity, or not. And if one is specifically aligned, it's hell to pay to change one's mind.

Which could get us into the usual round of exchanges about roleplay versus mechanics and the problems with several of our systems supporting 'seeking the gold' versus 'seeking the light', and such. But let's save that for another day, hmmm?

If I had a way to express which power shaped the Elf's youth (as I see it) as Charl, and a power or two that might have done the Elf a disservice along the way of his formative years (Fash'lo'nae), and be able to build that into my roleplay, I would eagerly jump at the chance. But -- as an agent of a power -- the Elf is trying to keep a low profile for various reasons. And so he won't openly declare himself. Ever. I hope. That way, Koar may never know. . .

Doug
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 10:49 AM CST
I was actually looking at the convert verb the other day, been converted to Sheru since september of 97 which I'm pretty sure is when the verb was released. Unfortunately converting as others have mentioned does absolutely nothing for non clerics/paladins, maybe if there were a couple arkati specific verbs for those who had converted it would give some sort of meaning to converting, but as it stands there is really zero way for others to tell aside from looking as your profile if you have it listed there.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 10:49 AM CST
At the time of this posting, there are 310 people logged in.
215 are completely unconverted.

Why are you guys so anti-Arkati!
What would it take to get you to CONVERT?

Of the 8 or so characters that I play, only my cleric and paladin have converted to a specific arkati. The others really haven't had any reason to convert - mechanical or RP. The arkati have very little, if any, impact on the day to day lives of most of my characters (as far as they are concerned).

You could have similarly ask me why none of my characters have joined a bridge club. Because... they don't play bridge.

I think it is also fair to say that there are a lot gaps in what the existing selection of arkati offer in terms of realms/spheres/ethos. I'm not looking for anything specific here at present but there really isn't a good choice for a lot of my characters.

I suppose if the arkati were more prevalent in Elanthian day to day society I might be more inclined to be involved with the arkati.

-- Robert
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 11:11 AM CST
Likewise, only my paladins and clerics are "converted". I do have other characters that are aligned with a specific Arkati, but I've always just seen CONVERT as a mechanical thing - I don't need to use it in order to worship.

Just as a nitpick: convert usually means to change from one thing to another, and my characters wouldn't be doing that anyway. Mine who do follow, and are dedicated to, an Arkati have done so since birth as a family or cultural thing.

What would it take? Some actual reason outside of mechanics. If you told me the Arkati would NEVER communicate with an un-CONVERTed person, that might make a difference.

Changing the system to something that you actually have to DO to dedicate yourself to an Arkati would make a difference for ME. Make it a quest type thing where one has to proof their devotion.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 11:58 AM CST

>What would it take to get you to CONVERT?

add a mechanical benefit usable by your every day adventurer to beseech their Diety make the cost a deed

Follower of Eonake beseeches in the forge gets a better chance to make a best piece

follower of eorgeana could invoke her favor to cause AoE pain (705)

follower of ronan could use a deed to travel in the dream world between realms much like 740

kai's followers could get a surge of strength

koar followers could get a random effect from any akarti...

even if it refreshed once a month it would still encourage folks to convert.

anyway thats my thoughts on it.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 12:40 PM CST

>At the time of this posting, there are 310 people logged in.
>215 are completely unconverted.

Those numbers make sense to me.
Of my ten characters, only Clunk has chosen an Arkati that he follows. But then, I dont' think anyone can imagine Clunk following any Arkati other than Eonak and still be Clunk.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 01:58 PM CST
<<<In a polytheistic society, devotion to one particular deity is the mark of clerics and paladins. The general populace deals with Lorminstra when they want raising, Charl when they want their enemies lightning bolted, Ronan when they want to be looked after at night etc. They give their due to the Arkati that deals with the realm they have a particular interest in at a particular time but don't favor one much above another. >>>

That pretty succinctly sums up why most of my characters haven't converted. Excellent observation.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 03:32 PM CST

Pup doesn't follow just one diety. He follows both imaera and kuon and role plays both. No reason to convert when those that know him knows he follows both
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/05/2014 04:02 PM CST

<<<In a polytheistic society, devotion to one particular deity is the mark of clerics and paladins. The general populace deals with Lorminstra when they want raising, Charl when they want their enemies lightning bolted, Ronan when they want to be looked after at night etc. They give their due to the Arkati that deals with the realm they have a particular interest in at a particular time but don't favor one much above another. >>>

This was well stated. Arkati in Elanthia have the same feel to me as the gods in Feist's world of Midkemia. There are of course fanatics, clergy, and worshippers of all the deities, but for the most part a little silver offering to the god you hope to have on your side that particular day.

As for my own characters, my cleric is converted to Lumnis and is quite open about that fact. The pursuit of knowledge is thing he highly supports.
My warrior is converted to Gosaena though he'd never participate in a religious or philosophical conversation. How he assumes she views the world, reflects exactly how he sees it. Nothing to think about, "Gos simply gets it"
My sorcerer purposely chooses not to give any support to the arkati. They exist, they have influence, but they aren't far enough above him that they should be worshipped. From the Docs, I guess that is a bit more of an elven approach to the arkati even though my sorcerer is human.
As for the rest, it simply is like the quote above. Tip Lorminstra for deeds, curse lady luck when things go badly, avoid walking past the lornon aligned temples after dark or during eclipses of the moon..whatever.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/06/2014 09:46 AM CST

I believe the lack of conversion, or confirmed faith has a deeper source in the documentation. Priests, Paladins, and zealots aside, there is no logical reason to even believe in the Arkati as gods. Kenstrom's Cross into Shadows storyline, from it's beginning two years go as Beyond The Arkati, is a perfect highlight of the problems surrounding worship in Elanthia. We have a being that has been eternal, created from chaos, that has no respect, no concern, nor fear of The Arkati as anything more than mere fodder for it's evil intent.

My own characters over the years have never openly worshiped any Arkati, because as a god, their representation was ill conceived, IMO. The documentation states that the Arkati were once slaves to the Drake, and the Drake is not extinct, then why would anyone ever worship the Arkati as a god? There is obviously a greater power.

With the release of the Elven Theology documents during the Hot Summer Nights campaign years ago, religion in Elanthia was killed. It was suddenly acceptable to place your elven character on par with a god, and therefore while respect can be offered to a more powerful being, worship seems trite.

If there were solid RP and even Mechanical advantages to be aligned, converted and confirmed, perhaps religion could become as an important part of our day to day, as it once was, but there currently isn't any value to showing an Arkati any more than passing respect for their singular accomplishments and influence.

~
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/06/2014 11:47 AM CST
>>I believe the lack of conversion, or confirmed faith has a deeper source in the documentation. Priests, Paladins, and zealots aside, there is no logical reason to even believe in the Arkati as gods. Kenstrom's Cross into Shadows storyline, from it's beginning two years go as Beyond The Arkati, is a perfect highlight of the problems surrounding worship in Elanthia. We have a being that has been eternal, created from chaos, that has no respect, no concern, nor fear of The Arkati as anything more than mere fodder for it's evil intent.

>>My own characters over the years have never openly worshiped any Arkati, because as a god, their representation was ill conceived, IMO. The documentation states that the Arkati were once slaves to the Drake, and the Drake is not extinct, then why would anyone ever worship the Arkati as a god? There is obviously a greater power.

>>With the release of the Elven Theology documents during the Hot Summer Nights campaign years ago, religion in Elanthia was killed. It was suddenly acceptable to place your elven character on par with a god, and therefore while respect can be offered to a more powerful being, worship seems trite.

>>If there were solid RP and even Mechanical advantages to be aligned, converted and confirmed, perhaps religion could become as an important part of our day to day, as it once was, but there currently isn't any value to showing an Arkati any more than passing respect for their singular accomplishments and influence.

This is a really good point, it used to be that we all knew the story of the Arkati and the drakes OOC, but IC it was hardly reliable information, and much more easy to pass off as the ramblings of fools and madmen. Now it seems it is something that is well known, and considered to be proven fact, which in my opinion is a problem.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/06/2014 05:12 PM CST
>>This is a really good point, it used to be that we all knew the story of the Arkati and the drakes OOC, but IC it was hardly reliable information, and much more easy to pass off as the ramblings of fools and madmen. Now it seems it is something that is well known, and considered to be proven fact, which in my opinion is a problem.

I don't know, but - If you roleplay like you believe devoutely in the Arkati and the Drakes, then you may find yourself in scenes where:
- you are being bonked on the head by Eonak
- you see a sword rise from an underground lake as a sign to a newly ordained cleric of Ronan
- you meet face to face with Eorgina when she gives up her home and leaves Elanith
- you get carried off out of the blue by a drake, then have to walk home

The average Elanthian citizen regards all these as the tales of fools and madmen. It is not an everyday occurence. More like once every four or five years.

The other thing is, I only have one character who is anywhere close to being devout, and he is te only one of the set who has had these sort of encounters. All the others have never borne direct witness to any Arkati or Drake.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/10/2014 07:50 PM CST
Just about all of my characters are converted to a specific deity. The notable exception is my monk, who was a very bloodthirsty paladin of V'Tull and member of CoL until he had a life-changing experience in which his life was saved by a group of Voln monks. Because of this, he became a monk, joined Voln, and pledged himself to Phoen. However, I have not been able to find a Phoen cleric to help me do an official conversion, so, while he has unconverted from V'Tull, he is unaligned now. Anyone out there who could help me finish his conversion?

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/10/2014 08:10 PM CST
When my Koar converted paladin uses the "chant" command there is some flavor messaging that includes Koar and some swirling lights.

Do all converted chars have that or is it just paladins?

Chad, player of a few
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/10/2014 08:14 PM CST
>>Anyone out there who could help me finish his conversion?

Keep in mind that if you can't find a single cleric of the Arkati you're looking for to lead an Intercession, you can find three of the appropriate pantheon (who can use the Intercession version of Holy Receptacle). May make your life easier!

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/10/2014 08:23 PM CST
Chant is profession based, but with different flavors for clerics and paladins. Other characters just have a standard profession one without regard to convert.

Cleric: You chant a reverent orison, asking Imaera for a bountiful harvest.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/10/2014 08:55 PM CST
>Keep in mind that if you can't find a single cleric of the Arkati you're looking for to lead an Intercession, you can find three of the appropriate pantheon (who can use the Intercession version of Holy Receptacle). May make your life easier!--Tamuz

Thanks. I guess I did know that at one point. I had not pursued it very much, but I can.

However, I was just looking at the description of the spell. To finish the process of converting, I would need to be in a holy place dedicated to the deity I want to convert to. However, the only holy shrines dedicated to Phoen listed on Krakiipedia are in cleric guilds, which my monk would not be able to enter. Does anyone know it there is a shrine to Phoen outside of a cleric guild anywhere?

Thanks,

--David

"At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder, 'What would Jimmy Buffett do?'"
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/10/2014 09:04 PM CST
Sol, Icemule and Zul all have pretty much the lot.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/10/2014 09:11 PM CST
Chant is profession based, but with different flavors for clerics and paladins. Other characters just have a standard profession one without regard to convert.
Cleric: You chant a reverent orison, asking Imaera for a bountiful harvest.

Then that might be something to consider coding for all professions as something to motivate people into converting. Its just a little flavor but it's something?

Chad, player of a few
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/11/2014 07:59 PM CST

the fact that you can only choose once, and the process if you wish to change later is very heavily penaltied is a big factor.

Not to mention you have to find a cleric to do it, and wait and wait, and be on the arkati poo list for a long time.
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/21/2014 07:01 AM CST
You have been a devout follower of Imaera since Day of the Huntress, Charlatos 31, 5100 (3/31/00).

Here's my chrism holder: a harvest moon charm

The charm has a small pin on the back, allowing it to be arbitrarily suspended. Crafted from a brilliant fire pearl, the trinket catches ambient light across the surface of the gem in a radiant rendition of the full moon. A trail of divots and blemishes mar a portion of the pearl, giving it the realistic appearance of a lunar entity. Seated inside the moon charm's bezel setting is a heart-shaped emerald, which radiates an iridescent glow.

>I think the reason most dont convert is there's no reason to really for non clerics/paladins.

This isn't strictly true.

My chrism holder is a holy symbol for Imaera, as of the EG 2012. In principle, I could use it with Symbol of the Proselyte (340). But in more than a year, I've not had this done even a single time. I can't say I've knowingly encountered a cleric of Imaera since then, either (or when/if I have, I just always forget about this). It also seems like an absolute ton of work for a minimal effect (if/when a cleric is actually found). Although I don't want to give clerics the shaft, maybe 340 could be a lot more powerful for non-clerics or something. I'd be curious to know how often clerics actually perform 340 for others. Another improvement could be allowing clerics of the same Pantheon to give some lesser version of 340 to a similar holy symbol (but without improvement of 340, we'd be down to almost no effect at all).

In any case, it's pretty clear with minimal consequences of converting for most characters, but a cost to back out, why many people choose not to do that. I've heard it also influences Prayer of Commune, but in all my time playing, I think I've never been involved with one of those, either. I know I ATTUNED Kaldonis at some point years and years ago, but I quickly regretted it and have been stuck ever since.

Another improvement could be something with Paladins. For instance, Mantle of Faith, but also the group benefit spells, could give double benefit to someone of the same conversion. Being raised by a cleric or a paladin of the same conversion could automatically use a chrism effect. There's quite a lot of ways to do similar things. My only concern is that it would potentially become a trick with mutli-accounting that sees little other use. However, MAing aside, it's difficult to see such things being overpowered, given how infrequently I encounter characters with the same preferences as mine.

Relevant shrines could be super-nodes (or even super-super nodes) for converted folk. If a once-per-day do-it-anywhere concept is out, maybe just something at Shrines. Fill another 1700s slot with some kind of minor buff spell that is granted for a short time after praying at the right location. This could even use existing spells (Water Walking for Niima, Herb Production for Aeia or Imaera, blah blah blah), although that would certainly take more time and consideration to implement (Nightmare Curse for Sheru, haha). Although the latter part would make my request for my Golden Pickle in RR moot sadly.

~daid (player of Kaldonis Harvest-Moon)
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/23/2014 03:46 AM CST
As others have pointed out, the fact that there's a cost to change one's conversion and that for most people there aren't many consequences for being unwashed heathens doesn't really give everyone much of an incentive to convert except for RP.

Personally, I play an Aelotoi ranger and I don't really have strong feelings on who (if anyone) she should worship. From a RP perspective, it doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense for her to worship an Arkati at all since her people were somewhat abandoned and forgotten by the Arkati and suffered greatly for a long time. As someone who had a rather terrible childhood until arriving on Elanthia, she might not feel that the Arkati are worthy of her worship and devotion at all.

...blergh, I'm not used to how these forums work. :/
Re: Why so non-converted? 01/23/2014 02:55 PM CST
"What would it take to get you to CONVERT?" -- Tamuz

I'm converted to UNALIGNED these days, but for the longest time was not converted.

Part of it is RP decisions..

Arianiss' soul belongs to Luukos, he has history with Lorminstra and is trying to get his soul back into her possession, and his personality is most definitely better suited to Zelia. Plus, he's not afraid of the dark stuff while at the same time trying to do what's right and help people.

I didn't want to convert to any specific arkati because of mood messaging or GM's looking at my character going "Oh, a Lorminstra follower at this Lornon meeting?"

What got me to convert to unaligned was actually the release of 340.

..and honestly.. that's how it should be.

My only regret.. is that UNCONVERTED characters get random 220 sanctuaries when not using a runestone. An UNALIGNED character gets the old school grey mist area only (again, when not using a runestone).
Re: Why so non-converted? 06/05/2014 06:50 PM CDT
Sorry to resurrect a four month old thread, but I think a really neat thing for converted people would be the postname title "follower of <insert arkati here>".
Re: Why so non-converted? 06/05/2014 10:20 PM CDT
> Sorry to resurrect a four month old thread, but I think a really neat thing for converted people would be the postname title "follower of <insert arkati here>".

That actually already exists for clerics and paladins who have 40 ranks of religion lore. Not sure if that can be extended in some way to other professions though.