1708 and 1720 combination 09/18/2010 10:44 AM CDT
I am going to throw my vote in here and say that these spells used together are no where balanced.

First I know when the spells were "designed" they were not created for PvP. I remember somewhere reading in the posts from the past that PvP was never a consideration.

But now we have shattered where PvP is okay.... but moving along since I don't play shattered.

I have yet to see any creatures use any of the spells. Not saying the couldn't eventually but not one creature or bandit use them.

So who does? Players.

1708 · Mystic Impedance
The top-level restriction is calculated according to (20 - summation seed 1 of (caster's ranks/2))

and

1720 · Arcane Barrier
The caster becomes immune to spells of level (3 + (caster's ranks/25)) and lower.

So essentially, a player with 202 MIU ranks can walk in wearing 1720 making him immune to level 11 spells and lower for 1800 seconds or 30 min.

Pulls out a smooth amber wand and wave it at you.
making you unable to cast anything at them 7 levels or higher.

So for 3 minutes, short of whining, fleeing or issuing a warning. You can't do anything to them as a pure.

I can't wrap my head around how is this balanced?

115, not that I like this spell, offers no protection.. Infact there is zero protection against this unbalanced spell when you have like level characters facing against one another.

Please tell me that 1708 does not affect wands and imbedded rods.

Peace
Zhelas

(Lord Paladin walks around Droit examining his equipment.)
Lord Paladin: How does he....How does he work?
Re: 1708 and 1720 combination 09/18/2010 11:13 AM CDT
Since you don't play Shattered, why did you bring this up?

Have you had a CvC encounter lately where this happened to you?

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: 1708 and 1720 combination 09/18/2010 11:25 AM CDT
Sure CvC or PvP is not encouraged or supported in Prime but the spells do exist and it can be a pretty nice combination that can be abused.

To answer your question. Yes.

This was the first time I have witnessed the affect when it was pushed to the limits.

One can say that this is a rare occurrence. But some players do push their characters to take that advantage.... my answer is congratulations for spending all those points to get that.

So just to confirm. 1708 impedes the target's ability to cast high level spells.

Since wands and rods use the MIU activation, they will be unaffected by 1708.....correct?

Peace
Zhelas

Re: 1708 and 1720 combination 09/18/2010 05:28 PM CDT
Zhelas
So for 3 minutes, short of whining, fleeing or issuing a warning. You can't do anything to them as a pure.

As you preface, we don't balance around PvP. Game mechanics don't support it, as it's always a first to react typically wins scenario. Yes, they can be the first to cast Mystic Impedance and prevent you from casting a number of spells at them, but you can also do the same thing any number of disablers.

GameMaster Estild
Cleric/Empath Team
Re: 1708 and 1720 combination 09/18/2010 05:42 PM CDT
You're probably under estimating how rare 1720 is. I've only found two 1708 wands so far as well.

The Nalfein Kitten
Re: 1708 and 1720 combination 09/18/2010 06:30 PM CDT
Scenario as mentioned above: 202 MIU ranks.

Wearing 1720 makes him immune to level 11 spells and lower for 1800 seconds or 30 min.

With the wand then, you unable to cast anything at them 7 levels or higher. 3 min duration.

Which means: Any spells you try to cast at said person if they are engaging CvC will not work.

So Question:

During those 3 minutes will wands or rods imbedded with spells bypass 1708? The wands and rods are activated via MIU. Since the person is wearing 1720 the wands and rods should have level 12 and higher spells in them. Right?

Peace
Zhelas

Re: 1708 and 1720 combination 09/21/2010 08:58 PM CDT
Do these spells prevent you from cast open disabling spells like 410, 435 and 709 which do not require a target and affecting said person? I wonder what an open implosion or open malestorm would do? Amulets are good for non-focused spell casting.

Having this happen during a hunt will slow you down for three minutes. In the field you can hit them back 3 minutes later, if you must.

In town, it is safe to ignore and is only annoying if you are spelling up or leaving for a hunt. In fact, you could walk away for three minutes and come back all full of verbal bluster in the hopes they hit you with it again. Exactly how many times will someone cast this combo before they figure out it doesn't affect anyone who walks away?

Debatable tactics, yes... but they were casting on you first. Gamehost love this sort of thing, so mileage will vary depending on how you execute it. Having said that, I would rather be the guy who walked away.

Magarven the Mad