Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/01/2014 10:15 PM CDT
Just came back from a 6 year break (can't believe it has been that long) and was wondering if I should switch over to pure or keep with archery. Cleric is 42, master fletcher, and Master in Voln. I unfortunately don't remember anything so am still reading and researching. Guides seem more scarce than they were the last time I played. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/01/2014 11:16 PM CDT
Feasible, yes. But I think you'd get more enjoyment out of the pure side - there are lots of things to spend training points on now, for the cleric.

You might want to visit the Cleric profession folder and seek advise there, posting stats and training.

Also handy for generic information, if you haven't visited yet:

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Cleric

Doug
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/02/2014 01:47 AM CDT
The only thing I would say (and this was certainly not something that changed too much except that some things that used to be immune to puncture now resist it instead, taking some damage) is archery for a cleric just seems like "not what you want." I'm all about mutant builds and other stuff, but if in Voln and a Smite cleric, archery just sounds flat out terrible. One of the perks of archery is eye criticals, and lots of undead either resist puncture or don't crit. I mean, it really sounds like one of the absolute worst plans ever. That doesn't make it not viable or great fun, but it just doesn't sound at all good on paper to me.

But I mastered fletching on my sorcerer who doesn't even do archery, so that's never a wasted skill! (Well, it's 125k experience to master...hehehe.)

>An officer of the Sorcerer Guild arrives and glances around. "Ah, there you are, Vathon!" he says in a slightly agitated tone. "I have come to formally declare that your membership privileges have been revoked."
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/02/2014 05:04 AM CDT
If you have to ask, switch.

Archery on a pure should maintain viability better than melee weapons so if you are committed to it you should be able to make it work for you. It will get harder as you level, and learning (or relearning) a technique under difficult circumstances can be painful.

If you go out hunting and your tactics come back to you and you shoot up critters to your satisfaction, theres no reason to change. If trying that has given you enough problems that you ask whether you should switch, you should switch.
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/02/2014 11:26 AM CDT
I switched over to archery on my cleric in her 20s and although I can't up hunt I did okay. I enjoy it immensely, I was just wondering if it gets to a point where it will no longer be possible to hunt critters around my same level down the road. I train in brawling and use voln fu on undead. I have had this character since 96 and was sword and board and when paladins came out resisted the urge to convert cause it didn't feel right. I am just stubborn I guess ;) Anyhow thanks for the advice. I will keep reading and also post over in the cleric folder. The way the skill migration works would if be possible to switch over and try out pure and switch back if I don't like it in the first 30 days?
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/02/2014 11:42 AM CDT
Archery is viable for pretty much any class, it's a matter of the sacrifices you have to make to maintain it. Also, I highly recommend a sighted ranged weapon. Sighting is a nice boon for those classes that can't fully train in ranged and the associated skills that make it better (perception and ambush). That being said, I find it very difficult and personally unsatisfying to use ranged on any pure class and I no longer do it at all, but that's just my own preference. With proper training it can be done and it can be great fun.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/02/2014 12:57 PM CDT
>I switched over to archery on my cleric in her 20s and although I can't up hunt I did okay. I enjoy it immensely, I was just wondering if it gets to a point where it will no longer be possible to hunt critters around my same level down the road. I train in brawling and use voln fu on undead. I have had this character since 96 and was sword and board and when paladins came out resisted the urge to convert cause it didn't feel right. I am just stubborn I guess ;) Anyhow thanks for the advice. I will keep reading and also post over in the cleric folder. The way the skill migration works would if be possible to switch over and try out pure and switch back if I don't like it in the first 30 days? - MONTICA41

I don't know anything about archery, but re: the bolded bit, you may ultimately want to reconsider that route. Since the release of the Unarmed Combat System, the old Voln Fu no longer exists, and UCS combat is very difficult to maintain efficacy with for a profession that can only 1x Brawling.

Brawling is still a great defensive skill for a pure, but it's not the bucket of win in attack that it used to be for Voln pures.

Dave, Brandain's Bard
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/02/2014 01:23 PM CDT
>The way the skill migration works would if be possible to switch over and try out pure and switch back if I don't like it in the first 30 days?

Yes, provided this is the first 30 days the character has been in GSIV rather than GSIII. If that is the case, you also have 5 stat changes you can use within those 30 days.

If it isn't the first 30 days in GSIV, you can still do it, but you either have to pick the right time of year to use your free FIXSKILL or buy potion(s) to get extra ones. It would be too slow to do in a reasonable time by normal migration.
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/02/2014 01:38 PM CDT
>I don't know anything about archery, but re: the bolded bit, you may ultimately want to reconsider that route. Since the release of the Unarmed Combat System, the old Voln Fu no longer exists, and UCS combat is very difficult to maintain efficacy with for a profession that can only 1x Brawling.

Brawling is these days particularly ineffective against noncorp and golem style undead, which gets to be a pretty high proportion of undead at level 50 and above. Its pretty much a complete reversal compared to fu. Jellied brains and spear hands kill the living but the undead shrug them off. Brawling is shockingly bad for combat against a lot of higher level undead even with 2x training.
Re: Cleric archer viable in 40s? 10/02/2014 01:58 PM CDT
<Brawling is shockingly bad for combat against a lot of higher level undead even with 2x training.

Seconded whole-heartedly, so much so that upon reaching a post cap goal of fully training in brawling in addition to ranged I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of Unarmed Combat altogether and going another route.

Radeek Andoran
General, Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato