Gathering different arrows 01/03/2013 08:42 AM CST
Sometimes I am hunting with a fellow archer we run into ammunition troubles, and it isn't long before he either gathers all of my arrows, or I gather all of his.

I have a master fletcher that made 2 sets of faewood arrows for us, one set unpainted and plain, the other painted with vials of icy blue paint. The intent was that we could gather them separately, but no matter what what adjective we used, blue, icy blue, icy blue faewood, etc... we could not seem to single out the different arrows with the gather verb. In fact it seemed anything OTHER than just GATHER ARROW wouldn't gather any of them.

It is like the crafted arrows do not have any adjective to distinguish between different arrows. Am I missing something? I like to hunt with my fellow archer but I do not want to constantly be running out of arrows (or snagging somebody elses!) due my inability to gather the correct arrows.

Thanks in advance!

--Zizzle
Re: Gathering different arrows 01/03/2013 01:03 PM CST
You probably set the second descriptor for both bundles of arrows to 'faewood'. If you FLIP the bundle of shafts, you can make 'faewood icy blue arrows' instead of 'icy blue faewood arrows'. That would solve your problem.

---Mirrami
Re: Gathering different arrows 01/03/2013 02:06 PM CST
You probably set the second descriptor for both bundles of arrows to 'faewood'. If you FLIP the bundle of shafts, you can make 'faewood icy blue arrows' instead of 'icy blue faewood arrows'. That would solve your problem.

---Mirrami

Thanks! I guess I'll be crafting a bunch more of these then and give the ones I made to my buddy for now...

--Zizzle
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/04/2013 06:03 PM CST

If your using stormfront, the other way you can do it is just click on one of your arrows an use the dropdown to gather.
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/20/2013 01:34 PM CST
You can gather arrows the other way by pulling a fresh arrow of the type you want to bundle out of your quiver, 'gather my arrow', and putting that bundle back in the quiver.

I have this macro'd to my F9 and F10 keys (for two types of ammo).

I can't login at the moment, but it looks like (possible typo):

F9: get 1 arrow from my quiv\rgather my arrow\r put my arrow in arrows in quiver\r
F10: repeat for other container with arrows

I can quickly clean-up a room by watching the room window, and tapping F9 and/or F10 as needed (if I used two types of arrows in a room, say blessed and fire flaring).

For your group hunting, this will work even better as you'll only gather your arrows: those that match the one you're holding.

HTH,

player of a gnomish archer
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/20/2013 03:43 PM CST

Interesting technique. Looks ugly, but works.

Can we exploit the register verb and then gather "my" or "<<name>>" for group hunting? Won't solve somebody else grabbing you arrows.

Really I'D just like to not have to wait the hidden time check after an arrow bounces off a critter. If you're ever hunted with a super fast paced wizard, you'll know the embarrassing, "are you ready yet??" moments that make me want this. (alternately to no idle time, death of critter hit should allow you to collect your arrows).
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/20/2013 04:33 PM CST
<<<Really I'D just like to not have to wait the hidden time check after an arrow bounces off a critter. If you're ever hunted with a super fast paced wizard, you'll know the embarrassing, "are you ready yet??" moments that make me want this. (alternately to no idle time, death of critter hit should allow you to collect your arrows).>>>

Absolutely. Seconded. I understand the reasoning for the "out of reach" concept. But it is inconsistent with other game mechanics. We have to wait to walk across the room to pick up an arrow, but we can magically zip across the countryside from one room to another in no time at all. The mechanic is silly, inconsistent, unnecessary and aggravating.

I say ditch it.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/20/2013 06:30 PM CST
Only if ranged DS gets bumped up for creatures since simulated distance (waiting to pick up arrows) is removed.

-farmer
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/20/2013 07:30 PM CST
<<<Only if ranged DS gets bumped up for creatures since simulated distance (waiting to pick up arrows) is removed.>>>

Rubbish. Waiting to pick up arrows may have been sold as "simulated distance" but it's really not. Simulated distance would be some form of engagement system, which is never going to happen. The DS pushdown is not distance related, either, but the loss of parry DS, same as bolt spells. I see absolutely no reason to change the combat aspect of archery simply because you remove the wait time to pick up arrows.

That said, I DO recognize the purpose of not allowing arrows to be picked up WHILE the monster is still alive in the room with you. But once said creature is dead, the mechanic is no longer useful. Worse, it's completely illogical when you can walk back and forth across broad swaths of land in the blink of an eye, but you can't pick up an arrow in the same vicinity. The system may have been well-intentioned, but it has never worked in practical terms. Since I'm guessing it would be a royal hassle to try to fix it, I think it should simply be removed.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/21/2013 12:57 AM CST

Rubbish. Waiting to pick up arrows may have been sold as "simulated distance" but it's really not. Simulated distance would be some form of engagement system, which is never going to happen. The DS pushdown is not distance related, either, but the loss of parry DS, same as bolt spells. I see absolutely no reason to change the combat aspect of archery simply because you remove the wait time to pick up arrows.

That said, I DO recognize the purpose of not allowing arrows to be picked up WHILE the monster is still alive in the room with you. But once said creature is dead, the mechanic is no longer useful. Worse, it's completely illogical when you can walk back and forth across broad swaths of land in the blink of an eye, but you can't pick up an arrow in the same vicinity. The system may have been well-intentioned, but it has never worked in practical terms. Since I'm guessing it would be a royal hassle to try to fix it, I think it should simply be removed.

~ Heathyr and friends

Since you don't believe in the simulated distance concept, I assume you're fine seeing a huge reduction in your DS that is obtained purely through simulated distance DS.

So your DS will be, armor enchant, reflex bonus, spells, and dodge bonus. That 200-300 DS you gain at cap for simulated distance should be removed too?

Dgry
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/21/2013 01:05 AM CST
I think what she is going for is that after the fight is over, there is no reason why this is still an issue. The enemy is dead, the threat is over . . . the distance is no longer relevant, its just a time sink.

>Barnom says, "Like sage and nutmeg."
Re: Gathering different arrows 02/21/2013 03:08 AM CST
<<<I think what she is going for is that after the fight is over, there is no reason why this is still an issue. The enemy is dead, the threat is over . . . the distance is no longer relevant, its just a time sink.>>>

Bingo.

~ HH