are longbows harder to aim compare to composite or short bows? 05/02/2015 10:01 PM CDT

I seem to be missing a lot with long bow at the arena.
Re: are longbows harder to aim compare to composite or short bows? 05/03/2015 12:44 AM CDT
I don't have any hard numbers to go by, but when I switched from a longbow to a composite bow for the reduced RT there wasn't any noticeable increase in my ability to hit eyes...

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: are longbows harder to aim compare to composite or short bows? 05/03/2015 11:33 AM CDT

>> I don't have any hard numbers to go by, but when I switched from a longbow to a composite bow for the reduced RT there wasn't any noticeable increase in my ability to hit eyes...

Out of curiosity, did you ever try switching to a crossbow?

-- Robert

"Wyrom isn't interacting with me, I think he is AFK scripting."
Re: are longbows harder to aim compare to composite or short bows? 05/03/2015 02:23 PM CDT
<Out of curiosity, did you ever try switching to a crossbow?>

I tried one for all of one hunt years ago and came to a quick conclusion they're a poor choice for snipers. Crossbows might have better crits then a bow, but that's not very important when you can reliably hit the eyes and having to mess around with reloading is dangerous (gnomes really can't carry multiple crossbows like bigger races can).

They might be good for warriors or mages, but they're not so great for rogues unless you have a RP reason for using them.

Starchitin

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: are longbows harder to aim compare to composite or short bows? 05/04/2015 08:55 AM CDT
<Out of curiosity, did you ever try switching to a crossbow?>
I tried one for all of one hunt years ago and came to a quick conclusion they're a poor choice for snipers. Crossbows might have better crits then a bow, but that's not very important when you can reliably hit the eyes and having to mess around with reloading is dangerous (gnomes really can't carry multiple crossbows like bigger races can).

Back when Rad was around mid 40's to 50 he used to carry 5 heavy crossbows and I had macros set to switch crossbows, kneel, fire, and stand as quickly as possible. Granted, it was effective, but cumbersome. His AS was very high for his training though, the kneeling benefit of a crossbow against the heavier armors is hard to beat in a pinch, but it made sniping nearly impossible. I muddled through for a few trainings but ended up going back to a longbow; he still carries a nice heavy crossbow though, just for the odd need here and there.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Empires exist through conquest, they live on by exercising total control of the conquered.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: are longbows harder to aim compare to composite or short bows? 05/13/2015 09:23 PM CDT

I forced my self to try a heavy xbow a while back for my rogue sniper. Tough transition. But now that I'm there, I've stuck with it. It's nice to be able to kneel, or blast that Mage if you get ewaved with the bonus. I still fall out if hiding while cocking, which is the biggest knock against xbows I have.

I'm kinda stuck with it now. While I can't argue xbows are better, for some reason I have found it more fun. I'm glad it forces a new play style. Switching from bow to xbow feels like playing another character. Can't say that about any other weapon style.
Re: are longbows harder to aim compare to composite or short bows? 05/14/2015 04:29 AM CDT
<<<While I can't argue xbows are better, for some reason I have found it more fun. I'm glad it forces a new play style. Switching from bow to xbow feels like playing another character. Can't say that about any other weapon style. >>>

Oh, I couldn't agree more! It really is a whole different style of playing. It's not for everyone, but I find it both challenging and rewarding. I'm glad to hear from someone who shares my affection for crossbows. :)

~ GtG and minions