Companion Type Clarification 03/27/2015 01:28 PM CDT
>>Alas, skunks aren't rodents. Neither are rabbits, bats, sugar gliders, hedgehogs, moles, weasles, sloths, and raccoons. Keios @ http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Quests%60Sagas%60Events/Duskruin%20Arena/view/419

Just a quick question - and I'm totally unsure so I'm not trying to lead anywhere but to clarification. Since I'm considering updating a ton of climate / terrain information and linking to herbs / flowers / poisons, etc., I thought I'd take a look at these, which is the only reason I'm even posting. And the real reason for my asking. I believe when ranger companion summoning, the following are considered 'rodent'.

Animal Companions: Rodents
Badger Graiphel Nutria Vole
Barrowrat Groundhog Passo Weasel
Beaver Hedgehog Porcupine Whiskrat
Boarrat Marmot Raccoon Wolverine
Burrovine Mink Rat Wombat
Cacevail Mole Rockrat Woodchuck
Caiverine Mongoose Sandrat Woodshrew
Capybara Muskrat Sloth
Ferret Muzzlerat Tothis

Is this still considered accurate from a ranger companion perspective? It would seem to conflict with the referenced post.

Doug
Re: Companion Type Clarification 03/27/2015 01:34 PM CDT
They are the "rodent category" of AC, yes, which contrasts against the "feline", "canine", and "avian" AC categories.

They are not all technically rodents, in that not all of them are of the Order Rodentia.

Similarly, hyenas are technically not canines - they're of the family Hyaenidae, not Canidae - but they're still in the canine category for the purposes of AC. There are a few exceptions like that.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Companion Type Clarification 03/27/2015 01:45 PM CDT
Agree with the statement and the taxonomies as listed. And yep, tracking the other three AC categories, as well.

Appreciate the confirmation that still seems to be in place. Would appreciate confirmation no updates are pending (lot of editing being planned here).

Still, skunks didn't make the list. Not even a badger / racoon (musteloidea) by any other odor. Heh.

Doug
Re: Companion Type Clarification 03/27/2015 06:51 PM CDT
The post you are referencing is specifically about the alter restrictions for sewer rats Doug. The list you posted is indeed correct, as far as I know, and all those types of companions can still be found. The "rodent" animal companion category is really a misnomer. It's essentially the catch all category for anything that isn't a canine, feline or avian.

Keith/Brinret/Shiun

Brinret says, "Bring it on."
A bolt of lightning streaks down from the sky and strikes Brinret!
... 16428101 points of damage!
Powerful blast reduces Brinret to a smoldering pile of ash!
Re: Companion Type Clarification 03/27/2015 07:06 PM CDT
>>Appreciate the confirmation that still seems to be in place. Would appreciate confirmation no updates are pending (lot of editing being planned here).

The classification of Animal Companions for rangers has no bearing on which animals are suitable for the new "Cranky Pet Rodent" script on the sewer rats available in Duskruin.

There are currently no plans on changing the available creatures in the "Rodent" category for Ranger Animal Companions.

I wouldn't mind changing the classification name, though, to "random smallish sometimes bitey animals" instead of "Rodents", since it's obvious a good third to half of the "Rodent" list aren't rodents at all. (This statement only partially in jest.)

-KEIOS
Keios is pretty amazing. ~Wyrom

Re: Companion Type Clarification 03/27/2015 07:18 PM CDT
Thanks, Keios, appreciate the confirm.

Was talking with others about that very fact! No wonder badgers are cranky, since rangers call them rodents.

Doug