Avian Companions 04/01/2015 11:48 AM CDT
Hello, rangers!

I am curious how our avian-befriended rangers typically spend time with their birds. Are they constantly on the wing? Do you have your companion land for ease of petting and other interactions?

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Avian Companions 04/01/2015 11:55 AM CDT
<<I am curious how our avian-befriended rangers typically spend time with their birds. Are they constantly on the wing? Do you have your companion land for ease of petting and other interactions?

I mostly use them for ranged target practice!

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Avian Companions 04/01/2015 11:56 AM CDT
Joking aside, I'm sure Keios wants to hear the real answers and her post is one of the few from Staff today not in jest for April Fool's day.

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Avian Companions 04/01/2015 12:12 PM CDT
>I am curious how our avian-befriended rangers typically spend time with their birds. Are they constantly on the wing? Do you have your companion land for ease of petting and other interactions?

I keep mine flying. Most, if not all, rangers with avian companions keep them in the air.

I imagine our primary reason is a subconscious one in that we see flying as their default state. Birds don't spend a lot of time on the ground. The second, at least in my case, is to keep people from touching the animal.

I will bring mine down on occasion to interact with her, or feed her herbs. I don't do either, often. I do talk to her a lot, though. I'll also interact with her via ACT once in a while, since the companion verbs are limited and can't always express the concept I want.

This actually gives me a cool idea. What about, if a ranger is in a forested or cultivated terrain (or an otherwise appropriate terrain), they land on the branch of a nearby tree. Perhaps it would be better if we could specify ground vs. tree. That way, we can keep them out of range of people's grubby hands in trees and so they're not permanently in the sky. It seems a more natural place for them.

~Brian, Sepher's player

(Kaldonis does not like Sepher and thinks he is wasting time.)
Re: Avian Companions 04/01/2015 02:28 PM CDT
Mine stays flying 99% of the time. He's kind of grouchy and hates everyone.

The one thing I wish I could do with my avian AC is to have it be able to interact more (or rather, interact at all) with other PCs or objects. The other categories can via nudge (canine, feline, and rodent) or drag (canine, feline). While being able to send messages was definitely the major reason why I went with an avian, I am constantly sad that I can't tell mine to do anything else with other PCs to interact with them outside of the random ambient messaging. I'm sure that other non-avian AC owners would like a bit more RP type of interactions, too.

For example:

>TELL COMP TO WATCH <target>
Your companion settles in a position of watchfulness, focusing its attention on [person/object].

>TELL COMP TO STALK <target>
Circling around, your companion surreptitiously takes up position behind [person/object].
(No combat bonuses conveyed.)

And if you want to leave open the concept that ACs are sentient in and of themselves, wild animals who might have their own sense of what they will or will not do..

>TELL COMP TO INTERACT <target>
Random message of:
1. Your companion openly approaches [person/object] only to fall back at the last minute with a [Avian: loud screech / Canine: low growl / Feline: sudden hiss / Rodent: piercing squeal].
2a. [Avian/flying:] Your companion glides toward [person/object] in a low swoop, turning at the last minute with a playful twist.
2b. [Avian/grounded:] Your companion hops toward [person/object] to give [him/her/it] a gentle peck.
2c. [Feline/Canine/Rodent:] Your companion pads up to [person/object] and gives [him/her/it] a gentle headbutt.
3a. [Avian/flying:] Your companion swoops past [person/object], feathers barely brushing against [him/her/it].
3b. [All but avian/flying:] Your companion rubs against [person/object].
4a. [Avian/flying:] Your companion flies in a low circle around [person/object].
4b. [All but avian/flying:] Your companion sits in front of [person/object], starting at [him/her/it] with wide eyes and [Avian: a partially opened beak / Canine: a plaintive whine / Feline: a playful chirp / Rodent: a twitching nose].

If anything like these or other verbs are ever implemented, please please please make them able to target wizard familiars. I'd love for my avian to be able to interact with his one other feathered friend.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Avian Companions 04/02/2015 11:32 AM CDT

I actually have my barrow crow land quite often when I am resting, sometimes for interacting with her, other times to sleep. Although I do sometimes forget to tell her to fly before heading out and she hops along behind me.
Re: Avian Companions 04/06/2015 05:08 PM CDT

On my ranger and his falcon Rai is almost always in the air. I think the only time he wasn't was when I wanted to show people how cute he was while sleeping.

I've got one of the avian gloves I used to use a lot to interact with him. It would be neat if he could perch on there, or on a shoulder saddle or something. Those are the only times I can think of where I wouldn't have him flying regularly, as my ranger was often on the go.
Re: Avian Companions 04/09/2015 03:14 PM CDT
> It would be neat if he could perch on there, or on a shoulder saddle or something.

This is what I was thinking.. it would be cool if you could tell them to land on your arm, so you have them in range to do interaction, but other people can't bug them and you basically carry them while they're perched on your glove or shoulder saddle.

--

arulisse.tumblr.com
Re: Avian Companions 04/09/2015 03:31 PM CDT

Other people always bug companions. I still would love a companion demeanor verb, with memory to any that ever cause them harm.