Demons and Archery 05/30/2012 02:36 PM CDT
Someone asked this question in another thread, but it has me interested. Can you hit a demon with an 8x bow and blessed arrows? Or would you need to somehow get 8x arrows?

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Demons and Archery 05/30/2012 03:27 PM CDT
8x blessed arrows. E-bows (at least Khaladon and Uska's versions that I've seen) don't work either. I've heard the spirit bows do. Basically if you're an archer you avoid demons.

Keith/Brinret

Five Jewish men who influenced the history of Wester Civilization:
Moses said the law is everything.
Jesus said love is everything.
Marx said capital is everything.
Freud said sex is everything.
Einstein said everything is relative.
Re: Demons and Archery 05/30/2012 03:47 PM CDT
You fire a faewood arrow at a huge incarnadine vathor!
AS: +553 vs DS: +199 with AvD: +20 + d100 roll: +33 = +407
... and hit for 55 points of damage!
The faewood arrow is deflected to one side, sailing to the ground.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

7x bow, 5x blessed arrows.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Speaking to you, Ceyrin says, "Because I do."
You say, "Yes. I have a condition called Annoraxia.""
Re: Demons and Archery 05/30/2012 03:51 PM CDT
>8x blessed arrows. E-bows (at least Khaladon and Uska's versions that I've seen) don't work either. I've heard the spirit bows do. Basically if you're an archer you avoid demons.

Yeah...there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about this topic. I hit unphased, undispelled demons all the time with blessed master fletched arrows.

Droit

Speaking to you, Ceyrin asks, "Do you spontaneously come back to life when you die?"
Re: Demons and Archery 05/30/2012 03:54 PM CDT
Droit, do you think it is based on the final enchant between the bow and arrows in this case?

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Demons and Archery 05/30/2012 03:56 PM CDT
No idea.

Droit

Re: Demons and Archery 05/30/2012 04:22 PM CDT
Droit's right.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Demons and Archery 05/30/2012 10:57 PM CDT

My archer was deflected against a demon during the wehnimers blood saga using a 5x bow and 5x master fletched blessed faewood arrows...at least until it got beat down proper.
Re: Demons and Archery 05/31/2012 12:47 AM CDT
I'm wondering if perhaps archery requires a total of 11x.

~James
Player of Septimius
Re: Demons and Archery 05/31/2012 06:54 PM CDT
In my experience, it's not possible to hit a demon before it's phased with a bow and arrow. Perhaps you could do it if you had 8x arrows (the only plausible scenario there is to enchant an arrow to 8x and use the single dupe quiver that exists). Once the demon's phased in, though, you can hit it with 4x blessed arrows. I'm trying to recall if I've used 0x blessed arrows and been able to hit a phased demon, and I can't recall. I'll search some logs later. It may be that only the arrow enchant counts.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Demons and Archery 06/07/2012 12:58 AM CDT
from what i understand of demons its 7x and blessed to hit unphased, Droit got the 7x from his bow and the blessed from the arrow. to test it Droit needs to shoot a demon with 7x bow and 0x blessed arrow. 5+5 may add up to 10 but no enchant alone is over 7,where most melee weapons that hit are.
Re: Demons and Archery 06/07/2012 07:56 AM CDT
I find it a tad annoying that, in my experience, 8x is required for unphased demon slaying. My ire is that any regular Prime player will have access up to 7x but 8x isn't achieveable without premium points or a Major Prize Win (and the 7x to take to 8x anyhow). I understand the need to make demons la especial but for the common adventurer 7x is still difficult enough to achieve AND then bless (no sonics, flares or weighting!)
Re: Demons and Archery 06/07/2012 08:57 AM CDT
They're supposed to be hard to kill.
They are.
== Design Success!
Re: Demons and Archery 06/09/2012 11:58 AM CDT
Anyone using spells to attack demons can attack at any age regardless, but a square will require an 8x weapon (something not available regularly in Prime). I think it makes sense that demons are hard to attack, but moving the requirement to 7x so Prime adventurers who are squares have the ability to attack doesn't seem game breaking. Keep in mind, it is only squares wielding weapons that are effected, not those using spells for attack purposes.
Re: Demons and Archery 06/09/2012 03:47 PM CDT
Not that I disagree with you, but demons are immune to many spells.

Droit

Re: Demons and Archery 06/09/2012 04:03 PM CDT
Well if you won't do it, then I'll go ahead and disagree with Rolfard! :p

I like the fact that demons are really hard to hit! It is one of the few reasons I would bother to bring a weapon up beyond 7x.

To your point Rolfard, pretty much anyone in the game has the ability to get to an 8x weapon if they are willing to spend enough silvers (yes, that means they would be buying someone elses premium points or buying one of the rare enchanting potions that come up maybe once per year and then paying a wizard to enchant it).

Also, I thought demons could be hit with 4x blessed weapons if you cast the right spell at them (spell name slips my mind at the moment - some sort of phase spell)?

-- Robert
Re: Demons and Archery 06/09/2012 04:19 PM CDT
You mean 704, which is just named Phase. And it is either that or dispel them enough. I also believe if they just spend enough time away from their natural plane they become hittable by any blessed weapon.
Re: Demons and Archery 06/10/2012 09:45 AM CDT
Yes phase makes them vulnerable, however they are nearly impossible to ward with that spell prior to heavy dispelling. I am a pure and can use my offensive spells, but I typically stick to using dispel (spirit and elemental alternating).
Re: Demons and Archery 06/11/2012 01:37 PM CDT
Perhaps a sorcerous alchemy recipe involving phase that produces a salve with a limited number of uses (10?) that is placed on a 7x blessable weapon, which then allows said 7x blessable weapon to hit unphased demons could be created.

It's tedious enough to keep us looking for that 8x blessable, but could be a good backup in case of an emergency.
Re: Demons and Archery 06/11/2012 08:15 PM CDT

I'd vote for something like this (+1 like). Demonbane salve or something like that.

-- Robert
Re: Demons and Archery 06/11/2012 09:43 PM CDT
Nice. +1

Doug
Re: Demons and Archery 06/12/2012 07:37 AM CDT
Demonbane, i will also +1 this. Alchemy gets four dismembered thumbs down however.
Re: Demons and Archery 06/14/2012 07:34 AM CDT

how about including a new metal thats magical property is it hits demons in mining and smelting when it comes out. and merchants to turn the slabs into arrowheads for the fletchers.make it a high end high skill deal to work with for the miners and smelters.
Re: Demons and Archery 06/14/2012 12:26 PM CDT
how about including a new metal thats magical property is it hits demons

ethereal weapons are exactly this
Re: Demons and Archery 06/15/2012 03:31 PM CDT
How about urglaes is able to hit demons? That makes sense doesn't it? And since urglaes isn't doing anything, why not? Actually veil iron kind of makes sense too, since it can be viewed as from space or "another plane", as are demons.

On the other hand, aside from you archers, I think needing an 8x weapon to hit them without first allowing them to fully enter the plane is a neat mechanic and gives us melee users something to strive for. We can make it easier to kill demons, but is that what we want: demons easy to kill? 8x arrows on the other hand seem exponentially impractical. Veil iron tipped arrows seem more reasonable and purposeful. Plus, the idea of bane arrows is pretty cool.

Kerl
Re: Demons and Archery 06/17/2012 09:14 PM CDT
so wait another 4 or 5 years for another 2 or 3 ethereal weapons to be released?
Re: Demons and Archery 06/17/2012 09:22 PM CDT
"make it a high end high skill deal to work with for the miners and smelters."

" so wait another 4 or 5 years for another 2 or 3 ethereal weapons to be released?"

Better than a decade or more for two systems that have been dead for at lest that long?
Re: Demons and Archery 06/17/2012 09:32 PM CDT
are the orbs the old buckle and pendant molds use still in the treasure system on teras? and if so why can't an arrowhead version of the mold be released,limit the choices to like 4 arrowheads and 4 boltcaps.would be a good raffle item. have it do like 1 orb does 10 arrowheads a pop.
Re: Demons and Archery 06/18/2012 08:36 AM CDT
I recently got to play with the mold for buckles. It works with the orbs from wasp nests and has about 40 different settings (turn to set). I only had one orb at the time and made a beatiful glaes dragon buckle. From my understanding thus far they may be randomly imbeddible, but this one was not. When loresung, I recieved the same strange message (for use by a mage or other spell-user) that you get when you loresing those wonderful scripted boomerangs. I plan on harvesting more orbs to have more fun happy time play with the mold before, regretfully, returning the mold to its current owner (oldguy mcdust).

I think its a neat idea to have a raffle for a new mold that makes arrowheads since the mechanics still work and I will be posting your idea in another folder ASAP!

Rolf-orb
Re: Demons and Archery 06/19/2012 12:41 PM CDT
So if we can get an NIR to go along, a dumbed down 4+4 arrowhead and cap for raffle and auctions and a single type for off the shelf should be a doable project in relative short time.and intro of new orbs that make say ethereal arrowheads with critters to carry em or add them to current critters that lack a special treasure should be easier than whole new systems.
Re: Demons and Archery 01/19/2013 11:53 PM CST

That would be incorrect Keith. At least the khal ebows were 4x and random 1-30, so is a chance to hit a demon, but i wouldnt reccomend it