Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 08:32 PM CST
I would like to see a spell added to the Arcane Circle that would raise one's TD, but lower your CS. Sort of like a magical Spiritual Barrier spell. The spell would obviously favor squares and swinging semi's, but I imagine even pures would use it in a pinch if they needed a big TD boost.

I think something along the lines of +20TD and -10 - -20 CS would be appropriate. Call it Null Magic.

Thoughts?

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 08:38 PM CST
Sounds like a pretty useful spell to me. I think it fits the current costs/benefits balance scheme, too.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 09:08 PM CST
I'd prefer the name 'Dampen Magic' or something along those lines. Null is so absolute.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 09:39 PM CST
Indeed. That is a better name. Like the concept, though, I trust?

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 10:27 PM CST
This spell should be made.

I have spoken.

~Eugenides, The Last

You monotonously drone, "Bwaaaaaaaaaah."

Aydan monotonously drones, "Bwaaaaaaaah."

A barn owl says, "Bwaaaaaaaaah."

From nearby, you hear Bristenn yell, "Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 10:38 PM CST
The problem with this spell is that the penalty to CS is no penalty at all to professions that don't cast CS spells. Considering that those professions include rogues and warriors, who coincidently are usually also the two classes most at risk for CS based attacks, what you're creating is essentially a huge TD booster with no drawbacks for professions whose balancing quality is that they're susceptible to CS attacks.

That will make rogues and warriors more powerful, compared to other professions. Furthermore, the inevitable affect of this change would be to change critter CS to compensate.

I'm sure you have really, really good reasons and scenarios for which this spell would be great. The way I see it, however, is that it would be very unbalancing.

Now, don't get me wrong, my last two main characters have been rogues, so I personally would LOVE a spell like this. Nevertheless, I think it would be unbalancing, and would be surprised if anything like this was implemented.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 10:44 PM CST
How about +20 TD -20 bolt DS?

That seems like a fair trade, and bolt DS effects everyone equally.

Personally, I'd love another +TD spell from the arcane circle. I'd find it very useful in the Rift, where I'm constantly running Dissipation, and I still get warded from time-to-time (especially by elemental spells as a cleric).

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power" - William Shakespeare
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 10:49 PM CST
Doesn't affect people who don't cast bolts.

How about +20 TD, and -20 to both CS and all forms of AS?
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 10:51 PM CST
>Furthermore, the inevitable affect of this change would be to change critter CS to compensate. - Tsoran

No, not really.

I fully understand the argument of "ANY AS/DS/CS/TD IMPROVEMENT WILL BE INSTANTLY NEGATED BY CRITTER TWEAKS!" But there are very obvious caveats. Was critter TD raised when quartz orbs were released? No. Will critter TD be raised with 340 comes out? How about when 240 came out? No.

Why? Because these boosts aren't sustainable. Either by rarity of the spell, the costs involved, or other outside factors, changes to profession AS/DS/CS/TD can be made without just slapping the old "Can't! We'd have to change critters!" argument down on the table and calling it a day.

If this spell were to be released, it would likely be a high level arcane spell which would rarely gen on scrolls and magical objects. On scrolls, squares would need a high amount of Arcane Symbols to activate. It would still be possible, but only in short supply. I would put it at 1730+ so it cannot be infused by Sorcerers.

Magical items would be able to be activated by any warrior/rogue, etc without MIU training, much like Small statues. The item, like 1750, would not be rechargeable via Charge Item and would be rare. Not as rare as monocles, but up there.

Finally, the duration would be short. 5-10 minutes or so. Basically, 1 hunt. Flat, non-refreshable or stackable.

Balance is thus achieved.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/18/2010 11:21 PM CST
>The problem with this spell is that the penalty to CS is no penalty at all to professions that don't cast CS spells.
Tsoran

What's the penalty that quartz orb users get?

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 07:37 AM CST
<<What's the penalty that quartz orb users get?

Encumbrance, but only if you're carrying around quite a few of them. At 10 pounds a piece they really add up and can hit your DS hard once you start getting encumbered by adding boxes from the hunt on top of carrying a couple orbs.

-Adam

"You guys took all the pretty places." ~Anonymous
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 08:23 AM CST
>The problem with this spell is that the penalty to CS is no penalty at all to professions that don't cast CS spells.

The penalty to AS for 102 is no penalty at all to professions that don't use a weapon.

The bonus to DS (as well as the AS penalty) also increases with ranks in the MnS circle, thus providing a larger bonus with no apparent penalty (for professions that don't use weapons).

>If this spell were to be released, it would likely be a high level arcane spell which would rarely gen on scrolls and magical objects.

This. Similar to Arcane Barrier et. al.

>At 10 pounds a piece...

I thought they were 7 lbs.

~Eugenides, The Last

You monotonously drone, "Bwaaaaaaaaaah."

Aydan monotonously drones, "Bwaaaaaaaah."

A barn owl says, "Bwaaaaaaaaah."

From nearby, you hear Bristenn yell, "Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 09:33 AM CST
>>Doesn't affect people who don't cast bolts.<<

Uh... what?

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power" - William Shakespeare
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 10:18 AM CST
>How about +20 TD -20 bolt DS? <LORDKRIP>

>Doesn't affect people who don't cast bolts. <Tsoran>

Highlighted for your benefit ;)

This is a very interesting concept. Trading one kind of defense for another? I like it.

I imagine a warrior would happily trade 20 generic DS for 20 generic TD. Heck, I imagine most PCs would.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 10:22 AM CST
>Encumbrance, but only if you're carrying around quite a few of them. At 10 pounds a piece they really add up and can hit your DS hard once you start getting encumbered by adding boxes from the hunt on top of carrying a couple orbs.
-Adam

Disks, phase, spirit servant. Plus there's those fun off the shelf (ring I think) embeds of the spell that are wearable.

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 11:29 AM CST
<<Like the concept, though, I trust?>>

Very much so.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 11:50 AM CST
The idea at it's core is to put a spell in the arcane circle which will be fairly rare, not chargeable or infusible, and has a trade off which is fairly negligible to squares, somewhat impactful to semis and painful to pures.

CS is the first thing that comes to mind. Bolt AS would work too, as magic is supposed to be dampened. But that would also mean incoming bolt spells should be penalized. It would be neat if the spell could negate a portion of magically Gained DS as a trade off. The more spells you're wearing, the more of a magical DS hit you take.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 11:52 AM CST
>How about +20 TD -20 bolt DS? <LORDKRIP>
>Doesn't affect people who don't cast bolts. <Tsoran>
Highlighted for your benefit ;)

That's what I get for trying to read, write, and chew gum simultaneously in the middle of the night.

So just ignore my comments about this one.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 12:22 PM CST
><<What's the penalty that quartz orb users get?

>Encumbrance, but only if you're carrying around quite a few of them.

Not an issue now that all quartz orbs are mage rechargeable.

Droit

Speaking to you, the ghostly voice of Kaedra asks, "Have I ever told you, I think you're crazy?"
>
The ghostly voice of Kaedra says, "That was an insane rescue."
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 02:39 PM CST
On a related note I would hope the item would have a rarity similar to cubes and quartz orbs as opposed to whatever the hell 1750 is in, 'cause I haven't found one of those yet.

Not necessarily as common as those, but similar.

-Keleborrn.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 07:33 PM CST
... I was beginning to think I was the crazy one, and I missed some massive change to the game where bolt DS only applied to bolters. Glad I'm not crazy.

On topic, I'm with Keleborrn on this one. I don't want to see it be 1750 rare.

I think somewhere in the 1714, 1716, 1717, or 1719 slot seems appropriate.

Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/19/2010 10:53 PM CST
What about having it give -10 to CS and -10 to offensive CMAN resolutions?

Thus, balance is achieved by having it affect all professions alike.

-Sea Wizard

You reach into the cauldron and take out a silvery monogram rocket.
The cauldron raises up two of its legs and clasps them in victory.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/20/2010 02:57 PM CST
your idea rimalon, is fine, except theres no hinderance for bolt casters if it takes away from CS or CMAN, but not bolt AS, if you wanted a level playing field
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/21/2010 10:06 AM CST
I think he knew that, and it was a joke...

... or was it?

Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/22/2010 12:43 AM CST
Not everything I post is a joke!

I forgot about Bolt AS, but it's whatever whatever.

102 doesn't affect Bolt AS, and is essentially free DS for a bolter profession, so the precedent has already been set.

If the proposed arcane spell would require -10 Bolt AS in addition to -10 CS and -10 CMAN resolution, as I said, whatevs. Make it so.

-Sea Wizard

You reach into the cauldron and take out a silvery monogram rocket.
The cauldron raises up two of its legs and clasps them in victory.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/24/2010 09:59 AM CST
<< 102 doesn't affect Bolt AS, and is essentially free DS for a bolter profession, so the precedent has already been set. >>

Spell 102 is intended to be used by spell casters for defense. There isn't necessarily any precedent being set here.

The real point that matters is this: what is the intent of the spell being designed? Which class of or specific professions is the spell intended to be used by? With this established, you can consider what balancing factors to include to support this intent.

If this spell is meant as additional defense for squares, including a penalty for squares doesn't make sense unless part of the intent is to create a choice. If you are intending to create a choice, then the choice must be significant. Otherwise, you end up with just another staple that everyone uses and you move the bar up slightly.

--
Naos

I'm immune to fire! Now with more banhammer! You sense the bond between you and your grey cat grow stronger.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/24/2010 10:26 AM CST
With that logic Quartz orbs and Small Statues whould be done away with immediately. Those Solid Moonstone Cubes also offer absolutely no drawbacks, so they too must meet with the axe.

This is the ARCANE circle. Not a player cast circle. Items here are finite. Short of Charge Item/Scroll Infusion, which can be blocked if the item is deemed too powerful, balance is achieved by scarcity of availability.
Re: Suggestion for an Arcane Spell 11/25/2010 04:28 PM CST
in that case, offer a slight alternative

an arcane circle spell that simply ADDS +5 gen TD

not too overpowering
yay for everyone!
no negative mod (see small statues and moonstone cubes)