Companions Not Automatically Updating Targets 02/23/2015 06:15 PM CST
Log below:

A striking white peregrine raptor lunges forward and rakes her talons across a war griffin faster than it can react!
... 10 points of damage!
Awkward slash to the war griffin's stomach!
Everyone needs another belly button.
R>

[Removed unnecessary stuff]

>amb grif neck
You swing a perfect folded vultite falchion at a war griffin!
AS: +543 vs DS: +145 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +35 = +468
... and hit for 123 points of damage!
Gruesome slash to the war griffin's throat!
That stings... for about a second.

[You have 7 kills remaining.]
The war griffin crashes to the ground, motionless.
A war griffin no longer seems distracted.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
R>l
[Old Ta'Faendryl, West - 11832]
Amidst the cracked and beaten walls lining the edges of the road, a granite column rises like a slender grey finger pointing toward the sun. It appears to be the only survivor of a series of columns that now lie scattered in chunks and pieces across the ground at its base. You also see an Ithzir janissary, a striking white peregrine raptor that is flying around and a war griffin that appears dead.
Obvious paths: east, west
R>
An Ithzir seer walks in, calmly surveying the surroundings.
R>
A striking white peregrine raptor prods at the corpse of a war griffin with her beak.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Companions Not Automatically Updating Targets 02/23/2015 06:59 PM CST
I guess I should also note that the companion went into attack mode when a griffin (the one that died in the log) tried to pick me up for a flight and dropped me on my head.

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Companions Not Automatically Updating Targets 02/23/2015 07:50 PM CST

Fornsake of argument what happens when you tell it to attack? Wonder if it has issues targetting when it reacts to a monster attacking you causing it to react.
Re: Companions Not Automatically Updating Targets 02/23/2015 08:52 PM CST
>Fornsake of argument what happens when you tell it to attack? Wonder if it has issues targetting when it reacts to a monster attacking you causing it to react.

Not sure if the companion will respond differently in that case. I just mentioned it because I thought Keios said she updated companions such that they will automatically attack living targets if available. I could be misremembering what she said, however (and I'm too lazy to look back).

~Brian, Sepher's player
Re: Companions Not Automatically Updating Targets 02/25/2015 03:27 PM CST
Based on what GameMaster Keios posted, you would have to have a new "target" for the companion to attack it within the window. Target is auto-set if you attack it, but otherwise you might be able to simply type TARGET [critter]? I haven't tested it myself, as I don't have a ranger with a companion (yet).

I suspect it works like this so your companion doesn't attack a critter if you aren't going to engage it in combat.

>A striking white peregrine raptor soars in and shrieks, "CHASING!"

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Companions Not Automatically Updating Targets 02/25/2015 04:17 PM CST
Ah ha. You are correct.

Here are some random things I discovered while testing this.

First, using TARGET.

If you set a target, and you simply tell a companion to attack (without telling it to ATTACK <creature>), it seems to ignore your TARGET setting and go for the first thing in the room. Initiate, then janissary in the room with me.

You are now targeting an Ithzir janissary.

>tell compan to attack
Your companion senses your atavistic feelings and her raw untamed emotions begin to surface, as she turns her attention fully towards the Ithzir initiate that she believes is the source of your irritation.

A striking white peregrine raptor lunges forward and rakes her talons across an Ithzir initiate faster than he can react!
... 30 points of damage!
Deep slash to the Ithzir initiate's neck severs an artery!
The Ithzir initiate chokes to death on his own blood.
The Ithzir initiate wheezes, an incredulous look on his face as he falls.

Now, I left the initiate dead on the ground to see if the companion would go for my TARGET setting this time, and she does.

You are now targeting an Ithzir janissary.

A striking white peregrine raptor lunges forward and rakes her talons across an Ithzir janissary faster than he can react!
... 20 points of damage!
Diagonal slash leaves a bloody trail across the Ithzir janissary's torso.

You search the Ithzir initiate.
He had a twisted crystal-tipped staff.
You discard the initiate's remaining useless equipment.
He carried a badly damaged tanik trunk on him!
An Ithzir initiate's body shimmers slightly, then fades from view like a dissipating phantom.

So, if the ranger does not set another target, either manually or by attacking something, the companion will toy with the corpse until it decays or is looted. Once this occurs, the companion will automatically move on to another creature behaving in the ways described -- that is, it stays in attack mode.

As before, companions in attack mode will continue their attack rounds until the ranger tells them to cease, or the companion stays out of the presence of a creature for 3 minutes. It will attack anything you stand in front of long enough for an attack round to occur.

There doesn't seem to be more than one type of ATTACK mode. Companions self-activating as a result of an incapacitated ranger is the same as typing TELL COMPANION TO ATTACK <the creature that stunned/whatever you>. This means that if you do not want your companion to continue attacking after it self-activates and saves you, you must manually tell it to cease.

~Brian, Sepher's player